Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Decoys

Rackaddict

Life Member
I was wondering if anyone in the "clan" use deer decoys and what kind of success you have with them. What type do you use? What are your setups etc. I've had limited success with decoys but enough to keep at it. I had my best luck using an old shoulder mount 8 pt. that we attach to a tree and brush in around the base. I had a couple of average size bucks stand and stare at it one morning. I would have had plenty of shot opps if I had wanted to take one. It was interesting just to see their reaction. I've used the Redi Doe decoy also but it seems to spook deer. My assumption is that it looks too fake besides setting it up as a doe just seems to attract a bunch of nosy old does that usually run off snorting. It seems that setting it up as a buck works better but still not great.

I decided that in the off season I would do an overhall of my decoy. I got a deer hide and am in the process of covering my decoy with a real hide. So far it's coming along well. I've got the body finished and am ready to start on the head. I'm planning on making the ears adjustable so I can set it up with different postures and also using glass eyes for the added realism. The head is going to be the tough part but I think it will be worth the extra effort.

If anyone has some good setups, I'd love to hear about them.

I'd say you are on the right track. I am, by no means, an expert on decoys but can tell you that the plastic decoy I had was a pain the - - -! Was exremely loud to set up and too big to carry with bow and all my other accessories. I've heard a lot of good about the silhouette decoys. I might try one of those next. Except I don't think windy days would accomodate it very well. Let us know how your decoy works that you're making. Good Luck!

bouncefire.gif

A couple guys were talking about the Renzo buck decoy last fall. Do a search on Renzo, and it should show up. They are pretty cheap, and mostly, they are easy to carry and set up because they are 2-D. I'm thinking about trying their turkey decoys this spring

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT M350 HAS HAD SOME LUCK USING THEM. DO A PHOTO SEARCH. IF BEEN MEANING TO TRY THEM, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE I AM CARRYING MORE AND MORE CRAP IN EVERY YEAR AND JUST HAVEN'T HAD THE MOTIVATION TO TRY THEM YET.

I got one last year and had "good results". For me is was a big pain to carry it in but once I got there the bucks (mostly 1.5 year olds) did come right into the decoy. A couple even came in and touched noses with it. I used the carry lite model and set up along food plot edges.
I did have 2 bucks that came in one time and the bigger of the 2 wanted nothing to do with the decoy. (it looked like he and recently had is but kicked.)

I have a carry-lite that I used with the antlers the first week of November. I had quite a few bucks come into range, and some that walked right up to it. I used it when I was in my double bull, and at the end of the day, I would take off the head section and lay it down inside the blind. That way I didn't have to carry it back and forth every day.

Haulin them in and out is a big pain for sure but......after seeing a picture of Limbs golfbag cart that he hauls his blind with I got to thinking I needed on to give my decoy a ride.

Hey Limb, I just found one of these while scouting on public ground. It has plastic wheels. Does yours have plastic wheels? How well does it go over logs?

I had mixed results with mine last season. You definetly need to put it where the deer can spot it at a distance. If they are to close when they finally see it they spook more times than not.

I would'nt recommend trying this but, 1 time coming out of the woods I was carrying the decoy assembled on my shoulder. It was dark, and when I got to an open field and the last 200 yard walk to my truck there were all kinds of deer there with me. You would not believe how close I came to some of those deer. 10 feet was the closest. Most of them were young deer but I was still within bow range of a couple of shooters. They were all looking at me as I walked. I even stopped and they still stood there. They took off only after I got to my truck and set the decoy down. Pretty cool...

deadeye,
It works well. Haven't used it all that much however two beards has used his and says they work well. I have figured out a way to get my layout blinds on it as well. There is a hundred uses for the things however one of them is not carring a golf bag.
grin.gif

26turkeycart.gif

Guys, using a golf pull cart for hauling your blind or decoy works great. I usually throw all my gear-backpack, extra clothing, food & water-
on the pull cart also.

It's best used in and around open fields. Crossing fences can be a hassle and I don't recommend using inside the timber...take my word on this one
cussing.gif

If you decide to use one, I'd go with one that's fairly heavy duty, so it doesn't squeak when you're pulling it. Also, the wider the tires the better...thin tires tend to sink, and grab, when the ground is wet/soft.

Sorry Rack
offtopic.gif

As far as deer decoys. I bought a Carry-Lite a few years back, haven't used it too many times because it's such a pain to get to my stand sites. However, my partner has sure taken a liking to it. In '02 he shot a 140's 10 pt that came right in to the deke. Last year he had several great bucks come in, including a brute with a 8" drop. He never closed the deal, but he swears by that decoy!

We usually set ours up with only one side of the rack and tape 4" strips of white garbage sack on the ears and tail that blows in the wind.

TB

Sorry I don't have my DB in Dubuque with me. Had to show off the golf bag. The wheels are good and wide, but they are plastic and dont look as durable maybe as your cart. Not too bad for a find while scouting though.

1263golfbagcarrier-med.JPG

Does the score card show a reason why they maybe "threw" the clubs away?
grin.gif
Sure looks like someone would be missing something like that.

Deadeye,
Are you sure it wasn't a "Public course" you found it on, and not just "Public ground?"
grin.gif

CRITR

Yes I am 100% sure it was on the public ground. Their is a public golf course fairly close. I thought at first high water took it and left it there. But now I think somebody was using it and thought they broke the wheel and left it. It was a good find.

Top Bottom