Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Jerky

Camohead

BugleM, What kind of a dehydrator did you get?
I'm asking because I am contemplating getting one to do the same thing.

CH

My Family's favorite sweet jerky is: sliced thin somewhat against the grain(so it isn't too chewy) then soaked in 50/50 soy and Teriaki sauce overnight(any Teriaki sauce will do but we prefer the type that is thicker & sweeter than Soy sauce). Then I smoke it for 2-3 hours before dehydrating it. I have mixed a little liquid smoke in the marinate instead of smoking it, and that works well too. I dry it out pretty darn thoroughly, then put it in ziplock type bags and stick it in the fridge for a week or so and it gets a real even texture ad dryness.

It disappears like candy at our house.

If you get a jerky gun, you can do the same with ground meat. My wife prefers that because it isn't quite as chewy.

enjoy!

I got a dehydrator for X-mas because I have been wanting to try making some Deer Jerky.
Does anybody have any good recipes that you would to share with me??

Slice it thin. Mix 4 ounce of liquid smoke with 8 ounces of soy sauce and slosh the meat around in it (don't soak for more than 4-6 minutes unless you like it pretty strong). Then dehydrate it. It's as simple as that, all your friends will be fighting over it. Hide it or lose it.

I've been using an American Harvest Dehydrator for about a year now, and it makes great jerky. It is the 500 watt version (they make a bigger one than that), and it can dry 2 pounds of jerky in about 4 hours.I also use the Jerky Shooter that looks like a small caulking gun, and it makes the strips just the right thickness. I really like this dehydrator, because with the fan, you don't have to rotate the trays or flip the jerky while it's drying. I use ground meat, and mix in the Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning (original blend) that you can get at most supermarkets. For 2 pounds, I also add in 2 tsp. of black pepper, 1 1/2 tsp. of Cajun seasoning, and 1 tsp. of Cayenne pepper. That gives the jerky a nice 'kick' without making it too hot. This has been real popular with my kids, friends and co-workers. I even put some in gift baskets that we put together for the landowners who let me hunt on their farms.

[This message has been edited by CamoMan (edited 01-05-2002).]

My spousal unit, who has killed more deer than me this year, is the queen of jerky.

In fact, friends bring their venison over to have her make it for them. She starts with a prepacked jerky cure then she kicks it up several notches.

we have Non-hunting friends that want to go deer hunting just to have her make more. she really puts a lot of time and thought into it.

actually, I don't even care for it anymore. I prefer other forms of eating and consuming it.

Thanks for help and fun recipes.
The American Harvest Express by Nesco is the dehydrator I have, it sounds like the same as the one mentioned by CamoMan. The 500 watts is much better than other inexpensive brands. There are certainly more expensive models out there but until I really get into it and find out how much I'll really use it I thought this will do just fine. I have read some good reviews about this one and for the money you can't beat it.
I am going to attempt my first batch this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is what we use hope you like it!

Deer Jerky

3lbs of lean venison 1 to 2 teaspoons of pepper
1 tablespoon salt 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder cup Soy sauce
1 teaspoon Garlic powder 1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Cut venison into to thick strips mix all other ingredients together and pour over meat. Marinate overnight then remove from marinade and dry with paper towel. Dry in oven until dry at 200 degree about 12 hours. Or place in dehydrator for about 12 to 14 hours depending on thickness of meat.

I normally use the High Mountain Jerky cure there are directions inside the box for mixing instructions , but I have found that having an acurate weight of the meat is real
important.

Intruder

Top Bottom