Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Management Legislation?

BW

I may have been dreaming, but on the work this A.M. but I was listening to WHO radio and I thought I heard a speel about the legislators wanting to increase tag numbers and decrease fees for both resident and non resident deer hunters and also have someone collect better road kill data for identifying deer hot spots. Thus an interest in reducing deer numbers.

Anyone else hear of this?

What's on Buckmasters is the same information I posted back on Nov 15.

Doug

Here it is guys... Thanks Doug!

"The Iowa DNR recommended a number of changes and clarifications to the regulations covering nonresident (NR) deer hunting in Iowa. The changes were approved by the Natural Resource Commission and will be available for public comment until Dec. 18."
"The amended rule includes requiring NR hunters to have in their possession a valid NR hunting license, changes the legal shooting hours from one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset for all methods of take and increases the number of NR statewide antlerless-only license by 1,000."

"Other amendments include lengthening the NR application period to the first Saturday in May through the first Sunday in June, and allowing hunter to apply as individuals or as a group of up to 15 applicants. All members of a group will be accepted or rejected togther in the drawing."

"The DNR is proposing to add langage to the rule requiring NR landowners to provide proof of ownership to have preference when purchasing an antlerless-only license. The preference allows NR landowners up to 14 days to purchase antlerless-only licenses before the licenses are available to NRs who do not own land in Iowa."

"The proposed rule also clarifies the preference point system for unsuccessful NR deer license applicants. Preference points will apply only to obtaining an any-sex deer license. Once an applicant receives an any-sex NR deer hunting license, all preference points will be removed until the applicant is again unsuccessful in a drawing. The first drawing for any-sex licenses each year will be made from the pool of applicants with the most preference points."

"The final amendments would allow NRs to apply for or purchase a NR deer license to participate in a special deer hunting season for severely disabled persons. The amendment also outlines the application procedure and requirements for this special season."

To receive a copy of this rule, call (515) 281-5034.

For more information contact Richard Bishop at (515) 281-6156.

(EXPLANATION OF CHANGES)

Previously NRs only needed their NR deer hunting license. The required purchase of a NR small game hunting license is included in the $308 NR deer license price.

The legal shooting hours went into effect for residents this year for all methods of take (shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun and bow).

The group application number increased to 15 from 4.

NR landowners will be given a chance to get antlerless-only tags for their property before they go on sale to all other NRs.

Previously, if a NR accepted an antlerless-only deer license they lost their preference points.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

There was an article in the Des Moines Register that stated the legislature had already approved (& sent to the govenor) the increased fees for non-resident deer hunters and increased fees for all habitat stamps.
I feel sorry for all hunters in Iowa that the fees have gotten so high in comparision to other states. Also some states have recipricol fees so the Iowa hunters that go out of state may be in for a shock!

Top Bottom