Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Numbers too high

Fishbonker

Life Member
Got this in an email yesterday.

DearFarm Bureau Member:

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has proposed several new restrictions for deer hunters in 2011, including a plan to eliminate a total of 23,450 paid antlerless deer tags in 35 designated counties.

The list of counties offering fewer tags includes several in northeast Iowa and other areas of the state where farmers have indicated that the deer population is still hazardous and costly. For example, the proposal would reduce the number of antlerless tags in Clayton County by 3,300, in Allamakee by 1,800, in Winneshiek by 1,400, and in Fayette by 1,200.

DNR has supported its decision by claiming that the deer population is dropping, as indicated by a generally declining trend in deer harvest numbers over the past few years. The agency currently projects that the statewide deer population is 5-10 percent above its “management goal.”

Email DNR Wildlife Bureau Chief Dale Garner today! Tell him about the deer population in your area (be sure to indicate which county you live in). Is the population too high, posing a risk to safety and property, or is it acceptable? How would further restrictions on deer hunters, including a reduction in antlerless deer tags, help or hurt your farm?

Have your participated in DNR’s deer depredation program? Has that program helped your situation or not?

If the deer population is too high in your area, ask DNR to not place more restrictions on deer hunters, including a reduction in antlerless deer tags. Click on the link at the bottom of this email to submit your comments now!

DNR’s decision to place new restrictions on deer hunters and reduce the number of tags is important – your input will help the agency determine whether that decision is wise or misguided.

Sincerely,

Zach Bader
Grassroots Program Manager
Iowa Farm Bureau

Click the link below to log in and send your message:
http://www.votervoice.net/link/target/ifbf/Q6W73gGc.aspx

I will be using the link to send Mr. Gardner my support for backing off the numbers. Nice the FB provides the real grass roots conservationists in Iowa a free link to the DNR.

Thanks for the heads up! It's funny how the farm bureau gave the DNR no credit for bringing the herd level down. The farm bureau won't stop until the deer herd is eradicated!

I just sent in my response.

I just sent a letter. I'm sure a FB rep will screen each letter and discard the ones that don't represent the best interests of their efforts....

I think the email goes automatically to Mr. Garners "inbox" and doesn't go through any validation by the FB. If so only FB members emails would go through and I know Mr. Garner got mine today. The first time the FB put up a link(several months ago and I don't remember the issue) I filled out the form and expected tons of junk email from them. No emails but I have gotten some snail mail advertizing crap. Went right in the shreader and then to recycle. Good thing I can put their stuff to good use by recycling it.

This is really funny. I think most landowners here in Allamakee will praise the DNR for reducing the tags. Hopefully the FB members here will respond and state that deer #'s have decreased drastically over the past 3-4 years. With excess doe harvests and 3 bad winters I think the #'s are close to where they need to be.

Thanks for the heads up! It's funny how the farm bureau gave the DNR no credit for bringing the herd level down. The farm bureau won't stop until the deer herd is eradicated!

I just sent in my response.

And then they will move on to a different species! :thrwrck:

And then they will move on to a different species! :thrwrck:

You hit the nail on the head. My dad went to the meeting they had about the elk in Allamakee County that they shot a couple months ago. It wasn't about CWD, it was about the farm bureau. I really get the impression that its all about Iowa farmers getting 200 bushels an acre and the Farm Bureau is going to do anything and everything to maintain that. It's not about safety or overpopulation, it's making sure these already heavily subsidized farmers can make every single dollar possible. The Farm Bureau is easily the biggest threat of any lobby to quality deer hunting in the state of Iowa. You guys think NRLO's have money behind them? Psh. It's nothing compared to the FB.

I really just have a hard time seeing how $8k/acre farm land and constantly operating a monocrop system is sustainable at ALL 5-10 years down the road.

wait and see what happens when congress cuts farm subsidies.. and when everyone figures out ethonal = sky high food prices

You hit the nail on the head. My dad went to the meeting they had about the elk in Allamakee County that they shot a couple months ago. It wasn't about CWD, it was about the farm bureau. I really get the impression that its all about Iowa farmers getting 200 bushels an acre and the Farm Bureau is going to do anything and everything to maintain that. It's not about safety or overpopulation, it's making sure these already heavily subsidized farmers can make every single dollar possible. The Farm Bureau is easily the biggest threat of any lobby to quality deer hunting in the state of Iowa. You guys think NRLO's have money behind them? Psh. It's nothing compared to the FB.

I really just have a hard time seeing how $8k/acre farm land and constantly operating a monocrop system is sustainable at ALL 5-10 years down the road.
I'm glad you admit the Farm Bureau, and NRLO's are both threats to quality deer hunting in the state of Iowa.

and when everyone figures out ethonal = sky high food prices

you do realize there is FAR more energy cost in a box of corn flakes than there is corn right?

last I knew there was about 7 cents worth of corn in a box of corn flakes, call it double that now and you're talking about a 7 cent increase.

Meat? livestock prices trade completely separately from grain, high corn prices do not mean high beef prices.

A weak dollar is a rising tide for commodities.

Last edited:
$8k/acre farm land and constantly operating a monocrop system is sustainable at ALL

it's not. The guys paying 8K are leveraging the ground they bought for $1500 to do it.

At 8K you can't pencil out a profit unless you are averaging in acres bought much more cheaply.

Let’s steer this thread back to the original premise and that is FB thinks the deer numbers are too high and would like all of the current tag allotments to remain the same therefore keeping all of the extra seasons in place.

The responses so far are 4-1 in favor of keeping the tags and seasons as they are. We all know what will happen to the deer herd in Iowa if the harvest continues as is and all the seasons stay in place. The DNR, IMHO has a good plan in place and they are sticking to the plan. They are reaching their goals and they are starting to back off on the harvest of does by dropping the number of tags available and shortening/eliminating some of the bonus seasons. If you support this plan please go back to the link in the thread starter and tell the DNR, on the FB's dime I might add, that the plan is working and the deer harvest should be reduced not increased.

Do it today for tomorrow’s deer.

I think we're past the problem of "deer numbers are too high" and our bigger problem is "Farm Bureau has way too much decision and lobby power in our DNR & legislature".

The extra deer seasons need to disappear. The late antlerless is a disaster for tons of reasons (I know, NOT just all the shed bucks killed) and far far far far far far worse than the November doe season. Both need to go but the late one is 1000x worse in many regards.

Last edited:
Right Cedar, Resident hunters in Iowa are the epitome of QDM. I've eaten tag soup and watched a crew from Des Moines pull out with a load of 2 yr olds.

So I sent my letter, but I am concerned that by responding through that site that it will put me on a "FOR" list. Is Lande even getting these emails or is he getting a list of names opposing the restrictions? Damn I hate the FB! :mad:

Just sent an email stressing the need to reduce antlerless seasons and harvest goals-as well as where I stood on the matter.

It was respectful and to the point.

I got a little long winded and sent this off to Dale Garner.

Mr. Garner,

It is my understanding that you would like input on the deer population in Iowa from real boots on the ground deer hunters. So here are my thoughts and experiences over the last four or five years of hunting here in Iowa.

I live in Page County and reside in Clarinda. I am married, sixty one years of age, and I consider myself an outdoorsman and have been for my entire life. I have always enjoyed the outdoors and the wildlife resources that Iowa has to offer. I own 80 acres of prime wildlife habitat in SW Adair County. However I hunt mostly in Page County on privately owned properties that I have the privilege to hunt.

My hunting interest is primarily bow hunting & Late Season Muzzleloader hunting of whitetail deer. I also spend many hours varmint calling every fall and winter. I hunt the Spring Turkey season every year.

The Wild Turkey program in Iowa is a wonderful success and turkey numbers are high.

Coyote numbers fluctuate depending on disease, hunting pressure, and availability of food resources. I manage to call in & shoot my fair share of coyote every year.

The Red Fox population appears to finally have started to make a come back? I am calling more of them in the last couple of years, I have not however been harvesting fox yet.

Bobcat sighting are also increasing here in Page County. I see more of those spotted cats every year when calling. The quota has always been met by the time I get them to come to the call so far. I will get lucky one of these days.

I also spend many hours afield shed antler hunting, searching for Morel Mushrooms, and I like to search for Native American Artifacts.

Why am I telling you all of this information? I want you to know that I spend a large amount of time in the outdoors.

I can say with sound confidence that the deer numbers in Page County have dramatically dropped in the recent years. As the deer numbers has dropped the hunting pressure on the better hunting ground has increased.

The lack of good hunting opportunities and access has caused many former hunters to stop going afield to pursue their favorite game. This trend is likely to continue as acquisition & leasing of good hunting properties for hunting increases as it has in recent years.

I am aware of the difficult task of balancing the wildlife resources, public opinions, and business interest. I know the farmers and insurance companies are lobbying the DNR to allow longer hunting seasons and additional licenses for both resident and non-resident hunters.

I do not however, know any farmers standing in the soup line for a meal or receiving title nineteen. Most drive newer 4x4 pickups, and have larger expensive crop harvesting equipment. Farmers are in fact heavily subsidized by state and federal programs as you are aware.

I am also not aware of any of the insurance industries filing for bankruptcy. If the insurance companies had their way we would have no deer in Iowa.

The decrease in the deer population here in Page County is very obvious me. I believe Iowa DNR’s programs targeting the decrease in the whitetail deer population to a 1990’s level has worked……..perhaps too well.

I want to thank you for taking the time to read this. Please feel free to contact me either by phone, email, or mail if you wish to discuss content of this communication further.

Respectfully,

Ron Wyllie

Top Bottom