Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer population Map/Poll

blake

Life Member
iw.l_header.jpg
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PMA Memberships and IBA Memberships & Renewals

hoofline.gif

There has been a lot of discussion over that past two years and certainly this season about the whitetail population in Iowa. Some think it is just right, some think it is to low, and some feel the population is still too high.

Therefore I have put together yet another poll on the subject of the current deer population in Iowa. This poll should give all of us a better understanding from a hunters view point I hope.

Perhaps the DNR will take a look at this poll and gain some useful information from it also.

Please vote the appropriate region that you hunt in.
IA_btn_navigation_map.gif

Your vote in this poll is not scientific and reflects the opinions of only those iowawhitetail.com members who have chosen to participate. The results of this poll cannot be assumed to represent the opinions of all iowawhitetail.com users in general, nor the public as a whole.

hoofline.gif

The question is, do you feel the deer population in your hunting area is just right, too high, or too low?

Good idea. I'd like to be able to see the reults from the other areas I don't hunt in and threfore didn't vote in.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vote "just looking" Bonker. </div></div>

Just like my momma used to say "close your mouth and open your eyes".

The 'Bonker

nice work Ron, this is very interesting.

as dedicated deer hunters i think we all would like to see 'more deer', so i tried to take an objective look based on what i see/saw in areas i hunt/hunted.

personally, the "level of control" that the IDNR is shooting for to me seems low. but i have no degree to back up that statement and realize it is just my opinion, but i definatly think certian areas in the state have TOO LOW of a population.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice work Ron, this is very interesting. </div></div>

Very good idea! I was wondering how we could have a better idea by area rather then statewide.

Thanks Ron! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the problem access? </div></div>

That could be it. I can name off so many landowners, some from out of state, and some from within, who have purchased property in recent years (mainly since the Louvensten buck was shot), and will only allow a select few to hunt.

It's these refuge type areas that we are running into problems with the population, and nothing can be done. In the end its up the landowner, and if the landowner doesn't want anyone hunting, then there is nothing the DNR can do about the population, no matter how many doe tags are allocated to the county.

maybe the survey should have asked about size of of deer herds rather than Too High, Too Low, Just Right...

for example:
*Hardly see any
*A few individual deer
*Small Herds (2-5)
*Medium Herds (6-12)
*Large Herds (13+)

I'm sure the DNR will consider this highly scientific poll when discussing the future of Iowa deer management. Good post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Back40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure the DNR will consider this highly scientific poll when discussing the future of Iowa deer management. Good post. </div></div>

Not to worry...they are watching and listening...they know however not to let emotions stand in the way of sound managment principles with the exception of things beyond their control.

As hunters we are only one piece of the pie and as much as we would like, we can't always have it "our way".

I am glad we have a voice and that we can be heard thru this forum and the IBA... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom