Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer Reacting to Cell Cams

I have a NR friend who is buying points for the Iowa archery draw. I've been contemplating not running cameras that year. Less intrusion into the areas. Won't have camera shy bucks avoiding the area. But then won't have pics to show my guest what he should maybe be holding out for. But that is a whole other slippery slope, as I've held out for a specific buck in the past and ate tag soup.

I've been contemplating not running cameras
Something I'm considering as well. I might just put some out in mid-August until late September, by then I know what's round. Once the last week of October arrives you never know what bucks will venture by anyway. Holding out for a specific buck never seems to work out.

Last year was the my first year using reveals. First and only picture of this buck. I know he was around and on the farm because I seen him. But in front of the camera again, NOPE. Mature deer definitely know something is up.
I personally just like to know what is around and what survived. That's about all I use them for, having 25 cameras out like some people do takes the fun out of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240901_232821_Reveal.jpg
    Screenshot_20240901_232821_Reveal.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 46
Last year was the my first year using reveals. First and only picture of this buck. I know he was around and on the farm because I seen him. But in front of the camera again, NOPE. Mature deer definitely know something is up.
I personally just like to know what is around and what survived. That's about all I use them for, having 25 cameras out like some people do takes the fun out of it.

That could be flash, and not necessarily cell signal. I’ve had similar results with non cellular cameras.

That being said, once I switched to better cameras (Reconyx) and reduced the flash output to medium, I’ve never had an issue again. Same with no glow cameras, tend not to have issues.

Jury is out for me. We put hotel rooms, in the form of a Redneck blind in their habitat, and they “get used to it.” But a small box on a tree they’ll avoid. Idk. As I said I’m not sure. It’s not a predatory threat.

That could be flash, and not necessarily cell signal. I’ve had similar results with non cellular cameras.

That being said, once I switched to better cameras (Reconyx) and reduced the flash output to medium, I’ve never had an issue again. Same with no glow cameras, tend not to have issues.

This is interesting because based on what Don said the podcast “I ASSUME” he is using Reconyx cams as he uses the Reconyx software to track photos. I do feel that certain cameras make noise and certain flash types spook deer. I have used Tactacam cell cams the past couple years and continue to have mature deer on them. Typically these cams are in pinch points or over scrapes and mature deer show up. I do think human smell, flash, sound or something does scare some deer but I think that is the case for all cams.

Refreshed some batteries and pulled SD cards yesterday and this was definitely on my mind. All of my cameras are either in a box or hung high now. Another thing I thougth about, the big buck I referenced in my earlier reply, when he spooked it was usually within a few days of putting the camera out. So maybe he smelled it, saw/heard it go off, put the two together and bugged out?

The smell of messing with a camera I believe is WAY more educational to all deer. Tried gloves, spray, driving to them etc. See it every time.

The antennas, clicks, big external power, etc. associated with cell cams could be more of the problem than the electro energy?

Seems pre-mature making the statement without trying other brands. I know Reconyx is supposed to be the best etc. etc. but maybe their cell tech is more noticeable than a different brand's??

This is interesting because based on what Don said the podcast “I ASSUME” he is using Reconyx cams as he uses the Reconyx software to track photos. I do feel that certain cameras make noise and certain flash types spook deer. I have used Tactacam cell cams the past couple years and continue to have mature deer on them. Typically these cams are in pinch points or over scrapes and mature deer show up. I do think human smell, flash, sound or something does scare some deer but I think that is the case for all cams.

Yes, he mostly uses Reconyx cellular. He's mentioned this before. It's something to do with the cellular signal itself.

I've never had any issues with my Reconyx cameras spooking mature bucks after I changed the flash setting to medium. I know Don has 50+ Reconyx cameras and typically doesn't have an issue either. His observations were directly associated with the cellular signal as well..

There is something about cellular signals that is not compatible with life. I believe Deer may recognize this.

1725373669816.png

Jury is out for me. We put hotel rooms, in the form of a Redneck blind in their habitat, and they “get used to it.” But a small box on a tree they’ll avoid. Idk. As I said I’m not sure. It’s not a predatory threat.
Love this. Great point

So serious question- who feels they saw more deer/were picked off less before you carried a cell phone everyday into the stand? Or who feels like you get picked off now and dont have a clue how/why?

You're right on the radiofrequency part. It's not the same, but they actually have rednecks with solar charged lithum power for your phone, batteries etc.
Wow that's crazy! I'm more of a regular tree stand type of guy. Didn't even know blinds had that option, but it doesn't surprise me.

The smell of messing with a camera I believe is WAY more educational to all deer. Tried gloves, spray, driving to them etc. See it every time.

The antennas, clicks, big external power, etc. associated with cell cams could be more of the problem than the electro energy?

Seems pre-mature making the statement without trying other brands. I know Reconyx is supposed to be the best etc. etc. but maybe their cell tech is more noticeable than a different brand's??

The only 2 cell cams I've used are Reconyx and Spartan Go Cams so my experience is limited.

1. Spartan Go Cam: I set the trigger interval at 0 seconds and it's set to take 3 pics so there should not be a rest between trigger events. I rarely get more than one trigger event on a specific deer. It's usually 3 pics and gone even on plots unless they are way off in the distance. Coyotes come unglued. The 3 shot burst goes like this: 1st pic coyote, second pic starting directly at the cam, 3rd pic empty frame (with dust flying, lol).

2 . Reconyx: I have them set to send pics immediately and all flash outputs are set to medium. Deer and older bucks linger in front of them forever, even when a few feet from the cam. This indicates to me they do not sense the signal or anything unique with Reconyx. They lurk so long sometimes that they run up my montly charges!!

Tiny sample size but I'm confident my Reconyx don't spook them. We bought 3 solar panels for them this year that we just put out and boy are they big and noticeable. They are being noticed for sure but hopefully they will get used to them. I haven't had a chance to listen to Don's podcast but will soon.

So serious question- who feels they saw more deer/were picked off less before you carried a cell phone everyday into the stand? Or who feels like you get picked off now and dont have a clue how/why?
Even with this it isn't apples to apples since the cell phone is 10-30 feet up in a tree versus a trail camera at ground level IMO

Nonfactor IMO. Signal is not close enough to cause an issue up in a tree.

Interesting hypothesis for the ground hunter however..

Reactions: HWC
Top Bottom