Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer & Turkey Interaction

BW

I pretty much live in the woods every fall and have witnessed a lot of neat stuff.

Something I find facinating is when I see some type of interaction between deer and turkeys.

On a few occasions I have seen them hang out together. I once saw a 140" buck travel through the timber in a non linear path behind a flock of turkeys as they moved.

The last 2 seasons in one spot I have seen turkeys & deer playing or sparring.

Last year a young buck was "playing tag" with a group of tom turkeys. He would charge at them and they would run and vice versa. It went on for a few minutes then they went on their way.

I seen the same thing in the same spot Sunday morning. It was a last years fawn and what I believe to be the same group of tom turkeys.

A couple of toms would spread their wings and run after the fawn and it would jump & run around behind the toms and send them scurrying. This went on for a few mintutes again and they went about their business.

I find as much value in seeing this stuff as any big buck.

This playing occurred right out of roost both times which is typical for tom turkeys to play tag, but maybe they like having new friends.

What a nice day yesterday was to be in the woods even if you seen only the leaves falling.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom