Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Did I make a mistake buying a heavy barrelled gun?

IowaChiro

I ordered a Savage model 12 FV, chambered in 22-250. It's the cheaper stock, with accutrigger, and blued barrel. Topping it off with a redfield revenge 4-12x40 scope with accurange. Figured I would get some camo wrap for it. Anyway, I was wanting a 26 inch barrel, to maximize the velocity out of the 22-250, and while I was at it, I got the heavy barrel. I usually only have to walk 100 to 500 yards to my spots, so, was getting the heavy barrel a good or bad decision. I have never had buyers remorse over a gun and am probably just second guessing after analyzing too many damn forums....so, I want your opinions too:grin:

Just last week I also ordered a 22-250. Marlin X7VH. 26" bull barrel. I'm in the same boat weight wise:) If you're just walking to a certain location to sit and set up for shooting, i wouldn't worry about it. It's definitely not a good gun for leisurely walking and hunting. Let us know how she shoots!

It and the scope should arrive from Simmons warehouse on Thursday..depending on the weather, I may have it sighted in Thursday PM. I'll let you know. I have ruger mini 14 tactical coming, it will be my walking dog gun.

Sling it! That will make the walk in more enjoyable and wrapping the sling around your arm while shooting can help stabilize things.

The Savage ML10II weighs in at 7.75 lbs without the scope and I've carried it all over hunting. About as heavy as a gun as I would care to stalk with.

Sling it! That will make the walk in more enjoyable and wrapping the sling around your arm while shooting can help stabilize things.

The Savage ML10II weighs in at 7.75 lbs without the scope and I've carried it all over hunting. About as heavy as a gun as I would care to stalk with.

This weighs 8.75 without the scope...but I'm not a pussy...:D

I ordered a Savage model 12 FV, chambered in 22-250. It's the cheaper stock, with accutrigger, and blued barrel. Topping it off with a redfield revenge 4-12x40 scope with accurange. Figured I would get some camo wrap for it. Anyway, I was wanting a 26 inch barrel, to maximize the velocity out of the 22-250, and while I was at it, I got the heavy barrel. I usually only have to walk 100 to 500 yards to my spots, so, was getting the heavy barrel a good or bad decision. I have never had buyers remorse over a gun and am probably just second guessing after analyzing too many damn forums....so, I want your opinions too:grin:

I have the left handed .223 version and love it. Put a sling on it and you'll be fine.

I had a Savage 110FP in 300 Win Mag w/ the heavy barrel. It had a giant Nikon & a bipod. It shot awesome but was too heavy for long hunts over rough terrain. If you are going to use the 22-250 for coyote I think it will be just fine. You're not walking very far. That barrel will make those long shots easier too. Enjoy it...it's a Savage :way:

When I was younger every long gun I owned had a bull barrel.

When I am calling coyotes I walk a good deal of distance from the road. If there is snow and it is deep I am using my snow shoes to get to my calling hot spots.

Today I no longer have even one long gun with a heavy barrel due to my age and the extra weight factor of the varmint type barrel.

I believe that unless you are shooting in a large town of prairie dogs there is little to no advantage to a heavy barrel firearm.

FYI: Casey I am getting old and I am a pussy..... :)

Generally, I agree with Ron, but I also love bull barrels and think its hard to go too far wrong with them. To top it off, I'm young and dumb enough to hike all over our mountains with more weight than I really ever need!

I got to handle a custom gunsmith's .458 Lott out here a couple of years ago. Heavy bull barrel, heavy receiver, heavy stock. With scope, it weighed a tad over 17 pounds. I'd draw the line on hiking all over with that thing!

The Model 12's are tanks. No way I'd be lugging that thing any further than out of the back of the truck on a prairie dog hill. It will be seriously accurate but most of my coyote shots are under 200yd. No doubt it will be a great gun though. I ordered one in for a guy a couple months ago and topped it with the same scope.

When I was younger every long gun I owned had a bull barrel.

When I am calling coyotes I walk a good deal of distance from the road. If there is snow and it is deep I am using my snow shoes to get to my calling hot spots.

Today I no longer have even one long gun with a heavy barrel due to my age and the extra weight factor of the varmint type barrel.

I believe that unless you are shooting in a large town of prairie dogs there is little to no advantage to a heavy barrel firearm.

FYI: Casey I am getting old and I am a pussy..... :)

You aren't a pussy...just old...lol. I don't think the extra couple punds will kill me, and if it does....I can always sell it.

Top Bottom