Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Difficult Winter/Wet Spring/Pheasants

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR:

Hardy Iowa Pheasants Endured Another Difficult Winter, Wet Spring
Posted: June 8, 2010

BOONE - The 2009 Iowa pheasant harvest estimate of 271,126 roosters was the lowest on record and more than 100,000 fewer than 2008. Based on the winter and spring nesting weather in 2010, the upcoming fall harvest should be similar, although the August roadside survey is the best predictor of how the upcoming pheasant season will go.

Results from the August Roadside Survey will be available in early September. Hunters may sign up at http://www.iowadnr.gov/wildlife/app/roadside/ to receive an email when the results are posted.

"Overall, it was a tough year no doubt about it, but there were some bright spots and good hunting available in certain areas of the state. I would expect that we will see something similar for the upcoming year," said Todd Bogenschutz, upland wildlife biologist with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. "There is some good news with the general CRP signup this summer, which is the first since 2006. Hopefully this will reduce the loss of pheasant habitat and start to reverse some of our numbers."

The current nesting outlook is similar to 2009. Iowa pheasants have battled four consecutive winters with more than 30 inches of snow followed by four consecutive springs of cool, wet weather. "That's a weather pattern our pheasant population has never seen before," Bogenschutz said.

Even with the downturn in the pheasant population, hunters from 43 different states came to Iowa to hunt pheasants.

"I expect there will be pockets of good hunting in certain areas with good pheasant habitat," Bogenschutz said. "There are a number of public areas that will not have much hunter traffic and for those who do not have access to private land this is an opportunity to hunt birds with little competition."

picture.php

Pheasants

We have seen a lot of pheasants this spring in my area of Minnesota. Overall the numbers are down in our area, but really, I can't believe a pheasant could have withstood some of the deep snow and storms we had.

In North DAkota some areas had so much snow that quarters and half sections were underwater when it melted, yet I had a farmer report seeing a lot of pheasants this spring and plenty of nests?

Iowa may be the same, there are always pockets of birds in the best cover.

Top Bottom