Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disappointing first camera pull of the year

skyleralan

PMA Member
forum
Well guys, two of the three cameras had issues so little to no pictures. The other camera (central camera of the farm) got a few pictures, but none of the hitlisters on the farm Except for a deer we call "Blackie" or "Hightower". I hope it is not him, you guys be the judge, but he looks to have lost several inches and no longer has his trademark tall, tall brows. Also, missing is the real stud of the farm "Blades". I will post pictures of him from last September as well.

Other than him, I got a picture of a crazy looking young buck who must have had an injury or something to hit right side. Cameras are back out (a couple of them moved), and new mineral was put out as well.

First, here is Hightower or Blackie from this year
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

This year...I hope not!
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/phot...&prod=albums&cp=albums&e=vB_Editor_001&code=#

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/phot...&prod=albums&cp=albums&e=vB_Editor_001&code=#

Here is the top of the hitlist "Blades" I sure hope he shows back up soon, here he is last Sept. as well and then busted up in Jan. He should be a giant this year if he made it last photos where the one of him busted up in Jan. Should be all of 185+ on the low side.

Crazy young buck, again, wasn't real impressed with the pictures. In the field where all of these were taken I put in two new corn plots this year, so it should start getting a lot of action as it gets closer to fall.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Will check again soon this time, a couple weeks.

forum

Last edited:
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
My trailer puter must b brooke me cant c the pictur.

-}}}---------->

Cooter, I wasn't referencing you in Chris' thread, funny though nonetheless. LOL, if you have something better than dial up could you please enlarge my photos they always show up as thumbnails!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I dont know how you are doing it but if you are copying the address you cant do it while it is thumbnail size you have to click on the picture and make it larger. Then copy the address.

picture.php

I was using the add photo and then dragging the image over. If I don't drag it over it shows up as a broken or ripped photo and doesn't copy it into the thread. I never did the address I will try it.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I got it, just took some trouble shooting. After looking at the pictures I don't think that the old buck is Blackie/Hightower, but another mature buck on the farm called "Bases".

Either way, now I am worried because I don't have pictures of my top two bucks!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Hang tight, you got a lot more summer time to catch up with them. Even if that doesn't happen, the end of summer (disbursement), food source changes & rut makes a whole lot of shuffling and appearances happen. We're at the very start of what's to come.

Don't sweat it....it seems that each year the first few weeks I have issues as well.....cams crapping out, memory cards mess up, etc. As far as if it's High Tower in those pics, its hard to say, but I doubt it. Again, after you start getting some better photos we'll know for sure. He is a stud of a buck though, and I saw the date was 9/15 and he still had a decent amount of velvet on.....typically by that time it seems like most of my bucks are completely shed out, but I've seen it range anywhere from August 22nd-September 18th.

I hope you get more photos of Blades. He is a true brute. Massive body and rack. Thanks for sharing, great stuff! Give us an update when you check them again :way:

yeah i for sure wouldnt worry its only july 1....it takes me till end of july to find the big guys generally

Don't sweat it....it seems that each year the first few weeks I have issues as well.....cams crapping out, memory cards mess up, etc. As far as if it's High Tower in those pics, its hard to say, but I doubt it. Again, after you start getting some better photos we'll know for sure. He is a stud of a buck though, and I saw the date was 9/15 and he still had a decent amount of velvet on.....typically by that time it seems like most of my bucks are completely shed out, but I've seen it range anywhere from August 22nd-September 18th.

I hope you get more photos of Blades. He is a true brute. Massive body and rack. Thanks for sharing, great stuff! Give us an update when you check them again :way:

Well, the camera where these were shots taken were right on the edge of where "Blades" lives. Just behind the camera is a thick over grown CRP field that butts up to a really thick timbered section. I have NEVER gotten a day light photo of Blades so he is your typical nocturnal giant.

In regards to Hightower/Blackie, he has been spotted a lot to the north of where this camera is located, but he shows up all over the farm a lot more active or was than Blades. Hightower and I had one meeting last fall on Oct. 29th, at 7:30AM. I wasn't sure I was going to shoot him if he showed up, but it was an exciting encounter.

I am going to move two camera today and see if I can locate them. I got permission to hunt a farm right East of us, so I have been kind of concentrating on it recently.

Last edited:
If you didn't get velvet pics of them last year, then I wouldn't worry about not getting them this year. They seem to stick close to one spot this time of year.

You have way too high of expectations. Stick with it and good luck. I have seen bucks that have a mystical way of avoiding the camera. What's worse it the ones that are naturally good at avoiding me while hunting.

You have way too high of expectations. Stick with it and good luck. I have seen bucks that have a mystical way of avoiding the camera. What's worse it the ones that are naturally good at avoiding me while hunting.

LOL, of course I have high expectations (don't we all want that 200+ buck to show up!). My biggest worry with Blades is he has hit the wall in terms of growth and might be on the downside. He has maybe this year left or next before he should start taking a down turn. My friend has pictures of him from the past two years and we have put him in the 4-5 range now for 2 years.

Hightower/Blackie I think might be 4 and 1/2 or 5 this year.

skyleralan said:
LOL, of course I have high expectations (don't we all want that 200+ buck to show up!). My biggest worry with Blades is he has hit the wall in terms of growth and might be on the downside. He has maybe this year left or next before he should start taking a down turn. My friend has pictures of him from the past two years and we have put him in the 4-5 range now for 2 years.

Hightower/Blackie I think might be 4 and 1/2 or 5 this year.

So, he was either
A. Born in the winter
Or
B. Born in the summer? XD Hah, Deer logic.

Edit: Sorry if you find this "offensive" or "immature", I just think its funny when people do the whole 2 1/2 and or 3. He'd be 3 right now and 3 1/2 this winter/fall.

Last edited:
So, he was either
A. Born in the winter
Or
B. Born in the summer? XD Hah, Deer logic.

Edit: Sorry if you find this "offensive" or "immature", I just think its funny when people do the whole 2 1/2 and or 3. He'd be 3 right now and 3 1/2 this winter/fall.

I haven't seen any of their birth certificates yet...I can't confirm anything, LOL. I know what you are saying Bill Winke had a great show on aging deer and how close and far away they were with some bucks. Once they get over 2-3 it is a total guess in my opinion. Very hard at times to tell a 4 year from a 7 year old, etc.

All right, had to move this camera, it is in between two timber ridges, just to the right or south of this camera is a food plot of oats, and some milo. I checked it only three days ago, but since I was on the farm thought I would go ahead and clear it. Hopefully by getting this camera moved over to the very center of the farm, I get an idea of a few other guys and hopefully track down Hightower/Blackie or Blades (I have never caught Blades on this section of the farm). I had my one chance with Hightower at the bottom of this ridge at a creek crossing stand, so he travels this area, and definitely moves more than Blades on the farm. This section of farm is where the big timber is as well.

Who knows though, there are a few bucks showing up to this camera who seem to just be really starting to grow, but have mature thick bodies.
picture.php

The buck in the background just won't come closer, but he looks like he might be an important one hopefully gets closer next pull.
picture.php

picture.php

Late doe?
picture.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom