Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disappointing Iowa Gun opener

Your problem is your DNR is being run by more Left lean Libs every day. I'm a nonresident that's been hunting Iowa for 40 some years This year out of 28 days of hunting I saw few does. 17 bucks where 1 I'm saying 1 might have reached the 140 mark. Saw 2 bucks that were pushing the 170,,180 range, those were on your private leased land. I have watched whats happening in Iowa in other states. Wisc hunters thought their DNR wasn't doing a good job, they gave it to the state to run. Didn't take long! Ins. companies came in and gave everyone in the state legislative branch's pockets full of money! Peta in disguise as bird watches, conservationists, fought and won taking the true conservationist (hunters) money and turning millions of dollars back into bogus ideas! Wisc has glacier trials they call them running threw cities and towns! Thier a gravel path for your non conservationist that contribute (0) to conservation! But your dollars that should be going back to you for Maintenace, of your public hunting grounds and waterways and the wild game of Iowa, deer, pheasant, fish, etc recieve less and less.
I've hunted public land all my life in Iowa when lucky enough to pull a tag. Seeing 200 class bucks on public in Iowa was a norm for me. I hunted 4 different public areas this year while there. LMAO one of the once well maintained bridges were non drivable! Warden said no money to maintain stuff anymore. The public land itself LMAO,,I can't even explain that! cutting and leaving lay all the Hardwoods for I guess Prairie Chickens, and horseback riders! I had (Outfitters) , on one public ground had a flipping over 40 cameras, ever damn tree had a camera and he''''''''''''''''''''s bitching im walking in front of them! And why is a outfitter even aloud to put clients that he's making 4,,5,,6 thousand dollars a head on, on to public land when he has every farm in the area leased for his profit! You guys gotta get your heads out form where the sun don't shine and do something!
I hunted the Golden Triangle 50 yrs ago,,just like the pics on the cover of field&stream. Big Bucks walking on every farm,,,just like Iowa use to be. Could knock on a door and be invited in for pie and permission to hunt the farm. "Then the Outfitters came" they could care less about you, believe me! They shot it down, year after year like the locals said the bucks were shot down with NO regard for the farms they lease use and move on from! Your television shows! The Drurys started out in Illinois,,they had some good informative video tapes back then that caught the eye of outfitters and they moved on in. Took about 10 yrs for Illinois to get shot down! Where do you think all those outfitters went LOL. "Iowa"! They have everything leased. They've taking control of your public lands,,lol thats a joke but money talks! Your state is allowing new weapons to be used to fill their pockets with money and keep the money coming into them from the Insurance companies and organizations that DON'T WANT YOU ANYMORE! Money talks! Heck the head of your DNR was caught fishing without a license! Oh a computer cliché she says! LMAO Sounds like a democrat voter to me! Everything is a computer cliche for them but, YOU PAY! You bitch about Nonresidents,,lol I'd be bitching about your TV Personalities' that the greed of money has gripped onto. Their advertising even overseas! EHD, CWD, etc,,I saw signs for these viruses 50 years ago in Colorado. The signs were old rusty 20 year old or older back then!! Your state is killing off your deer herd and filling their pockets doing it! They could care less about you! Friend of mine just bought a hunt farm,,says its the future Alan. Fenced deer that the insurance companies approve. Fencing 10 feet high, permits, codes, taxes all going to the state. Their making sure they keep filling their pockets with money! As for you,,,your going to be driving a electric car, no gas stove, you won't have your guns either, they rent one to you when you go to the game farm to hunt for 10 grand!
I've taken 2 deer in Iowa in 40 some years! DON'T tell me its Nonresident hunters! Its you not standing up for your rights against the Liberals that are taking over your state and the GREED OF MONEY! I spent over 4000 dollars on my tag, fuel, eating out, hospitality, just having fun in Iowa this year hunting, and I ate my tag, not because I couldn't fill it! Because I didn't see a deer over 3 years old! Couple on private like I said, with your aerial surveillance signs and patrolled grounds, No hunting or looking at this 30 thousand acres, are least to fill our pockets with money farms by a cooperation that has bought into your state legislation and TV shows! Take Iowa, Kansas, Illinois and make them no hunting and you won't see the Sportsman channel, the Outdoor channel on your cable TV anymore!
I won't hunt Iowa anymore,,not because of the 4000 dollars I spent when I was there,,I use to love that my money spent was going back into conservation and local communities, what I saw this year and what your state has done is a embarrassment and shameful to conservation. I won't give 1cent to help ruin conservation!
Worst season ever !!! Horse shit

Reactions: HWC
Your problem is your DNR is being run by more Left lean Libs every day. I'm a nonresident that's been hunting Iowa for 40 some years This year out of 28 days of hunting I saw few does. 17 bucks where 1 I'm saying 1 might have reached the 140 mark. Saw 2 bucks that were pushing the 170,,180 range, those were on your private leased land. I have watched whats happening in Iowa in other states. Wisc hunters thought their DNR wasn't doing a good job, they gave it to the state to run. Didn't take long! Ins. companies came in and gave everyone in the state legislative branch's pockets full of money! Peta in disguise as bird watches, conservationists, fought and won taking the true conservationist (hunters) money and turning millions of dollars back into bogus ideas! Wisc has glacier trials they call them running threw cities and towns! Thier a gravel path for your non conservationist that contribute (0) to conservation! But your dollars that should be going back to you for Maintenace, of your public hunting grounds and waterways and the wild game of Iowa, deer, pheasant, fish, etc recieve less and less.
I've hunted public land all my life in Iowa when lucky enough to pull a tag. Seeing 200 class bucks on public in Iowa was a norm for me. I hunted 4 different public areas this year while there. LMAO one of the once well maintained bridges were non drivable! Warden said no money to maintain stuff anymore. The public land itself LMAO,,I can't even explain that! cutting and leaving lay all the Hardwoods for I guess Prairie Chickens, and horseback riders! I had (Outfitters) , on one public ground had a flipping over 40 cameras, ever damn tree had a camera and he''''''''''''''''''''s bitching im walking in front of them! And why is a outfitter even aloud to put clients that he's making 4,,5,,6 thousand dollars a head on, on to public land when he has every farm in the area leased for his profit! You guys gotta get your heads out form where the sun don't shine and do something!
I hunted the Golden Triangle 50 yrs ago,,just like the pics on the cover of field&stream. Big Bucks walking on every farm,,,just like Iowa use to be. Could knock on a door and be invited in for pie and permission to hunt the farm. "Then the Outfitters came" they could care less about you, believe me! They shot it down, year after year like the locals said the bucks were shot down with NO regard for the farms they lease use and move on from! Your television shows! The Drurys started out in Illinois,,they had some good informative video tapes back then that caught the eye of outfitters and they moved on in. Took about 10 yrs for Illinois to get shot down! Where do you think all those outfitters went LOL. "Iowa"! They have everything leased. They've taking control of your public lands,,lol thats a joke but money talks! Your state is allowing new weapons to be used to fill their pockets with money and keep the money coming into them from the Insurance companies and organizations that DON'T WANT YOU ANYMORE! Money talks! Heck the head of your DNR was caught fishing without a license! Oh a computer cliché she says! LMAO Sounds like a democrat voter to me! Everything is a computer cliche for them but, YOU PAY! You bitch about Nonresidents,,lol I'd be bitching about your TV Personalities' that the greed of money has gripped onto. Their advertising even overseas! EHD, CWD, etc,,I saw signs for these viruses 50 years ago in Colorado. The signs were old rusty 20 year old or older back then!! Your state is killing off your deer herd and filling their pockets doing it! They could care less about you! Friend of mine just bought a hunt farm,,says its the future Alan. Fenced deer that the insurance companies approve. Fencing 10 feet high, permits, codes, taxes all going to the state. Their making sure they keep filling their pockets with money! As for you,,,your going to be driving a electric car, no gas stove, you won't have your guns either, they rent one to you when you go to the game farm to hunt for 10 grand!
I've taken 2 deer in Iowa in 40 some years! DON'T tell me its Nonresident hunters! Its you not standing up for your rights against the Liberals that are taking over your state and the GREED OF MONEY! I spent over 4000 dollars on my tag, fuel, eating out, hospitality, just having fun in Iowa this year hunting, and I ate my tag, not because I couldn't fill it! Because I didn't see a deer over 3 years old! Couple on private like I said, with your aerial surveillance signs and patrolled grounds, No hunting or looking at this 30 thousand acres, are least to fill our pockets with money farms by a cooperation that has bought into your state legislation and TV shows! Take Iowa, Kansas, Illinois and make them no hunting and you won't see the Sportsman channel, the Outdoor channel on your cable TV anymore!
I won't hunt Iowa anymore,,not because of the 4000 dollars I spent when I was there,,I use to love that my money spent was going back into conservation and local communities, what I saw this year and what your state has done is a embarrassment and shameful to conservation. I won't give 1cent to help ruin conservation!
200" deer on public land was the norm?

There are many reasons why things are a bit worse but there are two primary. One is doe over harvest, stop shooting does and end shed buck rifle season. Second, is the Iowa resident video stars increasing Iowas popularity which has increased outfitting and increased rec land prices breaking larger tracts into smaller tracts. The latter bullet can’t be recalled, it sucks. The former can change next year.

It doesn’t affect the video stars and the lucky few who own 600 plus acres and control their herd, but for John, Jim, and harry who all bought an 80 from the broken up 360 it’s gonna be tougher. As I said above we can’t fix that now.

Last edited:
Couldn't read this entire rant. You lost me completely when you suggested anything in Iowa is being led by a left leaning liberal. The problem is the insurance lobby and farm bureau are awful. They put profits above everything else and deer are a financial loser for them.

Couldn't read this entire rant. You lost me completely when you suggested anything in Iowa is being led by a left leaning liberal. The problem is the insurance lobby and farm bureau are awful. They put profits above everything else and deer are a financial loser for them.
I’m trying to make a positive out of a bad hunting year my neighbor kept track EHD has hit in my area northern Monroe county it hit 3 times in 11 years don’t give much time for deer to get old positive is the deer that get EHD

I’m trying to make a positive out of a bad hunting year my neighbor kept track EHD has hit in my area northern Monroe county it hit 3 times in 11 years don’t give much time for deer to get old positive is the deer that get EHD
Sorry accidentally hit button the positive is the deer that survive the EHD will carry that Gene

What are you talking about? The director of the IA DNR is appointed by the Governor and she is a Republican. The IA house and senate are Republican majority also.

That had to be some pretty good public land because seeing 200" deer on private land is not a norm, even in Iowa.
Remember- a lot of people don’t know what a 200” actually is. Nor do a lot of people know how to score. I watched the local conservation guy tape out a guys deer- gave its tine measurements all the way to the bottom of the beams, brows went to the bases, and 5 mass measurements on each side

Remember- a lot of people don’t know what a 200” actually is. Nor do a lot of people know how to score. I watched the local conservation guy tape out a guys deer- gave its tine measurements all the way to the bottom of the beams, brows went to the bases, and 5 mass measurements on each side
Yikes, I always wondered why my deer scored less but looked bigger! :)

What are you talking about? The director of the IA DNR is appointed by the Governor and she is a Republican. The IA house and senate are Republican majority also.
My neighbor says he's a Republican too! He asked me the other day why I wear a Trump hat,,said why's that,,he says if he gets reelected he'll cancel the government programs like he did when he was in office! The guy hasn't worked for 2 yrs from what I know,,he's on some government plan that pays you to sit home and not work if you have a child. Lmao,,problem is his parents took the child to raise themselves sense he drinks his case a beer daily on everyone else's hard work a year ago! He's not a republican,,he's a fake! Libs, PETA and the rest are real good at lying their way to the top off the working mans back! Goodluck Hunting,,,,,,

Exactly! Along with your outfitters, and TV celebs,,,how many farms you hunted growing up by knocking on a door asking permission or offering your work to hunt can you still hunt? I'm not talking taking 2000 dollars out of your pocket to gain permission. either.

That had to be some pretty good public land because seeing 200" deer on private land is not a norm, even in Iowa.
Im not saying 200" I guess I'm trying to give and example! I could say a 5, 6, etc, year old deer,,OH excuse me 6 1/2 for the TV show Experts! Don't even wanna say I've seen doe's breed in late sept, early Oct, What do you call those? 6 1/4,,6 3/4 when their fawned, I don't know or care or if they can even conceive that early. I'm saying when I can look at a deer 200, 250 yds off and can "plainly see his mains are well past his nose and when he finally locks and stares and you can plainly see you could throw another set of ears on him HE'S BIG! I'm 66 years old and when I can count tines I know for a fact with my eyes he ain't 150, 160, 170 I'll say180 and up all day long! I'll just say 200 with a hope and prayer walking up to him if I ever had the chance to get him on the ground. I've held 200"s in my hands,,not mine. I haven't outsmarted a 200" yet in my lifetime but from what I held and have seen at shows etc, you can almost always throw another set of ears on them and their well past their nose. The public my son and I finally decided to hunt this past season in your state to my surprise I sat 17 days before I saw my first 2 bird hunters,,oh sorry, there was 1 squirrel hunter, lol. I'll say poacher,,why you going to drive 4 hrs from Des Moines to hunt squirrel. lol. Send me your email,,I'll send you a pic from I think it was Nov 1,,30 yd shot for my son. He couldn't pull his bow back,,lmao When you can add up 4,,5,,tines in your head and your over 50 inches and your still looking at 1 beam and theres more tines to add up on it yet!! Like I said when he showed me the footage off is cam,,without hesitation,out of my mouth came 200 incher all day long! I know,,I know theres guys that are going to scream oh he's only 199,,ohh you don't know how to score oh, he's only this or that,,If you ain't growing deer all day long on your 10,000 acre farm feeding them daily your super potions and watching them on your 300 trail cams you got out you don't know jack! Lol You let me know what you think,,my sons back down at the Southern border chasing the Biden voters sneaking into the Country,,,there ain't much that jars the kid,,,,this buck did,,on some of your public this year. I can almost guarantee I know where this buck came from,,you can have 3,4,5 etc thousand acres,,but you can't keep them on there! And this was new ground for us,,like I said in my 1st post we got blown out of our 4 other public grounds. When we found this, we looked at each other and said we should just put the bows away and buy bird licenses lol. Never know,,maybe I shouldn't bitch about the public being over run by outfitters,,but their making money off it and so is the state..its your tax dollars and conservation dollars that bought it. Try setting up a Hotdog stand on it during hunting season,,lol see how long they let you get away with that. Money talks and you guys are losing your hunting privileges slowly but surely. It's sad Iowa, your state was once one of the best if not the best! I just didn't hunt it, I came all most ever year with beer and cheese, just to sit with your farmers in what I always thought was, god's Country ,farm fields as far as you could see. Good Hunting you guys.

The republicans are beholden to the Farm Bureau, who want all deer killed. Look at all the current republicans have done or tried to do to screw outdoorsmen. They’ve even gone as far as trying to make it illegal to purchase more public ground.

I’m not a fan of the democrats, but at the state level, the Iowa democrats have been pretty decent to the outdoors community.

The republicans are beholden to the Farm Bureau, who want all deer killed. Look at all the current republicans have done or tried to do to screw outdoorsmen. They’ve even gone as far as trying to make it illegal to purchase more public ground.

I’m not a fan of the democrats, but at the state level, the Iowa democrats have been pretty decent to the outdoors community.

[/QUOTE. Don’t be fooled a politician is a politician Democrats are decent until fully in charge than your screwed look outside the box a little look at the big picture.

My neighbor says he's a Republican too! He asked me the other day why I wear a Trump hat,,said why's that,,he says if he gets reelected he'll cancel the government programs like he did when he was in office! The guy hasn't worked for 2 yrs from what I know,,he's on some government plan that pays you to sit home and not work if you have a child. Lmao,,problem is his parents took the child to raise themselves sense he drinks his case a beer daily on everyone else's hard work a year ago! He's not a republican,,he's a fake! Libs, PETA and the rest are real good at lying their way to the top off the working mans back! Goodluck Hunting,,,,,,
Oh, I think I see what you're getting at. The republican governor and republican majorities in the house and senate are really democrats masquerading as republicans. Yeah, just like the Jan 6 rioters were democrats! Frigging democrats!

Big problem I see that is mind boggling is that the DNR, who are experts in wildlife, who undergo studies to know what herd numbers are, are the ones out talking to people, etc, have to take orders from politicians. These same politicians have lobbyists in their pockets (Farm Bureau, weapon's manufacturers, etc), so their decisions are going to be based on $ and votes. The DNR most likely knows that the doe tag quotas should be lowered, but the politicians won't allow that.
This is (in my opinion) one of the leading reasons we aren't seeing doe tag numbers go down. And when that happens, there are always guys willing to buy them and use them. I really would love to see politics out of the DNR. Let them make some decisions on what is best for the herds throughout the state. This is just one of the problems, but it's one that drives me crazy daily.

I

Not at all in Minnesota. The Democrats pushed and passed crossbows, gave away a state park to the Native Americans, and are looking into giving Upper Red Lake to the band .

Not to mention they want to take away our guns and want cattle eliminated due to climate change!

Let’s get real here they are the enemy of Sportsman !!

I

Not at all in Minnesota. The Democrats pushed and passed crossbows, gave away a state park to the Native Americans, and are looking into giving Upper Red Lake to the band .

Not to mention they want to take away our guns and want cattle eliminated due to climate change!

Let’s get real here they are the enemy of Sportsman !!
Senator grassley (Iowa Republican senator for about fifty years for you out of staters) is a co-sponsor of this bill that would give 1500 acres in Woodbury and Monona counties to the Winnebago tribe. Sounds like it's a done deal. The house committee of natural resources (led by a Republican and with a Republican majority) recommended the transfer.

Top Bottom