Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Disheartening

Bucksnbears

I have not watched (network) hunting shows for many years.
But the past few months I've finally figgered out "youtube". Yep, I'm tech challenged.
Probably don't matter much to you all but I'm almost bored watching deer get killed while shooting out of a window.

I don't have anything against it but it would be kinda refreshing seeing someone in a portable with snow coming down.

If I wanna see a kid shoot a "big buck", just prefer it to be while sitting in a treestand.
Ever notice how almost mundane people act while shooting out of an elevated blind?
Seems like they burned up all their adrenalin just fingerings how to open 5he dammed window.

Memory lane kicking in.

I have not watched (network) hunting shows for many years.
But the past few months I've finally figgered out "youtube". Yep, I'm tech challenged.
Probably don't matter much to you all but I'm almost bored watching deer get killed while shooting out of a window.

I don't have anything against it but it would be kinda refreshing seeing someone in a portable with snow coming down.

If I wanna see a kid shoot a "big buck", just prefer it to be while sitting in a treestand.
Ever notice how almost mundane people act while shooting out of an elevated blind?
Seems like they burned up all their adrenalin just fingerings how to open 5he dammed window.

Memory lane kicking in.
I personally don’t even like bow hunting out of a blind myself. Can’t hear and see like a stand. Not my thing. I will do it on occasion but not my preference. I would suspect Many bowhunters who have spent years out of stands may feel same way. If bowhunters mainly use tree stands or mainly prefer tree stands- makes sense that’s what they would prefer to watch.
I think the blinds are 2 things: 1) easier to get camera man into- all the gear & 2 dudes- just easy & comfy & 2) as folks get a bit lazier & want the creature comforts- blinds are growing with the aging hunters or any hunter wanting a bit more of easy comfy button. Nothing against them what-so-ever & care less what people use but that’s my guess as to the main motivations of blind hunting.

I've been hunting out of a blind for the last ten years, I only gun hunt. After we lost the hunting areas we had for years, I decided to just hunt my dad's place. No trees, just a travel corridor the deer used. I could either set next to a fence post all day, or sit in a dry, warm blind, not a hard decision! Nothing to do with being lazy, just smarter. Where my blind is now, ya I could find a tree and put a stand up and sit out in the cold all day, the hunt is just as satisfying at the end of a hunt to me sitting in my blind versus sitting in a tree stand. Oh ya, my windows open pretty easy, no wasted adrenalin lost.

I agree for entertainment value in regards to watching a video someone made. To me watching someone in an elevated or even groundblind is not fun to watch. Thats not to say I would not hunt out of a blind. I have bowhunted out of a groundblind many times. I wouldnt mind hunting out of an elevated blind, dont have one though. But for entertainment watching a video, i nearly dont even watch the boxblind videos.

My dad and I stopped hunting out of trees. Just saw too many accidents and had a few close calls ourselves. Now my kids are just starting to enter hunting ages. My rule is no treestands, feet on the ground. That leaves plenty of other options. We can hunt in homemade box blinds, lowkey rag blinds or tents, redneck type blinds, in a ghillie suit, or just sitting on the ground at the right tree. My 10 yr old shot his 1st deer this past fall. He and I were sitting together in a tent and he couldn't have been any happier any other way.

Last edited:
So I gave bucksnbears and Iowavf both a thumbs up.
I have plenty of blinds that I have heaters in and totally enjoy the warmth.
I will still go out and narrow down a ground spot when the need arises and totally enjoy those moments also, they r some of my most memorable times.

Pretty much all the pros and cons being touched on so far. Like Skip, I hate hunting out of box blinds while bowhunting. Maybe I’ve just not gotten used to them but I love being in my stand 30-45 minutes before light and being able to hear everything in the woods especially in the rut and when I’m in a box blind I feel like I’m deaf. Gun hunting I don’t mind them as much but still prefer to be in a stand. I also don’t like having to mess with opening windows in that moment of everything coming together.

Someone pointed out safety though and it’s a valid, legit point. Between my 4 kids and my dad who shouldn’t be climbing portables anymore it’s something to consider for sure. We have pretty much completely switched out all portables to the millennium ladder stands. For us it’s been the perfect solution to the safety side while still not being holed up in an enclosure. I can and have literally sat all day in them and not been sore that night or next morning. I could never do that anymore in most portable hang ons like I used to in my 20’s. They’re extremely comfortable. The guardrail/shooting rail gives you a good feeling of security and climbing in and out of a ladder is just easier/safer than screw in steps, climbing sticks, etc…at least in our opinion.

we do have a couple of box blinds and when the weather gets nasty they are nice to have as an option and some of my best memories so far are when my wife and kids can all pack in to one with some candy, some popcorn, you name it and have fun hunting together. Can’t do that out of treestands

Should clarify (somewhat).
I have no problem with those hunting out of a blind but WATCHING it bores the crap out of me.
Think about the future of our bowhunting heritage.
You start out taking a kid out at a young age and put them in a blind, how many are gonna learn to truly enjoy what I consider "the hunt".
Can't hear an owl hooting in the pre dawn.
Won't have a chickadee land on your shoulder.
Won't hear a twig cracking/leaves rustling ect. Yanno, a very important part of falling in love with HUNTING, not just shooting.
Do we ever see a show with someone sitting in thick cover in a blind?, I haven't.
Always over a foodplot or at least a fiend edge.
I grew up hunting hunting purty much wherever I wanted to hunt and did it out of trees with limbs, portable stands. Could jump around most anywhere I wanted.
You (we) introduce a newbie or kid to hunting out of a blind and quess what, that's all they will know.
Gonna be hard for them to learn how to "hunt" as we all know, very few kids have ambition to strike out and do any work and figger it out.
Also, once a blind is set up on a property, that purdy much locks it up for anyone else to hunt.
As for "safety " come one guys..., you gotta be shittn me?

I see kids riding a bike wearing a helmet and it pisses me off!

OK, I'm starting on a rant here, sorry but if I wanna watch someone kill a deer, idrather (much) watch em do it out of a tree or on the ground instead of out of a window.

I can’t do the blind thing either. I do have them. My dad is up there and it’s safer for him. I did change out to all ladder stands and prefer the open air to take it all in.

My favorite enclosed blind has a big sliding window, a very comfy chair, 65"inch television, 250 mps fiber optic internet service, 80,000 BTU furnace, and even has running water. I've seen thousands of deer I could have shot.

However, I have never and will never shoot a deer from inside my house. Open tree stands and ground blinds for me.

My favorite enclosed blind has a big sliding window, a very comfy chair, 65"inch television, 250 mps fiber optic internet service, 80,000 BTU furnace, and even has running water. I've seen thousands of deer I could have shot.

However, I have never and will never shoot a deer from inside my house. Open tree stands and ground blinds for me.
I passed on my only target buck 2 years ago right out my back window of my cabin.
He followed a doe fawn.
I had my bow/open window but just "couldn't do it".

Attachments

• 20211206_155025.jpg
    20211206_155025.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 49
Here's what's disheartening for me. Cameras, cell cams, e bikes, drones , naming deer, hit lists . Deer going from a by product of farming, to being farmed, wild or in pens. Little kids killing giant bucks because of daddy. Hundreds of deer shows where the hunter messes with his camera, while sacraficing getting a clean shot. Laziness, and lack of woodsmanship. .....Getting a non res tag in Iowa....$300 worth of points and $600 license. The sport of hunting has changed quite a bit in 30 years. That's disheartening.

Here's what's disheartening for me. Cameras, cell cams, e bikes, drones , naming deer, hit lists . Deer going from a by product of farming, to being farmed, wild or in pens. Little kids killing giant bucks because of daddy. Hundreds of deer shows where the hunter messes with his camera, while sacraficing getting a clean shot. Laziness, and lack of woodsmanship. .....Getting a non res tag in Iowa....$300 worth of points and $600 license. The sport of hunting has changed quite a bit in 30 years. That's disheartening.
Perfect! Absolutely perfect! Very well put.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. I don't even really like sitting in a dang tree stand. I'd much rather be in pursuit, but that's not very productive outside of mid rut.

Top Bottom