Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DNR Listening sessions 2022

Rjack

Just making the information available. I've copied the email info I receive below as well just in case the link doesn't work.​

Link to news release

DNR finalizes public meeting locations to recap hunting, trapping seasons, discuss possible rule changes​

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hosting a series of town hall-style meetings where local staff will provide updates on recently completed hunting and trapping seasons, discuss possible changes to hunting and trapping rules and regulations, and address other topics as requested.

“We want people to come out to these meetings, listen to the seasons reviews, ask questions and hear directly from our staff,” said Todd Bishop, chief of the Iowa DNR’s Wildlife Bureau. “Part of the meeting will be devoted to discussing potential rule changes and collecting feedback as we work through the rules process.”

The meetings are open to the public. Comments collected from these public meetings will be considered along with other related comments received by the Iowa DNR prior to proposing changes to hunting rules and regulations. Proposed rules will be presented to the Natural Resource Commission during a regular public meeting for consideration and additional public comment.

Meeting date, time and location

Creston, Feb. 21, 6 p.m., Multi-Purpose Room, Southern Prairie YMCA, 1201 West Townline Street

Algona, Feb. 22, 6 p.m., Waters Edge Nature Center, 1010 250th Street

Des Moines, Feb. 22, 6:45 p.m., Des Moines Izaak Walton League, 4343 George Flagg Parkway

Dubuque, Feb. 22, 7 p.m., EB Lyons Nature Center at Mines of Spain, 8991 Bellevue Heights Road

Jefferson, Feb. 22, 6:30 p.m., The Depot, Raccoon River Valley Trailhead, 507 E Lincoln Way

Okoboji, Feb. 22, 6 p.m., Maser Monarch Lodge, 22785 Nature Center Road

Sac City, Feb 22, 6:30 p.m., Sac County Conservation Center, Hagge Park, 2970

280th Street

Ventura, Feb. 22, 7 p.m., Iowa DNR Wildlife Office, 15326 Balsam Avenue

Waverly, Feb. 22, 6 p.m., Waverly Public Library, 1500 W Bremer Avenue

Burlington, Feb. 23, 5 p.m., Starr's Cave Nature Center, 11627 Starr's Cave Road

Calmar, Feb. 23, 7 p.m., Northeast Iowa Dairy & Agriculture Foundation (Dairy Center), Room 115, 1527 Hwy. 150 South

Iowa City, Feb. 23, 6:30 p.m., Johnson County ISU Extension Office, 3109 Old Hwy. 218 South

Onawa, Feb. 23, 6 p.m., Lewis and Clark State Park visitor center banquet room, 21914 Park Loop

Bloomfield, Feb. 24, 6 p.m., Wapello County Conservation Board Pioneer Ridge Nature Center, 1339 Hwy. 63

Chariton, Feb. 24, 7 p.m., Pin Oak Lodge, 45996 State Hwy. 14

Council Bluffs, Feb. 24, 6:30 p.m., Council Bluffs Fish & Game Club, 531 Comanche St. DeWitt, Feb. 24, 7 p.m., DeWitt Community Library, 917 Fifth Avenue

Toledo, Feb. 24, 6:30 p.m., Tama County Nature Center, 2283 Park Road

I went to the Deer Advisory Committee meeting in DSM this week. This is the committee that was set up by the Governor years ago with all the stake holders to try to guide policy on deer populations. It is this committee that set the goal in 2008 to try to get the herd back down to 1995 levels and keep them there. The report tells the stakeholders how that is going.

I'm putting this here because these numbers are usually discussed at the listening meetings, and I think some of the numbers are available somewhere in/on the DNR web site now.

Without getting into specific numbers, (only because I can't remember them) the deer harvest was down 1% this year and tag sales dropped as well. The big thing about this meeting, this is the first time they discuss next deer season's population goals. In other words, the DNR put out the proposed antlerless quotas for each county. Again, this may be discussed at the listening posts and better numbers will be available, but as I recall the southern counties on the Missouri river will have decreased quotas due to the impacts of EHD and hunter success, there are a couple more that will have reduced quotas because the population is at or below the target level. There are a few, maybe 4 or 6 where quotas will go up and two of those counties are new CWD areas. I believe the majority of counties will be staying as is for antlerless quotas.

I did get the feeling that the DNR would rather issue depredation permits to target high population areas than just increase antlerless quotas for the entire county. They had slides on success rates for depredation and shooting tags but unfortunately I'll need to wait until the slides are published. I made the mistake of sitting in the back of the room and the font on the slides was pretty small. The numbers were discussed but again, the seat in the back of the room was my nemesis.

I would encourage your participation in these meetings. The format has changed some in the past couple of years, but it remains a way for the DNR to hear from us and us from them. It is part of the process of rulemaking.

My only comment on the depredation issue is I do wish those targeted tags were reduced in price. I think that is a good FOCUSED program that can deal with issues on a much more narrow basis as opposed to the county level. It's not unheard of to need to take out 40+ doe on a farm. That can get pretty expensive.

Last edited:
My only comment on the depredation issue is I do wish those targeted tags were reduced in price.................. It's not unheard of to need to take out 40+ doe on a farm. That can get pretty expensive.

This is very true, the only solution to that is expand the circle of trust and let those in that circle pay for the tag and shoot the does. Too bad the landowner(s) let it get to the stage where they needed to take out 40 does.

This is very true, the only solution to that is expand the circle of trust and let those in that circle pay for the tag and shoot the does. Too bad the landowner(s) let it get to the stage where they needed to take out 40 does.
That is often the case, but not always. I give you an example. One of my farms got hammered by EHD in 2019. Deer numbers way down. Farm is in a unique location such that I recruit ALOT of deer. This late season I was seeing nearly 100 deer on a fenced 2 acre bean plot. WAAAAYYYY too many deer. I did have several folks out to shoot does and fill freezers. It wasn't nearly enough.....could have easily took out 50 does. This will be a never ending battle, year in and year out. Unique situation for sure but it's an issue.

Yeah, unfortunately people (legislators) see the large groups of deer this time of year and don't realize they have been drawn to that area from long distances. It skews opinions and perceptions.

Top Bottom