Doe Kills

Re: Doe Kills(RESULTS)

In some areas the doe to buck ratio is getting where it needs to be. In the area I mostly hunt the doe numbers are going down quite a bit but we still took three does this year and accidently one shed buck. And we didn't take any antlered deer this year. There are a lot of areas that need work but not all members hunt in those areas.

Andy,
Not sure what conclusions you can draw from this information. Are you looking for total doe to buck numbers or hunters and their harvest ratio? Did you take into account the doe harvest in the Harvest forum?
One thing, I think that people are more apt to post a successful buck harvest v a doe harvest, might change the numbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It starts here guys... If we all actually put forth the effort to thin some does, maybe we wouldn't be fighting the fights we are!!! ( i know we still would but at least DNR would have a leg to stand on!)
</div></div>

No persecution from me. I agree with you. Few people understand the commitment it takes to understand the deer herd in their area and actually allot time to harvest the proper number of does. Yes, it may cut into buck hunting, but that's why the DNR created extra late seasons. This is also exactly why doubling the NR tags will be a mistake. Folks that own/lease land from outside of Iowa have even less time to commit to this management of deer (and most don't let others hunt their property)

Double A, not sure that you can use the data as asked, I know a lot of guys that would love to kill more does, but their counties don't allow it as the deer herd is under control.

Also, I think that I did my part harvesting 7 does but would also say that if there were more tags for my county I would have purchased more late in the year and kept on poppin them. Finally, if decreasing the herd is the ultimate goal decrease the cost of the tags and I think you will have a ton of guys willing to purchase and harvest more does.

Andy,
It might have been easier to visit the DNR Harvest numbers page. Though even with that, there are endless ways to interpret the numbers.

I would venture that some dedicated hunters are harvesting many more deer than the average guy.

I agree with all of the above statements. I just wanted to get an idea from IW members!! I truly believe some people are doing there part and more, and I too would have gladly whacked more does, and would love to buy more tags when they are affordable for me. I understand this is a very BROAD data and is not really close to exact. I know there are counties that have more, and some that have less. I know that many go the extra mile, but they aren't where the problem lies. No matter how the pie is sliced, there are going to be more pieces on the other side!

We would love to see the price of doe tags reduced. we would love to have our doe tags good for any season, but in the meantime, while giving those suggestions to the powers to be, we have to try our darnest to help by harvesting does!

The data above is a half-assed, limited time, limited resources, attempt to gather data, but the fact still remains, that for every one who has spoken up about harvesting does, three haven't!
Guys, this isn't just here, I did the same stuff at my shop! And that was even more frustrating! I had a lot of people who ate any sex tags or never purchased doe tags. Many in counties with "over population"! They saw tons of does and choose not to shoot for various reasons(which they have the right to). And I had guys who were just the opposite and killed a lot of does. But one side still greatly out weighed the other!!!

Here is kind of what this all comes down too, for every person out there who goes the extra mile, 3 don't. Some great hunters, Some "half assed" hunters, either way 3 to 1 equals bad odds.

Again, this isn't to single anyone out, it was simply to see how many people are whacking lots of does. I am not calling those people good, other people bad, I am just trying to see the problem! I email my reps, I make calls all the time, and every once in a while I question "why am I doing this!!??!!" and I believe others ask themselves the same thing!

Do this for yourself, grade yourself on the level of importance hunting plays in your life! Then stop and ask yourself if you believe your doing everything to can to protect that.
Here is a way to grade it,
would you give up two years of Buck hunting to just shoot does(in problem areas or anywhere else for that matter)?

Would you pass on does three nights in a row, because you know a buck frequents a certain area?

Would you do whatever it took to protect you Iowa hunting land?

Do you continue to hunt does after you fill your buck tag?

If knew shooting one more doe a year could prevent Double Non Res Tags would you go the extra mile? How about 2?

That is what I am getting at guys! Thanks for responding! I know I am rambling! One of those days! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I really wish doe tags were cheaper. I am as guilty as the next guy. I only harvested two does this year. But let me explain my excuses.

I did quite a bit of early hunting in black hawk county in October. When I hunted the parks I shot my doe but outside of the city hunt there are no doe tags available. I would think that with as many people as there are around they would want the doe herd thinned atleast a little. So in this case I was unable to shoot does due to no tags available.

Than comes Chickasaw. I think the county is pretty well in check, just due to what I have been seeing. I have been seeing only 2 to MAYBE 3 does per buck. Which has changed a TON since I started 11 years ago. I took a few people out to fill doe tags that were smart enough to buy them early for late muzzleloader, but come december all the doe tags were gone. I think if They would of held some tags back untill shotgun season there would of been tags for the gunners to buy and fill. I ended up putting my any sex on a doe.

But in another county I hunt there are tons of doe tags. They all sold out. But I passed up more does than I can count in NOV because I couldnt afford to buy some. I realize to most 11 dollars is nothing. But 11 dollars to me was a trip to go hunting. For ever doe tag I bought I gave up a day in the woods.

Which brings up my own selfishness. I had such a desire to chase the buck I was after I was not willing to give up these days to hunt does.

I tried to do what I could do. But if you throw some woulda/shoulda/couldas in there think of how much more we all could of done if doe tags were $5 or maybe EVEN $! We could be insurance companies best friends!!

Gundog,

I don't think the tags will ever get cheaper. That might be part of the reason wht they want more non residents to come in and help with the $ so our prices can stay somewhat tolerable.
Kind of a double edged sword because the NR won't help with the does.

Next year don't go to the hill as much. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

The hill is simply a business expense. Talk about a double edged sword.

Back