Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Doe ray me.....Going out to look one last time

Deerguy45

Got up late this morning almost aborted my hunting trip due to alarm going off a little late. Went anyways since I will not be able to hunt after work anymore. I went out late so while walking to stand I took my time trying to sneak in and notice a doe eating along a logging road I was on. So I ducked behind a tree and arrowed up. I seen her working my direction so I hit the grunt call and she stepped almost out into the logging road as she began to step out I drew back and she stopped. While at full draw I waited hoping she would give a good shot she stepped out gave me a good shot at 30yds and I shot heard the arrow hit and away she went. I went straight to my stand and sat for the next two hours hoping she was down. Went to find her and my arrow was completely red with blood. So I thought for sure she was down....Nope looked for 2 hrs still havent found her going to take one more look right now to make sure I didn't miss her the first time. When tracking her I found good blood trail then it stopped and now I can't find her anywhere....Hope to find her she is my meat for deer sticks and jerky. Dam...Any thoughts. Wish I could use my dog. But that's against the law.. I know My dog would find her if shes is buried in the thicket ..

Last edited:
Got up late this morning almost aborted my hunting trip due to alarm going off a little late. Went anyways since I will not be able to hunt after work anymore. I went out stated late so while walking to stand I took my time trying to sneak in and notice a doe eating along a logging road I was on. So I ducked behind a tree and arrowed up. I seen her working my direction so I hit the grunt call and she stepped almost out into the logging road as she began to step out I drew back and she stopped. While at full draw I waited hoping she would give a good shot she stepped out gave me a good shot at 30yds and I shot heard the arrow hit and away she went. I went straight to my stand and sat for the next two hours hoping she was down. Went to find here and my arrow was completely red with blood. So I thought for sure she was down....Nope looked for 2 hrs still havent found her going to take one more look right now to make sure I didn't miss her the first time. When tracking her I found good blood trail then it stopped and now I can't find her anywhere....Hope to find her she is my meat for deer sticks and jerky. Dam...Any thoughts. Wish I could use my dog. But that's against the law.. I know My dog would find her if shes is buried in the thicket ..

My dog likes long walks in the woods. I don't know about yours.... ;) ;)

Look 90 degrees from the direction of your last blood. If had good blood and good hit she just probably did something crazy before dying. She's there. I wouldn't use a dog to blood trail but having him with for good companionship may be what you need.

there is nothing illegal about walking your dog in the woods. ive done it several times. he has even stumbled on dead deer.

I lose....

I returned to the spot I last found blood and spent a good 30mins looking. I know she is there. The area has an empty gully with thick briar bushes and sticker with small new growth trees all around it. I kicked up two woodcock if that gives you an idea of how thick it is. The deer ran on to property that is not mine so I didn't want to spend to much time rambling around on someone else's land. I'm bummed about not being able to find her. I guess the coyotes got a free meal. Not the way I wanted it to end but I guess that's why they call it hunting. I feel like I did everything I could to find her. I would take the same shot again. My practice has been 40 arrows a night on nights I didn't hunt of and on throughout the year. So no regrets. Hope she passed peacefully. Thanks for the help fellas. I'll keep trying. I'm due for a buck ...

Top Bottom