Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dollar amount on food plots

streitl

I was wondering how much money some of you guys usually spend on food plots each year and what it is you plant. How many acres of plots do you have? I was thinking of planting some, but they will be pretty small I'm thinking. (Less than 1/2 acre)

Well if you promise not to tell my wife...
grin.gif

For real, I have average to below average food plots going now and I have about 12 total acres in plots. (6 acres in winter wheat which will be switched to soybeans this year. 2 acres in bare land that will be seeded to clover another 4 acres in established clover, but needing lime and supplemental seeding.) I keep improving and expanding the plots a little more each year too. I let a local farmer use my grain bins and he disks for me and plants winter wheat and turnips for me in exchange. My cash outlay = 0 for those approximate 6 total acres. Ooops, I did spend a little on fertilizer for those acres.

Meanwhile I have clover and oats in some other areas and I would estimate that I spent around $120 on seed and that again on fertilizer. (I need lime and more fertilizer and because the clover was grazed so heavily I will overseed it this year, so I will end up spending another couple hundred on up for that.)

It is kind of hard to say for sure, but I am probably spending about, or would be if I wasn't receiving some of the stuff on trade, around $800-$1000 annually.

[ QUOTE ]
Well if you promise not to tell my wife..

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that pretty much goes for most of us
blush.gif
grin.gif

pretty hard not to spend at least a hundred bucks an acre for most plots when you add everything up.

A 1/2 acre, depending on what you plant wouldn't have to cost all that much.

Things like rye for instance are dirt cheap and don't need a lot of lime and fertilizer.

Brassicas aren't to bad

Clover can get a little more expensive...but still a 1/2 acre isn't going to break the bank
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom