Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Don't like the term "Orange Army"

hawkjosh22

I don't like the fact that all shotgun hunters get lumped into this category. Not all of us are tresspassing, unethical hunters. :mad:

We all call it that? Our family and group don't mean it in a bad way, we all either own the land or farm it and have permission and hunt ethicaly. I just don't understand quite what you mean.

I'm not referring to the "orange army" as poachers and trespassers. I'm referring to the sheer number of gun-toting individuals out chasing the elusive white-tailed deer. The number of people out to me is relative to the size of a small army, which is why I call it that. I will be one of them out this weekend, sitting in my treestand hoping one of the big boys makes a crucial mistake. The trespassers and law breakers are defined as "poachers" or "scumbags" in my book.

I'm not referring to the "orange army" as poachers and trespassers. I'm referring to the sheer number of gun-toting individuals out chasing the elusive white-tailed deer. The number of people out to me is relative to the size of a small army, which is why I call it that. I will be one of them out this weekend, sitting in my treestand hoping one of the big boys makes a crucial mistake. The trespassers and law breakers are defined as "poachers" or "scumbags" in my book.

That's what I was thinking too.

I will be one of them out this weekend, sitting in my treestand
I don't think folks r calling stand hunters the "orange army". I think they r referring to groups that show up with 15 guys- push through a place and shoot at running deer. Imo- those situations make it very hard to judge deer & make ethical shots. Why I find so many dead bucks in spring in heavy drive areas. I would never let what folks call the "orange army" on my land. I personally feel like my land and management efforts would b destroyed. They r welcome to hunt however they want but I will not allow drives and group pushes on my land.

I just don't understand quite what you mean.

Seems to be a common theme with you. His statement seemed pretty clear.

Anyway, the term orange army is often times used in a negative way on this website. Many bowhunters here comment how they give up bow hunting after the deer have been chased around by the orange army. Not all members of the orange army partake in the chasing of any deer, including me.

I don't think folks r calling stand hunters the "orange army". I think they r referring to groups that show up with 15 guys- push through a place and shoot at running deer. Imo- those situations make it very hard to judge deer & make ethical shots. Why I find so many dead bucks in spring in heavy drive areas. I would never let what folks call the "orange army" on my land. I personally feel like my land and management efforts would b destroyed. They r welcome to hunt however they want but I will not allow drives and group pushes on my land.
I've lived what you are talking about. We used to shotgun hunt with a group and it was the most frustrating thing to me. We hunted quite a few parcels, but one was our dad's land and our family bowhunted it and passed young deer year after year only to have them shot by the people in our group who busted out the hunting gear once a year (funny how the guys who shoot every 2.5 year old basket rack always complain about not shooting the "wall hanger"). 4 years ago (wished it were longer) my dad layed down the ground rules after my brother and I had passed a 2.5 12 point with tons of potentail. He told them not to shoot anything but something they would mount on our property. Opening drive a young 8 point went down. He reitterated the point. The last drive on Sunday I jumped the 2.5 year old 12 out of a thick patch of brush. Myself, my dad, my 13 year old brother, and my uncle all passed him within 30 yards, only to get to the last walker to get dumped at 20 yards. That was the last time anyone but family has hunted our land. We have a small group of my dad, two brothers, uncle and his daughter who sit and do methodical still hunts with others positioned in our tree stands. I absolutely hate shotgun season, but its something that I can't change. So while the neighbors are out trying to shoot everything with antlers, I might as well be sitting in a treestand trying to put down one of the ol' boys who has been nocturnal on my trail camera.
Rant over

I'm part of the "orange army" though I'm a special single sniper unit letting the rest of them do the work while I sit back and reap the benefits.

The shotgun season pulls folk out of the dark places you don't wanna go!! :D Plain and simple!! Alot of them have no respect for the animal! It's just food!! :thrwrck: I think most of us know better!! But! Bowhunters cannot control the herd( kinda like the IA. DNR!) so we have at it!!! I'll let the gunners have at it, than go back with my bow!!!:way:

muddy said:
I'm part of the "orange army" though I'm a special single sniper unit letting the rest of them do the work while I sit back and reap the benefits.

Yeah, I like that. I only drive and post hunt one weekend a year and I truly enjoy it. The people I hunt with are all responsible when it comes to shooting and handling firearms. Call us an army if you want but the best part of that weekend is catching up with old friends and eating great food. A couple of things I don't get to enjoy bow and muzzleloader hunting by myself.

I prefer Orange-O. The Orange-O's are hitting the woods....beware, beware, take care, take care!:D

All I know is I am packing an extra roll of TP to the stand with me. Depending how much lead starts flying when I am up in the tree I may need it to clean out my pants.

I admit that I use the term 'orange army' quite frequently this time of year, but I'm in no way saying it in a negative way. I guess I never thought that it offended people. The 'orange army' has been a tradition for so many years in Iowa that I don't have any issues with it as long as the practices are done legally. I could care less how many people push deer around the woods as long as they are safe and ethical.

I've only hunted deer with this upcoming year four years and the group I go with has never done a "push" or chased a deer down in a section and shot at it from the ditch. I know most shotgun hunters get a bad rep because of the few. I have a specific dislike for the bad type cause some of them ruined my dad's fence a few years back cause they didn't stop in time when trying to turn around in a field driveway and guess who had to go and fix it. That would be me! Just wanted to rant a little and maybe say a word for the respectful and law abiding shotgun hunters out there.

I use it and will continue to, when we were gun hunting 12 years ago we used it then, maybe everyone is just too sensitive...

We're all labeled somehow so maybe don't get your panties twisted up.

Yeah, I agree with Talonted...Everyone is a bit to sensitive anymore. I have been shotgunning for 14 years, and Orange Army doesnt bug me one bit...Most people know that there are the 90 percent of good ethical gunners, and then you have the 10 percent of the shaddy ones...No matter where you are in the state, that is how it is...If someone is going to tresspass/do things illegal, they are going to do it no matter if they are in orange, blue, green, camo...

I may take some flak for this but in my opinion if you are out driving deer and you are taking running shots that to me is classified as unethical unless you make a legit shot and your just trying to finish it off. I dont care if your Annie Oakley, flinging slugs at a running deer is a terrible idea and i see the results of it every March. This is my major beef with gun season besides the ridge runners and poachers.

hotshott2289 said:
I may take some flak for this but in my opinion if you are out driving deer and you are taking running shots that to me is classified as unethical unless you make a legit shot and your just trying to finish it off. I dont care if your Annie Oakley, flinging slugs at a running deer is a terrible idea and i see the results of it every March. This is my major beef with gun season besides the ridge runners and poachers.

Very well said.

HS2289....I am just curious now though, and I dont disagree with you one bit.... but what about a bowhunter that shoots at a walking deer...unethical? again, I am not disagreeing... the group I hunt with 99 percent are either stopped or walking...Yes, we push woods, but its a slow push that lets the deer trot out and never spooks them much...

Top Bottom