Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Double Bull Success II

ironwood

We had a great day hunting. MCHunter / Curly Locs and I put our first ever effort toward a Double Bull ground attack. We setup in the perfect spot well before first light. We watched several deer in the morning including a great ten that I would have been happy to harvest. It was clear after the first group that we where not brushed in good enough. When we left for the morning we improve our blind setup with loads off additional dry grass and a few corn stalks. Midday break included lunch and a walk around a small timber I intend to hunt later in the season. MC found a nice shed as we where checking things out. That alone made the day great. After that we headed back to our setup and crawled back into our blind where we both took a nice nap. 40 minutes for me and 2 1/2 hours for the kid. I woke him to watch a Red Tail Hawk eat a mouse he'd just nab right next to us. This nice doe was the first deer to come out of the timber and made her way right to the blind giving me a perfect broadside shot. She was completely clueless and very much at ease right up to pass through. The difference between our morning result and evening spoke for it self. You really need to brush them in enough to take the edges away. It was a complete blast and this was my first bow deer from the ground.
547Double_Bull_Doe_002-med.jpg

Sweet! Sounds like you guys had a great day. Congratulations Mr. Wood!
smile.gif

My brother and I took his son out tonight for the early season Urban doe hunt. We used the DB and thought we had it brushed in pretty good but I guess we were wrong. Five does came out into the powerline we were setup in and the lead doe started rubber necking real quick. None of them were broadside for him to shoot and in no time they snorted and took off back to the timber. I guess when you brush them in you really have to go all out.

Congrats on your doe Ironwood.
grin.gif

Ironwood, Id say you had a great day
grin.gif
Those are special times.... Thanks for sharing with us. Congrats on the harvest
waytogo.gif

Good hunting and be Safe!!

Woody

ironWood, got any pics the blind all brushed in? might be a good photo opp. for future "double bull sucess" stories...show how everyone is brushing them in

can sorta see the blind in the background...gunna need new camo pattern for that. realtree all purpose straw bale or something.

congrats.

Congrats ironwood,that must of been pretty exciting taking a deer on the ground,good job!
waytogo.gif

Great news!! Tell Goldylocks to get more sleep at night and stop chasing the girls!! I'm glad the two of you had the opportunity to be together for the hunt. It seems to me he has been with you on quite a few successful hunts the last couple of years. I'm jealous. The two of you have taken some nice deer.
grin.gif

Thanks everone

Alaskan here's the picture you asked for. It is 64 inches and is missing at least 2 inches from the G1. I am guessing minimum of an 18 inch spread with a matched left side. He would be a respectable deer this year.

Teeroy the blind is right behind me in the picture.
busted.gif

Rack we just added enough to make sure and take the edges off. Keep in mind also that the suns was rising on the dark side of our setup, in the afternoon that same side would have looked more like shadows as the sun set behind us. This could have help I am thinking. I will try and setup with the sun behind the blind in the future.
547South_40_shed-med.jpg

Top Bottom