Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Down to the Wire!

Scott

I took this buck on Sunday, January 9th at 3:30 P.M.
I guess I should tell you the true story behind it, its kind of amusing. LIV4RUT and I started hunting together 7 days ago. We seen alot of nice bucks sitting but neither of us were able to get anything close enough. By mid-week we decided to put on some two man deer drives. After seeing a dozen does head into a block of timber we started our push there. I was pretty sure where the deer would have to come out so I sent LIV in after them. A half hour passed before the deer started to pour out the end. Im guessing there was a herd of 35 or more deer coming right at me. The two largest bucks, a 170 ten point and the biggest eight point I had ever seen began to work their way towards me. The closest shot would have to come at about 80 yards. As the herd ran by I aimed for the big eight. I had what I felt to be a clean line of fire and squeezed it off. As the smoke cleared I could see a deer laying in the field, however it wasnt the big eight. My shot went right over his back and dropped a doein her tracks! I couldnt believe it, we then proceeded to chase the group through another block of timber but we never caught up with them again. The only good thing was that I filled one of my doe tags. The next couple of days we had a few close calls sitting again, but really luck didnt seem to be on our side. The heater died in our cabin that we were staying in so one of the nights was extremely cold. I didnt think it could really get much worse than this. By the end of the week neither of us had shot anything and LIV had to head home on Saturday. I was seriously debating whether I would hunt Sunday, however, I got a tip from a farmer on a huge buck. I headed back down Sunday around noon and laid out a plan on this new spot. With some time to burn I was just circling the blocks buying some time before I went out. At quarter to three I happen to spot a large group of deer running across the field. It appeared as if a group of pheasant hunters had jumped them. With my binoculars I could see a couple good bucks in the group. As I watched them run, I realized the next piece of cover was a piece of public ground a mile up the road. I kicked it into high gear and got up to the back side of the piece. I didnt have my gun loaded and I didnt have any of my hunting clothes on. I threw on my orange vest over my t-shirt and loaded the gun. I sprinted around the block in a pair of leather dress shoes. I had never stepped foot in this piece before so I really didnt no what to expect. I got around the back side to where a clearing opened up along a ditch. I stood there for about a half hour, the entire time freezing because I had no jacket on. Finally, I caught movement and here come the group. The first buck out was a 150 class eight point. I hesitated on him and never got a shot. The second the next buck stepped out I could see his big frame so I touched it off. All the deer ran off, but he just stood in the field with his head down. I didnt have any of my sabots or powder with me so I decided to back out. I came back two hours later and jumped him 20 yards from the shot. He made his way across the field very slowly. I decided to give him some time and come back in the morning. After picking up the trail he had only went another 100 yards and died. A mainframe ten with split brows, he grosses 165 3/8. I guess I cant ask for a much better season than this year!
786P2090107-med.JPG
786P2090102-med.JPG

786P2090096-med.JPG

WOW! Some people get a buck of a lifetime, you may have had a season of a lifetime. Congradulations Scott I.C.

Congrats, you sure did have a great season, and I'm sure you will have many more to come... I really like all the character...

What a perfect way to end the season. It's great when all the hard work..and luck come together at once! Nice job and congrats!

Congrats there Fred. You had a hell of a season. It was great huntin with ya. Maybe some of that unbelievable luck will rub off on some of us.

Your kind of my hero Fred, you miss the shot, yet you don't miss
bow.gif
Looks like I must of been bad luck for you all week long
blush.gif
That is one Awesome looking deer, and one that will look great on your wall
smile.gif
Congratulations on a well deserved trophy!!
beerchug.gif

Congrats again. Hell of a season. For those of you who don't know Fred, this year wasn't just luck. I expect big things from him in the years to come. He's definately got a knack for finding the big boys.

Congratulations Fred. A truly remarkable giant you have there. Character everywhere. I hope you got lots of cash for Christmas.....either that or your book allowance has been depleted. Great Job!

Shot in Dress shoes!!!!

Fred,
Your making me look bad again in front of Jerry
grin.gif
! Hopefully I will see him in a few weeks. Congrats bud, great season.
Todd

heck of a buck fred. i was pullin' for ya, liv told me the whole story monday morning, almost offerd to come help look, then i remembered, iowa city is a hell of a drive from here
cool.gif

oh yeah, that hat in pic 3 has to go!
grin.gif

Top Bottom