Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dr James Kroll - EHD & CWD….

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
He always has great articles. It starts out for the everyday hunter (which we need as most hunters still don’t understand this stuff). Then- gets more detailed on the strains, when it was discovered, how it impacts things, etc. Impacts of EHD & CWD …. Worth the read. EHD IMO is the biggest disease threat we will deal with. CWD…. I personally think we all need a very healthy level of skepticism based on the dollars paid for testing & no clear funding for a cure…. All the killing & testing in the world without a cure is all for nothing.

I wish he provided the citations for the claims in his article. I'm going to have to go searching for info. about the natural barrier preventing CWD from transmitting deer to man. That's the 1st I've heard anyone claim that.

Statistics are often used to bolster one’s argument. His statistic about the incidence of CJDv in humans is suspect at best. How many people do you personally know that died of Alzheimer’s or dementia and had a post mortem autopsy of their brain? My guess is zero. Dead is dead, right? The autopsy isn’t going to change anything so why bother? Thus, I’d say that stat is off on the low side. This comes from a personal experience where a relative WAS tested post mortem and the result was CJDv.

Not claiming this was caused by eating CWD + deer. Was told that sometimes proteins mutate. Maybe mutate to cross species? It has happened in other prion based disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statistics are often used to bolster one’s argument. His statistic about the incidence of CJDv in humans is suspect at best. How many people do you personally know that died of Alzheimer’s or dementia and had a post mortem autopsy of their brain? My guess is zero. Dead is dead, right? The autopsy isn’t going to change anything so why bother? Thus, I’d say that stat is off on the low side. This comes from a personal experience where a relative WAS tested post mortem and the result was CJDv.

Not claiming this was caused by eating CWD + deer. Was told that sometimes proteins mutate. Maybe mutate to cross species? It has happened in other prion based disease.

From my "limited" reading and knowledge on the subject, it appears all they can say is that it is "possible". But as you pointed out, there are no solid confirmations to say either way.

I know CWD has been confirmed in deer since the 1960s, who knows how long it has existed before that.. ??

Don't you also have to eat portions of the brain or spinal cord, to get mad cow / CJDv ?

That was my thinking. I did a research paper in college on CWD, and all the studies I read through the conclusions were inconclusive. The sample sizes are all really small, and depends on post mortem diagnosis. What they do know is there are 2-3 different types of CJD. The 1 they believe is hereditary, another is linked to mad cow disease. The other ones they have no idea, but assume it's something in the subject's environment that causes the mutation.

I went looking for new info. that Dr. Kroll may have used. All I found were the same studies I used for my paper 15 years ago.

Don't you also have to eat portions of the brain or spinal cord, to get mad cow / CJDv ?
Concentration of prion is highest in the brain and spinal cord, but nerves run through all tissues of an animal. Iowa DNR currently recommends that if your deer tests positive, don't eat it.

Between CWD and EHD we have our hands full, and hopefully a cure is found soon. Aren't they shooting a lot of deer on the Iowa line in Northern Missouri to control CWD? Also, I think almost everyone agrees deer are really exposed to these at mineral licks and even feed stations. So why are mineral licks still allowed?

Between CWD and EHD we have our hands full, and hopefully a cure is found soon. Aren't they shooting a lot of deer on the Iowa line in Northern Missouri to control CWD? Also, I think almost everyone agrees deer are really exposed to these at mineral licks and even feed stations. So why are mineral licks still allowed?
If any state is serious about cwd, it seems odd to me that they'd still allow mineral licks. Must be a big mineral lobby, like crossbows. Any Iowa guys voluntarily closing up their mineral sites?

Any Iowa guys voluntarily closing up their mineral sites?
I stopped running licks for deer probably 5 + years ago now. Can't keep the deer off the mineral blocks in the cattle pasture, but they don't hit it as hard as they did when strategically placed just for deer. The baiting laws were vague enough that if one had shot a decent deer that caught the eye of a CO or jealous internet people, it could have caused issues like it did for Joe Franz.

If any state is serious about cwd, it seems odd to me that they'd still allow mineral licks. Must be a big mineral lobby, like crossbows. Any Iowa guys voluntarily closing up their mineral sites?

That's like banning multivitamins when people get a cold.. Guess I don't see the logic in a very social animal structure.

I'd rather feed with vitamins and minerals to strengthen the animal, and give it a chance to survive from what is certain exposure.

• Deleted by Bassattackr
Show…
If you're going to ban mineral sites, you better ban licking branches and scrapes too :rolleyes:
CWD kills a fraction of what EHD and hunters do.
I didn't mean that was my stance. Just surprised more "states" aren't banning it. I feel they will. It's possible to ban human interventions, not wild occurring scrapes. My state probably has no interest in finding a cure for ehd. I'm guessing they like the occasional resetting of the population.

I didn't mean that was my stance. Just surprised more "states" aren't banning it. I feel they will. It's possible to ban human interventions, not wild occurring scrapes. My state probably has no interest in finding a cure for ehd. I'm guessing they like the occasional resetting of the population.
Didn’t MN ban scents? I remember in a store there was a sign that it was not allowed in the CWD areas

I personally don’t buy the cwd stuff. I see millions $$$$ go to testing- feds giving the states big $$$&.
Where are the equal or greater funds for researching a cure??? Maybe im missing that info I can’t find data or know anyone that says the gov is spending millions on a cure. If we dig into federal funding - it might appear to some- certain groups actually want millions in income for testing & based on those funds- wouldn’t really care if we got a cure or not.

Without a cure, based on the Government’s points- killing all the deer to slow a disease that could kill all the deer is all for nothing without a cure. The prions stay in soil forever & transmitted by plant material and dead animal material according to gov.

& yes- I’d prefer extremely healthy deer with optimal nutrition VS the opposite. Plots, minerals, grain/legumes all make huge gains to deer health & resilience. Ability to fight diseases with proper vitamins & minerals is clear. How it all relates to cwd- I dunno - but I’d prefer optimal health vs inadequate. & for the cure- humic acid “appears on the surface” to have some merit. Same with certain genetic traits in deer. Could it be like ivermectin or other treatments with Covid? Where the options/treatments are dismissed due to the $ to be made in other forms? Sure seems plausible here.

I have no definitive answers here but i absolutely have a healthy level of skepticism.

Super glad people did not run with the first few posts on this thread and turn a blind eye to CWD. Bravo to you. I do not agree with the kill them all approach, but the risks associated with CWD are real. You’re oblivious to not acknowledge the possibilities.

CWD is certainly an interesting and divisive (often unnecessarily) topic. Prion diseases are particularly scary because, if I am not mistaken, they always end in death with no known cure or method of treatment. Perhaps even scarier is the ability for these prions to pass from plant to the consumer of the plant. Thinking worst case scenario, a mutated or evolved prion that could vector through plants to humans would have devastating consequences. A couple folks on the coast get a prion disease from eating their cornflakes and you will see mass chaos (and much lower land prices.)

Top Bottom