Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Draw results are in

I’ve gotten a lot of happy text messages!!!! Congrats to those that drew!!! Welcome to the best managed state in the country, enjoy your season!!!

2 buddies with 4 points no go in zone 4. Thought 4 points was the new magic number but guess not. Frustrating after months of anticipation getting all the plots and things planned out. Guess I’ll just have to go out and put one to sleep!

Congrats to those that drew.

Iffn I was younger and more motivated.
Got 2 buddies in n.e. Iowa that want me to come hunt thier land.
I can't spend that kinds $$ for a tag.

• Deleted by Windlooker
  • Reason: Cause
Show…
Has anyone checked to see if the number of NR doe tags that were purchased was down from previous years? Did the party hunting rule have an impact on that ?

They’ll be plenty left this year for sure! The high power late season boys are gonna have a field day this January! They better make some concessions to the NR landowners next year or it’s gonna get ugly quick I’m fearing!

And the ones that do sell are going to give a big FU to Iowa and parcel up their big giant farms to get more money so that’ll lead to even more issues. I’m not on either side, R or NR but I’m a big proponent on dealing with the situation and coming up with a compromise for everyone involved. The good old days are gone are they’re never coming back.

And the ones that do sell are going to give a big FU to Iowa and parcel up their big giant farms to get more money so that’ll lead to even more issues. I’m not on either side, R or NR but I’m a big proponent on dealing with the situation and coming up with a compromise for everyone involved. The good old days are gone are they’re never coming back.

So when NRLO can get a tag every year, you think the NRs with money aren’t going to come in and buy up land? Displacing more residents to hunt the already crowded public?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when NRLO can get a tag every year, you think the NRs with money aren’t going to come in and buy up land? Displacing more residents to hunt the already crowded public?

I’m not talking about getting a buck tag every year, but I think nonresident landowners should have the opportunity to buy reduced rate doe tags to help manage their farms or would you rather just have extra tags left over so the high-power guys could come out and shoot your prized shed bucks. Most nonresident landowners aren’t tool bags. They put a lot of money and time into their farms and they should have the opportunity to help manage them. It’s not always about the big rack. The reason public land is shot up is because the does aren’t allowed to be managed on those big tracts of land that nonresidents own so on the public gets decimated.

I’m not talking about getting a buck tag every year, but I think nonresident landowners should have the opportunity to buy reduced rate doe tags to help manage their farms or would you rather just have extra tags left over so the high-power guys could come out and shoot your prized shed bucks. Most nonresident landowners aren’t tool bags. They put a lot of money and time into their farms and they should have the opportunity to help manage them. It’s not always about the big rack. The reason public land is shot up is because the does aren’t allowed to be managed on those big tracts of land that nonresidents own so on the public gets decimated.

If NRLO were so worried about managing their herd they’d make friends with residents and have them come in and shoot does with them.

But I’d be fine with NRLOs getting doe tags for $50 a piece.

If NRLO were so worried about managing their herd they’d make friends with residents and have them come in and shoot does with them.

But I’d be fine with NRLOs getting doe tags for $50 a piece.

Ha that’s like practicing all year and then watching the game from the bench. lol. Would definitely be on board for some lower doe tag prices for NRLO. Definitely need to have some serious conversations with both sides so we can go into next years legislative session as a united front and propose a bill that makes sense for all parties involved. I’ve yet to see a bill come up that doesn’t have some asinine fluff in it. Hoping the party hunt thing will stop someone’s deceased grandma from tagging a buck this year but I bet she’ll still wind up voting in the election! Lol

Ha that’s like practicing all year and then watching the game from the bench. lol. Would definitely be on board for some lower doe tag prices for NRLO. Definitely need to have some serious conversations with both sides so we can go into next years legislative session as a united front and propose a bill that makes sense for all parties involved. I’ve yet to see a bill come up that doesn’t have some asinine fluff in it. Hoping the party hunt thing will stop someone’s deceased grandma from tagging a buck this year but I bet she’ll still wind up voting in the election! Lol

That's the best part about party hunting- everyone jumping for joy that the 200 non-residents were stopped from killing a buck on a doe tag every year don't realize the number of residents that are tagging bucks on their wives' tags grossly outnumbers that. I'm sorry, but the stories of non-residents paying people thousands of dollars at Wal Mart to buy a gun tag are as believable as the black helicopters planting cougars in the middle of the night stories.

We're picking fly shit out of the pepper either way. Iowa has a gun season with short range weapons after the rut, which is why there's more 3 year old deer than other states. If anyone was serious about young bucks getting shot, they would advocate for early muzzleloader *and* early youth season getting dropped before anything to do with non-residents or a late season rifle doe hunt.

But folks want to blame a perceived decline on big bucks getting shot on a fixed number of non-residents, that's been fixed for 3 decades, instead of the Hunting Public hot spotting every public land area or the DNR giving 100 tags for promotion to anyone with a record label associated with Realtree or the Drury's. That's not even throwing in EHD.

There's a lot of dogging on other states and how everyone needs to "fix" their states: according to the latest survey, the majority of hunters in Iowa aren't asking to "fix" anything, and they're quite satisfied: https://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idn...files/2023-Iowa-Deer-Hunter-Survey-Report.pdf

I keep seeing "if Wisconsin/Missouri/Minnesota did this, they would be the best big buck state ever." Compare Allamakee in Iowa with Crawford in Wisconsin, directly across the river, and it's not even close. Even with crossbows and a late rut rifle season, the sky isn't falling and the entire county is crawling with huge bucks. I hate crossbows and yet somehow the age class has gotten better?

OMB you made good points…

If Minnesota wanted to change to Iowa regulations I would say fine, but only if the 3 buck limit was eliminated and no early Muzzy season. All seasons over by Dec 31!

1 buck limit !

Bottom line if Minnesota moved the gun season back we’d be much better. Thats the key to age, the rest is small potatoes.

We're picking fly shit out of the pepper either way. Iowa has a gun season with short range weapons after the rut, which is why there's more 3 year old deer than other states. If anyone was serious about young bucks getting shot, they would advocate for early muzzleloader *and* early youth season getting dropped before anything to do with non-residents or a late season rifle doe hunt.

But folks want to blame a perceived decline on big bucks getting shot on a fixed number of non-residents, that's been fixed for 3 decades, instead of the Hunting Public hot spotting every public land area or the DNR giving 100 tags for promotion to anyone with a record label associated with Realtree or the Drury's. That's not even throwing in EHD.

I’d be fine with early muzzleloader being iron sights only like Colorado’s muzzleloader season but I don’t think early muzzleloader is a bunch of people shooting young bucks though. I fact you could argue it protects from more deer getting shot because it’s a limited tag and if you buy an early muzzleloader tag you can’t participate in either of the gun seasons.

I don’t think anyone in here cares about what youth hunters harvest. We need more kids hunting and if it takes them going out and having an amazing experience harvesting spikes so be it.

Party hunting being eliminated would make a big impact on young bucks being shot imo. I’m not saying group hunting, party hunting. Why should a guy be picky when he can use someone else’s tag? And it would eliminate as you said guys having their wives get tags and filling them. It’s the biggest threat out of the three mentioned.

Everyone here agrees the celeb tags need to go. I’m personally not a fan of the hunting public, as you said they hot spot public lands and post the maps that you can match up easily and know where they are. Not to mention how they hunt, running after deer when I’m sure there’s other hunters in the area is pretty selfish imo.

Top Bottom