Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

draw results

Small percentage buy for hunting, most buy for investment/crop income. Corn, not sweet corn though...
That is such a completely false statement. Most of our neighbors on our farms in southern iowa are non residents and they didn't come to grow corn.

That is such a completely false statement. Most of our neighbors on our farms in southern iowa are non residents and they didn't come to grow corn.

Actually check it out, statewide there are way more non-resident farms owned overall for crop production. It's not even close. Southern Ia yeah sure.

Lots of counties to the north with big farms, some owned by siblings that now live out of state.

Maybe central and nw Iowa is that way. Any top deer county crop or rental income is secondary benefit, a means to an end. Don kisky farms I think.

Ha ha - have friends on all sides of this issue - some of which posted both sides on this thread! ;)
IMO - Mainly tillable is obviously owned by investors in or out of the state or farmers, of course. Probably little of it is owned by hunters. Southern part of state or NE, etc - stuff where mixed with timber/tillable, I'm sure NR's own a lot of it. This is all obvious, common sense.
You open up the tags, OBJECTIVE THINKING..... The fact is, whatever side of this issue you fall on.... The 5-6% of the state with timber, it's gonna get eaten up overnight by NR's. Which is what it is. Not knocking NR's at all. Many of my good friends are NR's and I was a NR at one time. All I'm saying is - there's probably THOUSANDS of buyers who have stood on the sidelines because they can't draw each year. Never bought the land. Switch that - overnight you have THOUSANDS of buyers (IMO) who will pull the trigger. IMO - it will shift the price of combo ground up by $1-2k very very fast. 5-6% timber - there's only so much and so many people who will sell. Prices get "crazy nuts" after a year or 2 - folks who would not have sold before WILL SELL as the price and demand is just insane. Kinda like when IL got to $4-5k for hunting land BUT Illinois had a ton more timber in the state than IA does. So, how high could IA get?!?! Who knows?!?! I personally think it would be mind boggling. That's my opinion, I think it could easily double, triple, who knows. Supply could not meet demand until prices got nutty. All hypothetical but interesting to think about. Trying to be Objective on one hand as I see both sides of this issue and understand the subjective parts. I just know, if things flipped with tags, whoa - access, prices, leasing and the hunting landscape would be very different a year or 2 later - for better or for worse - it would be a totally different landscape overnight.

Top Bottom