Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DSD Strutter Questions

I was fortunate enough to come across an awesome deal last night at a local sporting goods store where they had the DSD Strutters on sale for 129.99....being that I've been wanting one, it was a sure thing to go home with me. little did I realize after 2 short calls later, I would actually be taking 3 of the 5 home with me :D. One for me, one for dad, and one for a friend of mine. Now just need someone close to me to kill a bird to get the wings off of since I'm lucky to be tagged out and the wings from mine are long gone by now.

Some questions arose through after purchase from various places:

I know that they are fairly big in size, but how have you guys that run one had birds react to them this year...or since you have been running them?

Have any of you ever tried to run a jake fan out of the strutter and see what kind of reaction you would get there?

And are you running the synthetic beard or a real?

Part of me wonders if I shouldnt have just got the Jake like first planned, but with a deal like that, its hard to pass up. They will all get a go this season, and we will see what happens! Next purchase.....a DSD hen or two :way:

Reaction has been favorable. Better with the Jake in my honest opinion.

Never ran a jake fan but wouldn't be a bad idea.

Use a real beard if you have enough or obviously use a jake beard if using a jake fan.

All depends on the birds attitude. We've had two two year olds come into the strutter and had a three year old shy away from the strutter and come to the jake. Turkeys will be turkeys.

We are now running a jake and a hen and the rest are staying in the shop for now just for the sake of keeping the weight down on our pack loads.

That is a heck of a deal on the strutter. Enjoy it, they are fun!

i've got a couple sets of wings in the freezer and a fresh set from my brothers bird this morning if you want a set. not sure where you're located though.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I use a jake fan, no beard, and zip tyied my wings on...Iv had jakes a yard from it, and 2 year olds pek at it...My buddy used a full fan and beard but has had the same results...We have killed 6 bow birds and 3 gun ( youth hunters ) over them this year...The birds in strutt are the same size as the decoy, so its not as big as you think...Make a motion system for it, and you dont have to call...Get it in the open a spin it 180 and back, and its over...Best turkey decoys ever...The only thing we have seen defernt is I use a submisve hen and the seam to stay right next to the decoys longer...

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Dsd

DSDmotionsystem006.jpg

You can see the clear one to the left and black one on the right of the stud that holds the wing on...I drilled two small holes at each end about 1/4" apart...I kept them on the same wing to make it more ridged...I used small ties but wished id used next size longer...I had my wife help me as its a pain to do your self...One less thing to mess with in the dark...

motion syestem

DSDmotionsystem009.jpg

I used a 1" x 4"board, 24" long riped it down to 2 1/2" in. wide...Drill a hole in the center for the stake... use small threaded eye bolts on each side front and back for your rope...Use small bunge at the back 4" from board to end of loop long and tie a knot on the underside so it cant pull throu... The hole for it is 3 3/8" of a inch from the back end...I used 3/16" rope 50 feet long...Run your rope end starting at the back eyes to the front and tie a knot in each end...Make the loop as small as you cant get it...I used a 1/4" eye snaplink to connect the rope, the bunge and the rope to the decoy...I drilled two small holes from the end 1 3/4" for the stakes...The stakes are bent in to a u shape and are total 18" long with a about a 3" gap...I used 3/16 cold rolled steel for the stakes...If your decoy is hanging up on the knot drill another hole forward an inch or so...I used 50 feet of rope so the decoy was at 5-6 yards with a few feet of rope inside the blind...I bent another U shape stake for the rope...This way I can pull the decoy and stop it any postion I want...I painted flat camo brown and used green, and brown rope...Thay dont spook at the green rope in corn or bean fields...

DSDdecoy016.jpg

I had to trim the wings so thay wouldnt hang up on the rope in motion...thay are shorter looking than nomal but it doesnt seem to matter to the birds...If you make one you will just have to mess with it some so it works smoothly in the field for you...A buddy of mine yoused his on the DSD jake and has bow killed 3 over it this year...He hunted for two weeks with out it, and had no luck...I use it more then I do my calls now...Let them know where your at with a few calls, let them find you, and youse the motion system to finnish them...I spin it around alot...If thay stop and look at the decoy, move it...If thay are moving at you just let them come, and youse the extra stake to face the decoy the direction you want the bird to aproch the decoy for the shot...

that looks like a lot of work...not to mention a lot to carry. it is pretty cool though and i can see why it works.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Its less then 2 lbs and takes me less then 30 min. to make one...Once I got the first one done that is...I pack two in for the strutter and the up right hen...Takes a few minets to un wind it,stake it down, stake the decoy down, hooked ready to go...Cooter if you want Ill send you one its soo easy to use and my buddys love it...One buddy has the zink 360 and he said it sucks, mine is way better...Iam not bashing zinks stuff Iv never seen it work Iam shur its fine...He just said mine was more durable and fool proof and used mine over the zink...I spent 45 bucks to make 4 of them...My buddy didnt have to trim his wings for some reason, but I had to...Ill try and shoot some video in the next few days and down load it to my youtube page...

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Yep, I got two, if you like it you have a mold so you can make your own, and when your done like it or not send it back...

Top Bottom