Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Early Muz Tactics

miniwhitetails

The wife is going to try early muzzleloader again this year. She is pretty picky (more than I am) so has been 0-3 the last 3 years. We did have a mature buck last year in range but it was through brush and she didn't feel comfortable taking the shot. That was in the timber. Question for those who go early muzzleloader - Do you get more action set up in ag fields (alfalfa, picked corn, etc.) or do you focus on hunting the timber more (moving from bed to ag, feeding on acorns, etc.) Seems like the big boys don't hit the fields until right at dark but that can certainly change by the second weekend.

Thoughts?

If you're hunting from a non or low elevated position, (0-15 feet off the ground), I'd hunt field edges or edges of thinner vegetation. If you're hunting 20 to 25 feet off the ground, I'd hunt the spots that give you the most long distance visibility. Usually still field and opening edges.

Timber is still so dang thick this time of year. Much different than late season with snow on the ground and no leaves on the trees.

Timber is still so dang thick this time of year. Much different than late season with snow on the ground and no leaves on the trees.
That's what makes it so tough, a lot of spots even though it's muzzleloader can only shoot 30/40 yards or so in timber. Vs green field can shoot 100 yards both directions depending on where you set up. She will only hunt in a ground blind so that's what we use.

I don’t have a lot of experience with this season but I’ve taken a couple. I would look for a scrape on the edge of heavy timber next to an area where does feed for an evening hunt. A buck might not step into an open field, but he may come to the edge at dusk.

I'd lean towards acorn ridges, scrapes near field edges and hunt fields if the bucks are daylighting. It seemed like last year there was very little mature buck movement on my deep timber cams during shooting hours. Most importantly pivot and adjust and try to find fresh sign if you're not in them in the spots you think they should be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom