Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

early season elk calling

I'm looking for some experienced opinions about early season elk calling. I am off to Colorado Sept 1- 10 for a archery hunt. I hunted this unit in 2001 and shot a cow after spotting them and stalking. I know the rut isn't kicking in yet that early, so with that being said... Is there an effective way to call them early?

Last two years the few real bugles I heard were in response to.light cow.calling after we got in close. I can only think of one response to a location bugle. I always plan on keeping it to little cow calling. And save the location bugles for desperation if I'm not able to find them.

If you have not I would check out rokslide.com and elknut.

I'm looking for some experienced opinions about early season elk calling. I am off to Colorado Sept 1- 10 for a archery hunt. I hunted this unit in 2001 and shot a cow after spotting them and stalking. I know the rut isn't kicking in yet that early, so with that being said... Is there an effective way to call them early?

I would agree.
Lots of miles, light cow calling, don't be afraid to be aggressive if you do happen to stumble into a group.
Most of all just stay persistant!

What unit are you hunting?

We also had a high percentage of animals come in silent. Give your cold calling set ups enough time. I don't stop for a rest anymore without nocking an arrow.

Top Bottom