Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Easter Morning Bow Bird

streitl

My brother had been running a trail camera this spring and in the last week has consistently been getting turkey pics, and even had one in full strut.

We set up along a crick with timber only 100 yards wide or so. We were next to a CRP field of about 100 acres with real good upland habitat. The roosters were cackling well before first light as we walked in to get setup. It was unreal how many roosters we heard - great sign for their numbers. We started some light calling around 6:30, and periodically afterwards. Not much of a response from our calling though. We did hear a few gobbles several hundred yards away. We saw a couple birds within 75 yards, but none seemed real interested. With the thunderstorms moving in, we debated heading to the truck rather than getting caught in it. But, that debate ended as soon as we saw this guy coming at us from in the woods. As soon as he reached the field edge, he saw our hens and full strut decoy set up, and his head turned bright red, he went into full strut, and started drumming a little bit. I drew my bow when he stepped behind a clump of grass, and as soon as he cleared it, I let the arrow fly. He stumbled and dropped about 15 yards away. He's my first turkey ever, and with a bow no less. If the rain and lightning hadn't been coming in fast, I would have tried to get better pics. Oh well, the memories are more important anyhow.

Nicely done, congrats!! FWIW, I have had very fast action a few times through the years immediately in front of a big thunderstorm. While you have to keep safety first, it seems as though the toms without a hen are REALLY eager to get with one right before the storm starts up.

Great first bird Landon! It really made Colton and I feel worthless for going back to bed because it looked like rain, when we got your text:rolleyes:

Top Bottom