Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Eastern Gamagrass

dbltree

Super Moderator
Have any of you tried Eastern Gamagrass?
It's a WSG that I've been wanting to try for sometime but just haven't yet. It's a NWSG that is best grown on rich bottomland. I talked to Shepherd Farms a few years back about it, as I was thinking of it for cattle feed/hay. It was mentioned that they couldn't keep "those darn deer" out of it...and I thought...hmmmmmm!
grin.gif

It appears to be a high quality summer forage that also provides cover, although I don't think it is good winter cover.
If any of you have tried it I'd love to hear about it.

http://www.shepherdfarms.com/eastgama.htm

http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/agguides/crops/g04671.htm

That looks just like the Sudan Grass that my neighbors plated this past year for "green chop" and cattle bedding.

It was so thick I don't know if the deer utilized it or not?
confused.gif

Isn't Sudan grass an annual that gets sorgum sized seeds? I planted that a few years ago in a pheasant food plot and it was great for that. The seed was given to me though so I don't know if it was really Sudan or if my friend mistakenly referred to it as that....?

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Sudan grass an annual that gets sorgum sized seeds? I planted that a few years ago in a pheasant food plot and it was great for that. The seed was given to me though so I don't know if it was really Sudan or if my friend mistakenly referred to it as that....?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes Sudan grass is very much like sorghum. It's mostly used for "green chop" for cattle or we also used to round bale it.
The eastern gamagrass does look very similer, however it's a WSG that would last forever I expect, if maintained.
If you can plant something, you don't have to plant every year, that they like to eat and provides them with cover (8 ft high!!)it could prove useful in a wildlife planting. Guess I'll have to plant a little and give it a try
smile.gif

Top Bottom