Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

educated birds???

B

BSJelken

I've read that it's not a good idea to call to toms before the season because if that tom shows up and can't find the hen he gets harder to call in come April.
Has anyone else heard/read this or anything to the contrary?

I believe this to be true!If you really think about it how many time's would you like to get stood up before you stop believing.I hunt an area that the bird's get called to before season and I have never hunted a tougher area anywhere.If you have to do it go to a state park somewhere but don't do it where you plan to hunt or you WILL REGRET IT!!
kaboom_spawn.gif

That's my thought's

...amen, buckhunter!!...don't give them birds anymore advantage than they already have...calling to toms before season is like kicking the big buck out of his bedding area just before hunting your tree stand...

I agree with the posts above, and take it one step further. When I go scout an area before the season, I may be out there 5-10 mornings, but only use a locator call 1 time at the most. And if there Gobbling on there own, I don't even use it one time. I learned the hard way that after many mornings of owl hoots; they stop answering. That's just my experience.

Turkeys in my area are like students in my classes. Not very bright in the beginning, but some become darn neared brilliant later on
smile.gif

The moral of the story...hunt first season.

NWBuck

I hate to disagree but calling to birds doesn't hurt a thing. Calling to birds and getting busted is a whole different story. Real hens are going to call and may move away before a gobbler gets there, does that mean he won't come to calls if he gets stood up? I don't think so, in fact he may think "I better hustle the next time". Birds will become silent or very wary if you call them and aren't in position, get caught moving, or spook them. Less dominant birds may not come to a call anyway if they are tired of getting their tail whipped.

Something I have thought about quite a bit in regards to deer and turkey and have my own personal feelings about, is calling anything I do not intend to shoot.

As a human being who only lives in the woods part time, I cannot even begin to think I will never get busted. I most likely never know half the times I get nailed as the game may not tell me.

It most likely never makes a difference IF you are not busted. But when busted we just made it even tougher on each other as hunters. So my own personal preference is not to call anything I do not intend to shoot.

But there are a lot of different views of outdoor recreation these days, and the worst it can do is make things more challenging. Then we can buy 4" magnums and 500 fps bows.
smile.gif

Top Bottom