Egyptian Wheat-where to buy

I cannot seem to find egyptian wheat from anywhere local and although the online price is reasonable, the shipping cost is not. Anybody got a lead on a local source to avoid shipping costs? I am located in south central Iowa.

You can buy it from Frigid Forage, $50 for an acres worth. I got some at the Whitetail Classic from another source.

I cannot seem to find egyptian wheat from anywhere local and although the online price is reasonable, the shipping cost is not. Anybody got a lead on a local source to avoid shipping costs? I am located in south central Iowa.

Try Aaron Palm at Iowa Missouri Hybrids, he is in Keosauqua. I know he stocks it, I don't know what shipping cost there would be to get it to you. 641-919-1695

I have found him to be very willing to work with me on logistics, availability and his pricing is very good too.

Nannyslayer on here can order some for u. Or welter seed online or the above mentioned. Cheap stuff.

I haven't seen it on welters site. A guy I talked to at the Classic advised against it (Arrow Seed), as it didn't stand on its own very well. They had their own plot screen mix with mostly sorghum varieties. $35/acre, should of bought some..

I haven't seen it on welters site. A guy I talked to at the Classic advised against it (Arrow Seed), as it didn't stand on its own very well. They had their own plot screen mix with mostly sorghum varieties. $35/acre, should of bought some..

My personal experience is limited as I have only successfully planted EW just this past year, 2012. But with that experience, and a failed 2011 attempt, and conversations with others that have planted it with success, I think the real answer is...it depends.

The #1 thing I can see that would lead to a poor stand is a too dense of planting. It does look to me like these plants will compete with each other when planted too close to each other and while they will grow, the stalks do end up somewhat spindly. From what I could see, EW plants too close to one another seemed to be about 1/2 diameter of those that were not crowded. My plan this year is to go with a wider planting for my screens, like 20' wide, and really be careful about not getting too many seeds down in a given space.

Be sure to use plenty of fertlizer and plant it very close to the recommended density and I think you will be fine.

I successfully grew some EW last year even through a terrible drought and for the most part it is still standing now. Yes, the upper levels of the plant have bent over and/or broken off, but I think that was birds going after the seed heads as much as weather from what I can tell. It is still a functional screen now, although it is probably 50% of what it was last fall.

FWIW, in addition to using EW for screening food plots this year, I intend to plant at least one 1/2 acre plot of it just for bird cover/food. What pheasants I have around could normally be found in or around the only 10'-12' wide, 80' long band of EW I had. In other words, it didn't take a big patch of EW to hold birds...just think what it could do if you actually had a nice sized plot of it in a strategic area.

I'm not sure if I paid too much or not but I'm not too worried about it as its on the way.

50lbs for 75.00 plus 25.00 shipping.

We have it in our web store for $13 a 4 pound bag. Its under our food plot screen product. We are currently shipping orders of 20 pounds or less using the USPS flat rate box, so shipping costs are around$14 to $16. Shipping is getting a litttle crazy. This is pure EW, no sorgums added. Were at www.northwoodswhitetails.net
Thanks,
John

planting rate for screen

What rate are you guys planting at? I see cooper seed reccomends 4-6 lbs/acre yet hancock reccomends 50lbs/acre!!!! And I thought the prices for this stuff varied amongst the sellers. I plan on using it as a screen while accessing remote tree stands where I have no choice but to go across a large field. my plan is to fertilize at the rate similar to corn,broadcasting the seed then harrowing in and poss cultipacking. I am guessing the broadcast width to be up to 20ft wide.

What rate are you guys planting at? I see cooper seed reccomends 4-6 lbs/acre yet hancock reccomends 50lbs/acre!!!! And I thought the prices for this stuff varied amongst the sellers. I plan on using it as a screen while accessing remote tree stands where I have no choice but to go across a large field. my plan is to fertilize at the rate similar to corn,broadcasting the seed then harrowing in and poss cultipacking. I am guessing the broadcast width to be up to 20ft wide.

50#'s to the acre seems like about 40#'s too many to me!! :D I suppose if you are the one selling it then it would seem about right though. :D But I am pretty sure that if you did that you would end with a poor stand of spindly stalks that don't grow half as high as they should.

http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28421

Are you aware of the many threads, including the one I linked about that is specifically about EW, in Dbltree's Corner? I don't want to discourage you from asking questions, but IMO Dbltree's Corner is the very best source of high quality, unbiased information about food plotting and habitat management to be found anywhere...and the price is right...it's free! I suspect many of your questions would be well answered by the information already recorded in the many threads in this section.

Even though I had originally browsed through doubletrees egyptian wheat post I didnt actually study it. I took DAVERs advise and went back through it finding the answer to all my questions. I then went out on alimb and called Lacrosse forage &turf in Ankeny 515-965-4425 and found that they actually had egyptian wheat on hand at $2.00/pound for any quantity. I bought a 50lb bag to split with some buddies and even though there wasnt a discount for buying a whole bag I still think it was a fair deal. While there I was also enlightened by how many different wildlife seeds they actually had on hand including chufa which I have never seen on a shelf before. The entire staff was very nice and didnt look at you weird like at the coop because you actually want deer VS hating them.I also will be comparing their prices with welters in the future as I could avoid shipping costs entirely. Thanks everyone for your input.

Back