Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD in Iowa's Deer Heard

Great it’s getting attention!!!!!!
1) needs some of the funding that CWD gets!!!! Research & cures.
2) EHD is “new”. 1950’s first documented case in whitetail. Devastating to deer herds across Midwest - over & over. New strains have made way to iowa we have not seen before.

Here’s a very good article & these facts, research & info need to be discussed at all levels: DNR, hunters, researchers & universities doing deer research, public awareness, etc…..

Iowa seems to have more EHD than most other states. I've heard several reasons as to why. More cattle, a lot of small muddy ponds for the cattle where the deer drink, almost everyone puts feed out during the summer and concentrate the deer, and Southern Iowa stays in a drought all the time and concentrate deer at water sources. Why do you guys think Iowa has so much EHD?

Iowa seems to have more EHD than most other states. I've heard several reasons as to why. More cattle, a lot of small muddy ponds for the cattle where the deer drink, almost everyone puts feed out during the summer and concentrate the deer, and Southern Iowa stays in a drought all the time and concentrate deer at water sources. Why do you guys think Iowa has so much EHD?
I really don't know, but I am officially very curious about EHD after we got whacked this year. :confused: Since our area in SE Iowa largely "missed out" on the 2012 and 2019 outbreaks, I was sort of thinking that we had some inherent factor going for us in our neighborhood that let it pass over us, if you will. Note - in one of those years I did hear about significant loss as close to a couple of miles south of us, but none really right around our farm.

There are few cattle right around us and the ones that are put out on cornfields for winter...so no real stomped up, mud bowls full of them. We definitely experience our share of droughty summers...but again, we did in '12 and '19, and other years, too. What was different about this year??? I really don't know...but ponds are down 2'-4' everywhere...so there are all kinds of muddy banks to facilitate those midges.

I am encouraged that the DNR is aware of this and trying something to help understand/address it. I will not be pleased to read in the future a DNR press release that says that the population dropped 3% or something. Cuz...it is down A LOT more than that from what I can tell.

In my post that I copied and pasted the image from the Ike's Facebook page, they are also going to talk about how to report it. I know in 19 when the area I hunt was hit hard I spoke to several DNR officers in the area, and they were fielding lots of calls. If people are not reporting and just posting their finds on social media and forums, it can make the job of DNR harder with not having the information they could have gathered from these outbreak locations?

Southwest Davis county got hit pretty hard. I have only found two (a doe and a spike) on our 65 acre farm, but I have not looked. I have to hunt our ground very carefully and I don't hike around until after the season. I know that the number 3.5 year old bucks and older are down. In 50 sits I have had 21 bucks at 25 yards or less. Only 3 of those I would consider shooters. I killed one, passed one and misidentified one that I wish I had shot. My only neighbor that hunts has also found several dead deer.

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

I saw this the other day and thought it was interesting. Ironically I had trail cam pics of a buck this year with a growth at the back of his jaw. I never knew that was a sign of EHD until I saw this infographic.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
18d9908dc30d7e6fb64fb6c5172ece61.jpg

In my post that I copied and pasted the image from the Ike's Facebook page, they are also going to talk about how to report it. I know in 19 when the area I hunt was hit hard I spoke to several DNR officers in the area, and they were fielding lots of calls. If people are not reporting and just posting their finds on social media and forums, it can make the job of DNR harder with not having the information they could have gathered from these outbreak locations?
How far gone can a carcass be and still get tested? I was pheasant hunting and came a across a couple of dead deer. One was a pretty nice buck but both have been dead long enough to be ravaged.

How far gone can a carcass be and still get tested? I was pheasant hunting and came a across a couple of dead deer. One was a pretty nice buck but both have been dead long enough to be ravaged.
We gone hit hard here in northern Monroe county 3 rd time in eleven years bucks just get good and EHD hits again yes I know there’s always some that live but it takes a lot of big fish out of the pond . According to the DNR this area hardest hit area my question how does it affect the gene pool ? My thinking could be good or could be bad .

We gone hit hard here in northern Monroe county 3 rd time in eleven years bucks just get good and EHD hits again yes I know there’s always some that live but it takes a lot of big fish out of the pond . According to the DNR this area hardest hit area my question how does it affect the gene pool ? My thinking could be good or could be bad .
The DNR are not going to do anything about it they like population down some because of deer car accidents and their not fighting the insurance companies

Came across this on the Ike's FB page.

Thank you to Jace Elliott, IDNR State Deer Biologist for his talk December 5 on EHD (Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease) in our deer herd at the Des Moines Izaak Walton League! In 2023 we saw 1,926 suspect mortalities in 76 Iowa counties, the highest number of counties, which is the most counties historically impacted since the disease was first reported in 2012. EHD is potentially devastating at local (property) scale, however it rarely affects county wide population levels. EHD is a virus transmitted by the bite of midges (no-see-ums). Deer infected show signs of illness 7 days after exposure and it's often but not always fatal. The silver lining is that studies show variable innate resistance can develop, potentially reducing mortality over time. To learn more go to https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Deer-Hunting/Deer-Health. Good talk Jace!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

We usually have a couple cams that stay up all season and we gather them back when shed hunting usually. Below are a couple of interesting pics from one such cam...I think we are up to 16-18 dead does found and 1 dead buck. One of the does is shown below. She was looking pretty puny in the first pic and pretty much died right there on cam. The buzzards were on her inside of 3 hours. Then there was enough feasting activity on her, mainly by buzzards, that the card got filled up not long after this sequence.

Most finds were pretty close to water, but this was one that was a little off any water, FWIW.

MFDC0258.JPG

MFDC0259.JPG

We usually have a couple cams that stay up all season and we gather them back when shed hunting usually. Below are a couple of interesting pics from one such cam...I think we are up to 16-18 dead does found and 1 dead buck. One of the does is shown below. She was looking pretty puny in the first pic and pretty much died right there on cam. The buzzards were on her inside of 3 hours. Then there was enough feasting activity on her, mainly by buzzards, that the card got filled up not long after this sequence.

Most finds were pretty close to water, but this was one that was a little off any water, FWIW.

View attachment 127071

View attachment 127070
That sucks Daver, I know how you feel. I think we are up to 6 bucks and 13 does and fawns just on our property. Hoping some deer from surrounding areas will help fill back in.

Top Bottom