Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

EHD in SW Iowa

IowaChiro

Well boys...I'm pretty bummed. A pretty big buck was found dead near where I hunt a couple of days ago. No signs of trauma. I found two mature does dead yesterday, while hanging tree stands. Again, no signs of trauma. Then this morning I have a patient tell me they have found over a dozen bucks and does dead in cornfields so far. The biggest being what he called a giant(every body has a different gauge on that). I was hoping to escape the scourge of EHD again, but from what I have on cams and scouting trips, either we are getting hammered again down here, or the population isn't recovering from last year.(read the does didn't have many fawns).

I am in Taylor too, found a dead one in Warren County. Hate EHD, hills got hit hard and western part of my home county got it too.

I haven't been in the timber since spring (stay out as much as possible), but from all the ponds I have checked, I haven't found a single deer except for the ones I found last spring while shed hunting. I hunt primarily in the Blockton area. I have a stand right on a creek that I will take a look at, at that time, but hope it was isolated incident!

IowaChiro lives in Page County! ;)

Indeed..but hunting in Taylor too, which is where the dead are to be found. It's part of it, and probably has happened to some degree every few years, but since I started bowhunting in 2006, I pay more attention to it now.

2 Bucks and 4 Does in Page Co and 2 Bucks found in Montgomery right by water sources. I've been seeing very few mature bucks and I've been driving around taking pictures of deer for weeks.

Walked a creek bed for a long stretch with it being dry on our farm and didn't see a thing luckily. Hopefully it is all isolated.

I do, Kasey, and I think you are a former Illini..but I won't hold that against you..but I do want to outshoot you next time.

Sweet dude, I was just at Ty's over the weekend and saw you big ole hawg of an 8pt. That dude is awesome!
Good luck this year man,we will for sure have to get out on the range again after season.

I have heard a few guys are finding them again in NW MO too.

I swear I smelled one the other day and so did my daughter. Went back in the daylight about 3 days later and couldn't find it. We need to look again.

I swear I smelled one the other day

Pretty sure I smelled a dead deer on our Cedar County farm while hunting the evening of October 3rd. I didn't look too hard for it as the crops are still standing. It will be easier to look after the combine goes through.

According to the Cedar Rapids Gazette, Johnson and Cedar County are getting hard hit.

I'm in western Washington Co. I found one dead 3 weeks ago laying in a stream, and then neighboring land owner told me that he found 3 last week laying in or next to water--all does. One of those was still alive but barely. I've heard of other guys finding them. However, I'm seeing as many does as ever, but getting far fewer nicer bucks on camera. Hopefully they aren't all floating in the creek!

Top Bottom