Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Elk in Iowa

Random elk- very occasional seem the be the norm! Hear of a few each year
NW iowa- by in laws land - they had a moose on multiple occasions. Traveling big Sioux river.

I think NE Iowa has possibly had bear????

Random elk- very occasional seem the be the norm! Hear of a few each year
NW iowa- by in laws land - they had a moose on multiple occasions. Traveling big Sioux river.

I think NE Iowa has possibly had bear????
Yes NE Iowa has had some and so has SE Minnesota. Definitely very rare to see though. Which is weird because you only have to drive about an hour into WI to get into a lot more of them, they just must not move much.

One thing I have noticed this year though. NE Iowa and SE Minnesota has way more bobcats than ever before. They exploded this year. I primarily hunt 4 farms and I used to get a bobcat on just one farm of the four (like one or two pictures a year). This year I have had them on all 4 and multiple different days/occurrences. I have talked to folks in MN and they have all noticed the same uptick. Makes me wonder if they will expand the bobcat zone eventually.

Yes NE Iowa has had some and so has SE Minnesota. Definitely very rare to see though. Which is weird because you only have to drive about an hour into WI to get into a lot more of them, they just must not move much.

One thing I have noticed this year though. NE Iowa and SE Minnesota has way more bobcats than ever before. They exploded this year. I primarily hunt 4 farms and I used to get a bobcat on just one farm of the four (like one or two pictures a year). This year I have had them on all 4 and multiple different days/occurrences. I have talked to folks in MN and they have all noticed the same uptick. Makes me wonder if they will expand the bobcat zone eventually.
We have so many bobcats on my farm it’s insanity. Like- my home farm - if guys get their “3 bobcat limits” - I’d not be surprised what so ever to see 5 guys all limit out on my parcel & still have plenty more. We shoot & trap a good amount & lots more than anyone could imagine

IMHO on another one - COUGARS will continue to grow in sightings. Wouldn’t surprise me if in 10-15 years “most farms” had cougar sightings & had em on trail camera. This last season, I know of a good solid half dozen on camera that were in totally different areas & very likely different cats. I know they travel a lot but the sightings have been on an upward trend last 10-20 years for sure.

With all these trends: ELK, BEAR, MOOSE, COUGAR…. We are trending in a wild direction!!! Few more decades maybe we will have grizzlies, Mulies, mountain goats, alligators (global warming of course) & who knows what else! ;)

We have so many bobcats on my farm it’s insanity. Like- my home farm - if guys get their “3 bobcat limits” - I’d not be surprised what so ever to see 5 guys all limit out on my parcel & still have plenty more. We shoot & trap a good amount & lots more than anyone could imagine

IMHO on another one - COUGARS will continue to grow in sightings. Wouldn’t surprise me if in 10-15 years “most farms” had cougar sightings & had em on trail camera. This last season, I know of a good solid half dozen on camera that were in totally different areas & very likely different cats. I know they travel a lot but the sightings have been on an upward trend last 10-20 years for sure.
Half dozen, that is eerie. I'd prefer not to hunt with cougars around. I think I heard of 1 up here and that was never even confirmed so tough saying.

Back to the bobcats though, it makes me worry about the turkey and pheasant population. The turkey population IMO is the best it has ever been, seems like they are thriving. I just wonder if more and more bobcats will eventually slow that growth or if we might even see a decline. The pheasants I would say are about average, seems like the nest raider population is up (coon, possum, etc.). It can't be good for the forecast of birds. Turkeys do seem to be pretty resilient though so maybe they stay strong despite the bobcat uptick?

Half dozen, that is eerie. I'd prefer not to hunt with cougars around. I think I heard of 1 up here and that was never even confirmed so tough saying.

Back to the bobcats though, it makes me worry about the turkey and pheasant population. The turkey population IMO is the best it has ever been, seems like they are thriving. I just wonder if more and more bobcats will eventually slow that growth or if we might even see a decline. The pheasants I would say are about average, seems like the nest raider population is up (coon, possum, etc.). It can't be good for the forecast of birds. Turkeys do seem to be pretty resilient though so maybe they stay strong despite the bobcat uptick?
I personally think coons, possums & skunks are way harder on turkeys than bobcats. They take out nest after nest. Bobcats only get one bird at a time. They are killers but they also eat rabbits, mice, birds, etc. Those nest raiders are combing farms all spring gobbling nests. Even with hundreds of acres of CRP- they destroyed so many nests on me I’d see - was crazy. 4-5 years of massive nest raider killing… millions of turkeys, pheasants & quail. Huge difference. Cover is a big deal but with that many nest raiders- it’s not enough. Kill the suckers and then u see what is possible!!
But yes, the double whammy- we pounded bobcats & coyotes too …. Finally got things in check. Only last one is hawks & owls….. which is clearly fine.
I like em & id anecdotally say…. We pry killed & continue to kill 75% of the problem with nest raiders & coyotes/bobcats. My farm is darn near coon-free. Every month some will show - load the dog proofs back up- poof - they gone. :) It’s honestly very easy, minimal time & a massive difference!!

Grizz? You sure you can skin Grizz pilgrim? I can skin most anything. Sure are cocky for a starvin pilgrim.
-Jeremiah Johnson
Great movie.

On a more serious note, If the cougar and or mountain lion population upticks in NEIA I might have to retire from morning hunts lol. Let a lone a grizzly bear. Imagine meeting that thing in the dark. I'm out.
The 3 S rule would apply IMO.

Top Bottom