Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Enlist Corn and Beans.

I am tired of the lack of results with Round Up. Anyone have luck with Enlist Corn and Beans? It has to be better. Marestail is out of control this year. I no tilled the beans and regular planter Corn. Going to figure how to get my 606NT to plant 4 row Corn next year.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Most beans these days have the ability to spray more than just round up. If you are wanting clean fields like ag fields then you need to treat it like an ag field. Pre emergence herbicide with residuals then come back with post spray with possibly more residuals. Enlist beans are great for getting weeds cleaned up. Any herbicide resistant corn will be easy to manage weeds in with right herbicide program you don’t specifically need enlist corn unless you really want it. Local ag retailers can create a herbicide program for you. What have you been doing for spray program currently?

Most beans these days have the ability to spray more than just round up. If you are wanting clean fields like ag fields then you need to treat it like an ag field. Pre emergence herbicide with residuals then come back with post spray with possibly more residuals. Enlist beans are great for getting weeds cleaned up. Any herbicide resistant corn will be easy to manage weeds in with right herbicide program you don’t specifically need enlist corn unless you really want it. Local ag retailers can create a herbicide program for you. What have you been doing for spray program currently?
Thanks for the response. I wasn't able to obtain Astrazine until after I planted. Next year will be better.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't able to obtain Astrazine until after I planted. Next year will be better.

Dual stacked liberty+round up resistant beans & corn will greatly help you. I've almost forgot about the days of fighting waterhemp. Liberty works well on waterhemp and marestail while the round up will kill the grasses.

I'm sure enlist beans and corn would work well. 2-4d and round up tank mixed is a pretty deadly combo. I've not been around dicamba other than when the neighbors drifted onto me and killed some alfalfa and dinged some trees.

Enlist beans are great!!!!!
U want NO WEEDS & huge interval between spraying (yes, u do ;) ) ….
Burn down with enlist 2,4-d, ams, Gly & zidua pro. Game over. Next spray: Liberty or Gly + enlist + metolachlor - done. Fomesafen is another great herbicide on 2nd pass if needed.

Same with corn: burn down: 2,4-d, Gly, atrazine or simazine, metolachlor, ams & mesotrione - boom!!!! (Can buy premix like acuron if u don’t wanna mix it all). Second pass…. Gly, 2,4-d & one pre depending on what weeds are there…. Again- game over.

I can make a cocktail on corn that truly is ONE pass if you time it right…. Week or 2 before plant (need rain get it into soil & activate)… Gly, ams + 2,4-d, 2 lbs atrazine, 45 oz metolachlor, labeled rate of Mesotrione & I’d spike with one more thing like prowl h20. It’s a hot mix with 2 posts (Gly & 2,4-d) & 4 pretty high rate pre-emergents that all compliment eachother. This cocktail will do 1 pass 75% of the time IMO. One pass has troubles if u have a lot of weed seeds in bank (cocklebur, foxtail, water hemp, etc), it stays wet or u put on manure. One pass has its challenges but doable. If u try one pass… always be prepared to do 2 pass if needed.

It’s hard but simple….. get the cocktails you need- understand what to spray (above is all u need to know for 95% of folks)…. Buy it, mix it, read label, spray and u will NOT have weed issues done correctly. The “hard part” is saying “oh, I need to mix 4 ingredients vs 1” for example. Cost is non-issue if u understand the time & yield differences. Way $ ahead. All this stuff is over the counter except atrazine but u can sub simazine. One year of doing this and it’ll be no Brainer simple going forward.
& hey- I’m a city boy that started with a garden in town as a kid…. If I can figure this out - anyone can! :) Get your herbicide list above- buy it well in advance… mix & spray on time…. Easy button!!!

Last edited:
I had forgotten that I obtained a Monsanto Applicator License a few years back. Keystone took their time updating their website and my account with them so, I had planted without using Atrazine this year. Never again.

I’m in waaayyyy over my head here, definitely don’t claim hardly any knowledge when it comes to the comments above but I remember reading somewhere that guys were claiming that beans with “stacked traits” were noticeably less attractive to deer than beans that weren’t.
Not even sure if I’m describing it properly.
Anyone speak to that?

I’m in waaayyyy over my head here, definitely don’t claim hardly any knowledge when it comes to the comments above but I remember reading somewhere that guys were claiming that beans with “stacked traits” were noticeably less attractive to deer than beans that weren’t.
Not even sure if I’m describing it properly.
Anyone speak to that?
Yes, there is a growing concensus that enlist beans are the least desirable to deer of all the different kinds of beans. I cannot speak to the why, but alot of folks are noticing it.

Yes, there is a growing concensus that enlist beans are the least desirable to deer of all the different kinds of beans. I cannot speak to the why, but alot of folks are noticing it.
Thanks IBH
Definitely something to consider for the food plotters.
My neighbor had a nice bean plot last fall, I’d guess 5-8 acres and he couldn’t believe how many beans he had left by March/April. It wasn’t that they didn’t hit them at all but you could clearly tell something wasn’t right. I made sure to ask the real world guys this question this spring when I went to buy my beans.

Any reasoning to add enlist if spraying liberty 2nd pass? It seems to knock out everything deader than snot
I don’t like Liberty for: velvet leaf, marestail, cocklebur, etc. Or if any weeds get bit too tall. Liberty has strengths but huge weakness on those broadleaves & grass. Enlist 2,4-d will have a bit of residual as well.

Not labeled or recommended (so this is a made up example) …. Maybe a guy mixed Gly + Liberty…. Worked great!!! ;). Don’t wanna encourage resistance - why it’s not labeled for it.
Post emergent only: Gly + enlist 2,4-d + ams is unstoppable on almost anything.

Thanks IBH
Definitely something to consider for the food plotters.
My neighbor had a nice bean plot last fall, I’d guess 5-8 acres and he couldn’t believe how many beans he had left by March/April. It wasn’t that they didn’t hit them at all but you could clearly tell something wasn’t right. I made sure to ask the real world guys this question this spring when I went to buy my beans.
imo- here’s why…. New beans are made for high yield over flavor. Heirloom or old non-gmo beans are more “natural flavor”. What deer want is higher oil & lower tannin contents. U can try “20 varieties of conventional” & find a handful that out-perform others. There’s gmo beans that taste great. Need to try few varieties.

*mild winters will always have lower deer pressure on any soybeans btw.

Last- can’t stress enough….. if your soil is low ph & calcium deficient …. You will not have desirable beans vs proper levels!!!! Calcium: creates flavor & animals brains crave high nutrient plants. When ph is wrong it binds up ALL nutrients!!!!! P,k,s,n, etc etc. Micros & macros.
Let me illustrate it this way…. Go eat an apple grown in fertile farm soil on Midwest that’s dark & full of nutrients. Then- go get that exact same apple variety EXCEPT get it imported from some massive grower in CA or S or Central America!!!!! Grown in junk soil & basic minimal chemical fertilizers applied. First will be packed with flavor & nutrients. Second will be lacking & dull flavor. When u find a farm apple around here - eat it. Amazing. That’s what we want to do to our beans: grow in nutrient rich soil at proper ph. Game changer.

imo- here’s why…. New beans are made for high yield over flavor. Heirloom or old non-gmo beans are more “natural flavor”. What deer want is higher oil & lower tannin contents. U can try “20 varieties of conventional” & find a handful that out-perform others. There’s gmo beans that taste great. Need to try few varieties.

*mild winters will always have lower deer pressure on any soybeans btw.

Last- can’t stress enough….. if your soil is low ph & calcium deficient …. You will not have desirable beans vs proper levels!!!! Calcium: creates flavor & animals brains crave high nutrient plants. When ph is wrong it binds up ALL nutrients!!!!! P,k,s,n, etc etc. Micros & macros.
Let me illustrate it this way…. Go eat an apple grown in fertile farm soil on Midwest that’s dark & full of nutrients. Then- go get that exact same apple variety EXCEPT get it imported from some massive grower in CA or S or Central America!!!!! Grown in junk soil & basic minimal chemical fertilizers applied. First will be packed with flavor & nutrients. Second will be lacking & dull flavor. When u find a farm apple around here - eat it. Amazing. That’s what we want to do to our beans: grow in nutrient rich soil at proper ph. Game changer.
Yea this is in west central il on class A soil so that’s not the issue. And the winter was mild sure but that only adds to my opinion that the habitat can sustain far more deer (at least in 80% of the areas in the Midwest) than what’s being sold to us if a 5-8 acre standing bean field isn’t getting fully destroyed mild winter or not. And the area I’m in actually has a decent density relatively speaking. So it’s got to be the Enlist beans or a bean like it.
Skip, is there a few round up ready soybeans that you’d promote that don’t have stacked traits, high in oil/low in tannin? I believe the real world soybean I’m using fits that description at least that’s what they tell me anyway.

Yea this is in west central il on class A soil so that’s not the issue. And the winter was mild sure but that only adds to my opinion that the habitat can sustain far more deer (at least in 80% of the areas in the Midwest) than what’s being sold to us if a 5-8 acre standing bean field isn’t getting fully destroyed mild winter or not. And the area I’m in actually has a decent density relatively speaking. So it’s got to be the Enlist beans or a bean like it.
Skip, is there a few round up ready soybeans that you’d promote that don’t have stacked traits, high in oil/low in tannin? I believe the real world soybean I’m using fits that description at least that’s what they tell me anyway.
I have some pioneer bean #’s that do great.
Try the real world & see if they like them better. If they do in fact like them better…. There’s a lot of herbicides u can use even if they are not enlist beans. So- if those are “the beans” & they prefer them- u can make them work & get excellent weed control - No doubt.

I don’t like Liberty for: velvet leaf, marestail, cocklebur, etc. Or if any weeds get bit too tall. Liberty has strengths but huge weakness on those broadleaves & grass. Enlist 2,4-d will have a bit of residual as well.

Not labeled or recommended (so this is a made up example) …. Maybe a guy mixed Gly + Liberty…. Worked great!!! ;). Don’t wanna encourage resistance - why it’s not labeled for it.
Post emergent only: Gly + enlist 2,4-d + ams is unstoppable on almost anything.
Is it desirable for the deer? It seems that some have mentioned that Liberty is less preferred? I just had a bunch of Pigweed and Marestail . Should I just use astrazine with Gly on Gly beans next year?

Is it desirable for the deer? It seems that some have mentioned that Liberty is less preferred? I just had a bunch of Pigweed and Marestail . Should I just use astrazine with Gly on Gly beans next year?

Can’t use atrazine on beans.
If you have RR beans without enlist tolerance…
Burn down 7 days before planting with:
1) 2,4-d (LV6 type)
2) Gly or Glufosinate/Liberty (since it’s not Liberty tolerant- u can take advantage of Liberty at burn down if wanted) I would but it’s one more thing to buy
3) ammonium sulfate
4) zidua pro or comparable (I also like fierce xlt but u need be more careful not to over apply it).

2nd spray, before weeds get too tall!!
1) Heavy Gly & ammonium sulfate
2) fomesafen
3) metolachlor
4) prowl h2o.

U do this on RR beans- u will have a dream plot & usually still destroy difficult weeds. Just don’t let them get too big. Consider above a “grocery list” or a “recipe”. Do it right & it will work amazing.

Top Bottom