Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ethics (trail cams)

H

Hutch55

I would like to hear what people think about the ethical side of trail cams etc. What's next?

I have four trail cams, think they are a great scouting tool and have a blast using them.Also I built my own and that gives me more pride in the pictures that I get from them, besides saving me a lot of money on each camera. Each camera cost me about $95 to build.The only unethical aspect I can see
from them is there are scumbags out there who just can't let one where it is when they find it. I had one stolen back in November, figured out who had it, went to his house and raised the roof on his butt, got my camera back but he won't wave when he drives past the house anymore,I don't understand.

I have always wanted a trail cam, but prices are a little bit to hight yet. I like the idea of being able to make my own. If you dont mind i would like to know what all is needed and where i can get it. Thanks.

Hutch55, I have never really thought about using a trail cam, but I can not see why anyone would think they would be unethical? What am I missing ???

IaCraig

Iv made a couple of them myself. They work great. I got the info from jessieshunting page.com I think thats it if its not right Ill get the correct address to you guys. Iv done some modifications from the way they build theirs. Its basically the same but change the relay so the battery lasts longer and I get a delay from 4-45 seconds. Cant wait til Saturday and get them back out in the woods.
Another thing, I dont think they are unethical because you might get a pic of a real nice buck but you may never see that deer while hunting. you just have a nice pic to show your hunting buddies and something to dream about.
If you get a pic. of a nice buck you get obsessed and pass up on alot of deer hoping to see the monster. Thats what I did and then I saw him just didnt get him in range. When you see them then you really get obsessed.
WAIT FOR THE PERFECT SHOT! TTM

Heres another great site with tons of information on building a trail camera, and a trail camcorder. http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/homebrew-cams.html

This year i was lucky enough to win a trail cam from a drawing here on the net. Im hooked, these things are excellent. I do not believe that this camera helped me hunt, but it did keep me excited when i could see what was on the farm i was hunting. I still did not see all the bucks that i have pictures too, and i dont see where this is unethical.

Glad you guy's found jesses page that is the same info on my buddies site. My buddy wanted to put together a site for making your own gear with some of his own ideas and anyone else's that wanted to contribute. Bowhuntinfool, I'd be interested in findin out how you set up your delay, as I've had
a couple of deer stand there and burn up a whole roll of film. Addictive, oh yeah, they no me by name at the one hour photo.

steve

I don't know about ethics, everyone has their own, But I say set one up on your bedroom doorway so it goes off when you move around at night and see what you think.

I think I bother the deer enough during the day myself. Besides some of this stuff for me cuts too much of the challenge out of the game, I would rather use my own skills to figure out what is there by reading sign etc...But that is me. I have seen some good pictures by those things, but not as good as TLH's. (plug) Does that get me immediate "14 pointer" status Tony?

I envision a future hunt that is remote controlled & video monitored so I just haul my remote controlled bow to the woods and set it up with all my attractants, and video radar gear. Then while setting home in my lazy boy I get an alarm on my video monitor when the buck that meets my standards is scanned by the database controlled radar moving into the kill zone, quickly the laser sight locks on the vitals and I push the button on my hunting remote and the relay controlled device holding my string lets go and "OH NO!" that was the TV remote!!!!! Maybe next time.
grin.gif

[This message has been edited by BW (edited 12-22-2001).]

i don't see any ethical issues with a camera. i see it as another way of enjoying and learning about whitetails.

whenever i have questioned if something is ethical or not, my first focus has been the law.

if it's illegal, then it's unethical.

but just because something is legal, doesn't make it ethical. if the issue i'm confronting is within the law, then what decision i am going to live more comfortably with. i think it's that simple.
smile.gif

BOBCAT,
They show you how to do it on jessies web page only my friend and I did it a little diferent. You will need to go to the web sight stated above in DON K's reply then go to "HOW TO MODIFY MS20" go down to "FOR THE TINKERERS".We used the same 470capacitor but you dont need a 1M potentiometer thats to big. We went to Radio Shack and got the parts,(wish I could remember the part #s) The one we used was about 47K.we tried the one that he suggested but it was way to touchy to get the delay you wanted. You can choose which one you want,eack K will be about 1 second. For example our 47K is around 45-50 seconds. Radio Shack has several to choose from. I wouldnt get one any longer than 1-1.5 min. because your camera will freeze up if the sensor is being tripped for more than 3 mins. Thats why we went with the 47K. because if a animal trips the sensor then moves again befor the sensor resets the time will start over again and we will still be under 3 mins. Sorry for rambling on but if you have any ?s you can email me. Hope this helps.
WAIT FOR THE PERFECT SHOT!!!

BowHunt'nFool, thanx for the info, a friend of mine is comin home for xmas that is a electronics whiz, will put him right on it!

Steve

Top Bottom