Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

European mount turkey skull

Handcannon

I skinned my boys turkey head the other day w/ the intention of doing a european mount. If I boil this thing will the beak come off? I don't want to ruin it.

A euro mounted turkey head? Sorry I cant answer your question but Ive never heard of doing such a thing

Don't know if the beak will come off during boiling, but I've seen bird heads cleaned by dermisted beetles. That would be the best way if you have doubts.

I think the beak will come off but you should be able to glue it back on. Back in college I did some euro boiling of some hawks and owls for my work study and each beak came off. Keep a close eye and you'll catch it before it fades out too much.

Muddy is correct. Beaks are mostly keratin covering smaller amounts of bone so they will likely fall off if you boil them. Like Muddy said, if it happens, you can glue them back on, though. Otherwise, dermestids or a good ant mound will do the trick. I place skulls, other bones, etc. containing tissue on ant mounds all the time and they pick them clean in no time.

Not much for ants around here & I'm not that patient :) We'll boil it & keep watch of the beak. It's gonna be cool, they have giant eye sockets. I'll post some pics when it's done. We're gonna work on his fan mount this weekend.

Top Bottom