Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ever have a bullet zing by your head!!!!!!?

Bowhuntingboy

So... why am I posting this right now before closing time? Because I'm not on stand. Why am I not on stand? Because I just had a bullet zing by my head and hit a branch right behind me.

Saturday is firearm opener in MN so I figured I'd better get out bowhunting today before the deer go nocturnal. I went out at noon for a couple hours. People all over were blastin' away sighting in the day before opener. I headed back home for some sustinance and headed back out at around 3:30 or so. I was on stand for maybe a half hour and a little buck came meandering by and became interested in the scent I had put out. The hunt was going good. I wasn't too excited about all the shots around from people sighting in but hey, I guess I should expect it the day before opener (not the smartest on their part-getting the deer all nervous). Next, a nearby landowner starts shooting his gun and spooks this little buck into the swamp... oh well... no hard feelings... wasn't a shooter anyway. But then, ziiiing, crack... bullet goes zinging by me and hits a stick not far behind me! I held my bow up in case this was a guy pissed at me thinking I was an early gun hunter-poacher and had his scope on me. He popped a few more shots and I flinched every time... I climbed down so fast I might have set a record...

Just got off the phone with the guy
grin.gif
. Did that ever feel good. After I shared him my 'opinion' we did actually end up hanging up the phone with no hard feelings but he's gonna be more careful-that's for sure. Just though I would share this. Would've rather still been on stand though.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?

Shotgunning over 10 years ago. That was my last year shotgunning. You definitely feel helpless with the lead flying.

I no longer hunt in a group for gun season reason being I was forced to eat dirt one day because I had slugs zinging over my head after that I said this is not worth it. Now I just go sit in the middle of my ground and let everyone push the deer around. Not a good feeling at all. Glad you ended up OK.

When we bought our farm back in '91, I was so happy to have my own piece of ground to hunt. No more public hunting. I took my climbing tree stand down to the creek bottom for opening day of shotgun season. I'm sitting up in the tree when I hear gravel flying/tires skidding up on the road about 200 yards to the south. I hear doors open (can't see because of trees) then hear peekew, peekew and then ricochets going past my tree. I tried to get skinny behind the tree, wishing I would have picked a bigger tree. Three bucks and three does run under my stand, and I dump the half rack
frown.gif
I hear them up at the vehicle on the road saying, "sounded like a high power". Doors slam and they tear out of there. Well, I know the sound of a high power, and it wasn't ME shooting one. I went up and looked for shell casings, didn't find any. The game warden said he couldn't do much without a visual, but at least I let him know about the incident. High power road hunters
mad.gif

I have had happen twice to me now. You would tink i would learn after the first but shotgun season for has never been about shooting deer but being with friends and family; that is till they start shooting at the buck in between the two of you hiting the tree above me. i then hit the ground and a bullet hit right where I was standing into the tree. It is hell of a scary feeling up close with a bullet.
The next time I was sitting in tree stand when a guy with a 22 went hog wild shootin at squirels. I think I jumped right out of the treestand just to go over and tear the idiot who did a new one. But is probably because of all this that has led me to the solitude of bowhunting.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was hunting on a new piece of hunting ground. I had just gained permission a couple weeks prior to my first hunt. This was some real "Cousin Eddy" ground.
grin.gif
When my buddy & I pulled up to hunt that day, the landowner's dog was a nasty old mean german shepard. We wouldn't get out of the truck until the guy came and got his dog. He even warned us not to get out until he came and pulled his dog away. Anyway, make a long story short, after about an hour in the stand, his neighbor and a bunch of buddies come flying up the hill in their old truck. Keep in mind that I'm hunting the edge of the property (approx. 40 yards or so from the fenceline). All of a sudden I see 3 guys pop out of this truck and start shooting at a deer (shotgun season is a good 2 weeks or more away). The deer jumps the fence and heads my way.
shocked.gif
Holy Crapppppppppppp. Slugs were a flyin'. They jump in their truck and go down the hill. I'm so scared and nervous that I get out of my treestand and after about 10 steps or so here comes the freakin' truck again. I start to high tail it out of there so they can't see me. Well I think they spotted all of my brown camo and thought it was a deer. I hear a slug make a buzzing sound over my head and hit a tree down in the valley in front of me. I ran (okay I sprinted like Carl Lewis in the Olympics) back to my truck and never went back again. This was an awesome spot up in the Loess Hills but definitely not worth getting killed over.

Last year during Nebraska's rifle season, I was sitting in my ground blind one evening and heard a distant rifle shot. A shot time later I heard the "zing" of the bullet going by. It happened a second time. I figured I'd better get out of there, cause if I could hear those bullets going by, they were too close!

Quite a few years ago I had a slug smack a tree about 40 yards away, one of the reasons I really don't care to hunt during shotgun season anymore.

Yes... But never in a hunting situation.
I have not been in the woods during shotgun season since 91. To many once a year trigger pullers.

Once, quit slug hunting after that and switched to bowhunting. Best thing I ever did.

I use to hunt in an old junk yard that was out in a woods. There were old cars and trucks from the 50's and 60's in it. The farmer would literaly drive the vehicles into the woods (and for some reason) pull the keys and walk away. The cars got shot up pretty bad and just rusted away. I sat on top of one of the old cars for years on opening morning. Coolest stand I ever sat in or is it on!?!?! But anyway one afternoon about 20 years ago I was sitting on top of this old car (I think it was a '69 Chevy 4 door) and a bunch of deer cut accross the field I was hunting next to. Some road hunters came a long about that time and all jumped out and started unloading on them. I was sitting on the old car about 2-300 yards away. A slug hit the car I was sitting on. I jumped off and jumped in the old farm truck and did my best impression of the "Genral Lee" on The Dukes of Hazzard! I was driving accross this corn field about 60 miles an hour. When I came to the end row I got airborn and flew about 10 feet! The racks flew off the truck! (Dad was furious watching me drive through the field so fast and jumping the truck! He didn't know why I was doing it) But anyway I got out to the road and chassed the a$$holes down. Caught up to them a couple miles down the road and reemed them good. Never dawned on me to call the gamewarden. But it was a scary expierience just about getting shot! But fun getting air with the truck. Not fun having to fix the broken livestock rack:(

Top Bottom