Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Expert Opinions Wanted

Tall_Tines

A friend of mine has been after a buck all year. He had some close calls with bow and then he was coming out in the open during first shotgun two nights in a row. He decided to go against the odds and got himself a tag the last day just hoping he would show up again. He showed up and he took a 150 yard shot at him and thought he put a good hit on him. We found blood and a piece of what looked like a leg bone that night. We decided to wait and track the next morning. We tracked him a 1/4 mile the next morning and found an even larger chunk of bone. We eventually lost the trail in some grass so we made a sweep of the woods ahead. I kicked the buck up 30 yards away and his left leg was hanging by nothing but skin at about the knee. We kept tracking and we bumped him a few more times but the leg stopped bleeding and their was really nothing we could do as the season was now closed. We had to give up and had no clue the condition of the buck. We both felt really bad for the buck. We wondered if he would die from it or not, but turns out a few hunters saw him out feeding two days ago. I was suprised that, of all things he was still carrying. I was just curious if any of you had had any experiences like this in the past and how this will affect the buck. Whether or not he will live to next year? Whether or not he will ever grow a normal rack again? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thabks guys.

He will pry live, but doubt he will have a normal rack next year...find someone with a late muzzy tag if anything...or go after him hard with the bow if the tag is still open...

They are very resilient. I think he will be just fine unless a combination of cyotoes or dogs and deep snow get him. If his front leg is damaged, he may grow a normal rack. If his back leg is the one that was shot he will porobably be nontypical on the opposite side next year. Either way I would think he will be really tough to kill.

We didn't have a doe named "Tripod" for nothing back by my mom and dads.

I bet he'll shed out early if someone don't get on him with a late muzzy tag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If his back leg is the one that was shot he will porobably be nontypical on the opposite side next year. </div></div>

That sounds interesting. how does that work?

We had 2 tripod ten point bucks on a farm I hunted in Missouri this fall. I assume the legs were shot off the previous year. Both had racks on one side that were smaller than the other side. They both got around fine and were chasing does with the rest of the bucks. They run better than they walk.

Im certainly no expert so maybe I shouldnt even open my mouth.

Like Iowa1 said, unless dogs run him down he will live. He will probably have non-symetrical rack, but I doubt it will grow anything goofy.

First day is probably the most critical with blood loss and such. After that just have to worry about infection. An animal like that will lick it constantly which should keep it clean. After it has healed(infection free) he should live.

I watched a 10point(125inch) all summer with a front broken leg, and he made till last night of gun season and the neighbor shot him. He had very little trouble getting around and he didnt use his leg at all.

Dean

There was a three legged doe in my area back in the early 90's. (hop-a-long)...Her back right leg was gone (about mid thigh for a human). I'm thinking it was a car/truck encounter. For three years in a row she gave birth to twins.

Not sure if the yotes finally got her, old age, a car or what...but we never did.

As long as there isn't any infection, they can live on three legs.

My true opinion for you and your buddy is this...A shotgun is not a very effective weapon at 150 yds. If a buck was something that special it would deserve a better shot opportunity than that one. A little too aggressive if you ask me.

it was a muzzy turtl. thanks for the input guys, i guess hopefully he will find out next year if he cant finish him with bow yet this year.

Top Bottom