Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall planting clover?

loneranger

I have some land cut, going to be sprayed, then plowed and disked for planting clover. Some tell me fall planting is perfect, cooler temps, more moisture, than spring planting. Others tell me there is a chance clover may not develope good roots before winter resulting in winter kill. I thought if I did plant it in Aug/Sept, might include some rye for protection. Also, I think with warm falls we have been having, not much chance plants would not get established before cold. What do you guys/gals, think? Thanks.

Clover will grow very quickly given the right conditions. I think that fall plantings work when things go right but I don't know that they really do any better than frost seeding.

Why are you going to spray first if you are going to plow and disk? Plowing will kill a considerable portion of weeds and grass but stirs up weed seed that has been laying dormant. Get a good strong kill this fall with spray and frost seed or plow, disk, and plant- then spray to control the plot next spring.

Only reason I can think to spray first is to make it easier to disk with an ATV or just disk instead of plowing.

Just my 2 cents.

[ QUOTE ]
Some tell me fall planting is perfect, cooler temps, more moisture, than spring planting. Others tell me there is a chance clover may not develope good roots before winter resulting in winter kill. I thought if I did plant it in Aug/Sept, might include some rye for protection. Also, I think with warm falls we have been having, not much chance plants would not get established before cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Late summer seedings are my first choice for high quality clover and alfalfa seedings. I say that from years of plantings as a dairyman, however as pharmer notes, clover is very easy to frost seed as well. (alfalfa is not...)

My thoughts would be this...if your going to work it up...then prepare a good firm seed bed and plant it. The only seedings that I have seen that didn't do well as far as root dvelopment, were planted in October...way to late IMO.

You will end up with a higher germination rate and a thicker fuller stand, if you till and plant (assuming you use a cultipacker or roller to firm the seedbed before and ater planting)if that is a problem, then frost seed, and let Mother Nature take over.

All of the late summer seedings that I have ever done in my lieftime, have been fantastic and weed control is taken care of by the first frost.

If the area is in brome or fecsue, then spraying with Roundup would be best, otherwise it would be as waste of time and money as noted...work it up...weeds germinate.
Broadleaves are a very different problem then grasses however and Roundup this year is cheaper then Poast next year
smirk.gif

You will not need nor even want a "cover crop" if you plant right away. If you plant in September then a light seeding of rye or wheat could help draw deer but is not needed for the clover seedings sake.

Planting rye this fall and frost seeding into it this winter is a great method especially if you don't have alot of equipment. Rye will help with weed control as well.

No right or wrong way...just options
smile.gif

Top Bottom