Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fall Turkey Results

NebraskaWhitetail

Took a long weekend for my fall turkey hunting trip to central Nebraska. After a day and a half without seeing so much as some fresh sign, I changed locations to another parcel of ground and found a good bunch of birds. Managed to bring home two hens, one mature and the other a young-of-the-year hen. Turned the wingbones of the mature hen into a pair of wingbone yelper calls and the wing feathers will be fletching my arrows.

Anyone else put any fall turkeys in the freezer yet?

Got my first fall bird of the year last week. A nice jake. It was pretty warm out, but I had to get to the woods and hunt some turks. It was actually my first 20 minutes of hunting for turkeys this fall. Still have an unfilled tag, and plan on purchasing my 3rd after I am legally able to (Nov. 1)
Spring or fall, I just can't get enough turkey hunting!

Once pheasant season starts, there will certainly be some conflicts......but those big fall groups of birds are calling my name......

Got my second fall bird for the year....a nice mature hen. Called her into the decoy shortly after fly-down this morning. Kind of feels nice to take out one of those old gals that drag away soooo many spring toms. One tag left to fill.......then its on to deer......with some pheasant hunting in between.

I shot a nice tom the first weekend of the season. 11.5 beard and 1in spurs. I haven't bought another tag yet to busy trying to fill my bow tags.

[ QUOTE ]
Still working on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen many birds from my deer stands this year. I just can't seem to get a clear shot at a bird yet.

Congrats to those of you who have harvested a bird.
waytogo.gif

I took a young hen around the first of October. It was probably the smallest turkey I've ever seen in the fall. I bet she did'nt weigh but about five pounds.
Copy%20of%20IMG_0260.jpg

Good job, Bodeen! Looks like a young-of-the-year hen like one of the ones I took. Mine weighed about eight pounds before field dressing. Small but tasty.

For everybody who takes a hen this fall, don't miss the opportunity to save the wingbones and make wingbone yelper calls. I made my first pair of calls this fall, and now am learning how to use them. Takes some practice, but they are really easy to make. There's lots of instructions on the internet on how to do it.

Good luck to everyone, and bag some more birds!

Filled my 3rd and final tag of the fall this past weekend with a nice, adult hen. Had an awesome past several days calling in groups of birds. Ended up decoying in some groups and closed the deal the next day with a call-in-half-way-then-belly-crawl-for-the-shot. Great hunt, great fall (and great spring as well). Can't get enough of those turks!

Now I can devote the rest of the fall to pheasants and deer.....

Top Bottom