Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Far-fetched?? IW's Believe it or Not..

I have a pretty funny story, me and 3 buddies were going to a spot to Pheasant hunt, on the way there, we saw a hen flying over the road, one of my buddies pulled up his hand pretending to shoot a pistol at it, all of the sudden the bird fell from the sky! We looked at each like "WTF just happened?!" Come to find out, the hen smoked the power line.

2. My first deer was an 8pt, the biggest deer I've actually shot to date. But the story is even better. We we're hunting a place in southern Iowa, the buck just came trotting along about 100 yds away, I have a 20ga 870Mag that I still shoot, but I had that thing loaded with I think 5 shells. I unloaded every shell in the gun, hit the buck once, right below his eye. Must have made him blind in that eye because he started running around in circles, after another 5 shells completely missed him, reloaded again, 3 shots later, hes laying on the ground. It's not a B&C or P&Y trophy, but it was in my eyes. We finished gutting it, started dragging it up the hill, and there was a button buck just staring at us. He's no longer with us either lol.

I don't know about far-fetched, but anyone within sight/earshot of this adventure would have wondered just how "experienced" these three hunters were. Back in 2005, me and 2 buddies got drawn for the February javelina HAM (handgun, archery, muzzleloader) hunt in a particular unit between Bisbee and Tombstone, AZ. One of my buddies was working for AZGFD at the time and contacted the local Wildlife Manager for info. The WM is a cool guy and sent us maps of where he'd just flown his surveys and marked where the herds were. We had a plan on motion to leave Thursday nite, one buddy driving from Phoenix to pick me up in Tucson and camp out to start hunting Friday morning. The other buddy was driving down Friday afternoon after he got done with work. Well, 2005 was one of our wettest winters at that time. I called my buddy (L.B.) on the road and stop at the house, we're not driving into a fairly remote area we've never been to in the rainy dark. We got up Friday morning and drove down in the rain found a flat spot on State Trust Land (important note for later) and set up camp. I was hunting with my bow, carrying my 1911 as a backup. L.B.'s plan was to use his Ruger Single 6 with the .22 mag cylinder (minimum caliber). We got our stuff ready and he realized he'd switched cylinders at home back to his .22LR thinking that was the cylinder actually in the frame and unkowingly stashed his .22 mag cylinder in a drawer so he wouldn't confuse it for the wrong one (bad omen #1). Luckily, he had his Sig in .40SW since we were close to the US/Mexico border and there are known issues there so that was his back up plan. We drove a bit looking for a spot to start our hunt from, but the rain never really let up so we went back to camp to wait for Rob to show up from Phoenix. We decided to rig some tarps to get out of the rain, eat some lunch, and make some coffee/hot chocolate to warm up. State trust land is heavily grazed down here and poorly regulated, so the best we could do was rig 2 tarps to a few scattered 4-5 foot tall mesquites and heavily grazed yuccas. After a couple of hours of sitting under the tarp trying to warm up (failing miserably) and having to poke our fingers into the tarps to drain 2 inches of water, we decided to head back to my house in Tucson and try again the next day. I called Rob to let him know the plan and he eventually met us at the house.

We got up early that Saturday and drove down, stopping in Tombstone at the Top of the Hill restaurant for a good warm breakfast (highly recommended) and lit out from there, heading to the best parking we could find closest to the star on the map denoting a herd. The weather was beautiful and, surprisingly, within 200 yards of the trucks, we came upon a herd of javelina feeding up canyon and we were walking into a strong down canyon wind associated with the passing front. We formulated a plan that involved me shooting first, being quiet with my bow, followed by Rob and L.B. using their pistols (Rob was borrowing my S&W Model 19 in .357 since he didn't own a handgun at the time; nor a bow; bad omen #2). We began our stalk and Rob talked me into putting my bow down because the mesquite/acacia thornscrub was too thick (bad omen #3). I headed straight up the draw bottom towards the herd with Rob and L.B. hanging on the ridge above me to catch them when the busted from me shooting. I eventually got to within 25 yards of a feeding javelina, perfectly broadside. Those creatures have poor eyesight but excellent noses. I froze when he looked my direction and when he went back to feeding, I took 2 more steps and aimed carefully. When I pulled the trigger on my 1911 (aiming through a clear shooting lane that my bow would have been perfect for), I was greeted with a very loud "click". Its amazing how many cuss words you can say to yourself that quickly. I hoped it was a jammed round and not what I was really thinking. I eased the slide back on an empty chamber, realizing I'd forgotten to reload it after I cleaned it 2 or 3 days earlier in preparation for the hunt (bouncing around the border, I was NEVER without a round in the chamber...until that day; I just assumed my 1911 was ready to go as usual). I could hear all the choice words my dad had for me from Heaven, knowing he was justified. I quickly, and rather angrily, jacked a round in the chamber and that sent the all ready spooked javelina running, which busted the entire herd. I took off after them, quickly realizing that Rob and L.B. were somewhere above me with pistols ready to go so I quickly backed out and retraced my path back. I heard 3 shots from their direction and took comfort that they were able to clean up my mess.

We tied back in together and I asked where the javelina were. There were none, all misses. Rob explained that when the herd busted, a javelina ran 10 feet from him catching him completely by surprise. He figured there was no way that would happen again, so when the next 1 ran 10 yards away in the clearing, he was dumbfounded. He REALLY never expected another one but thought he should maybe get ready, so when javelina #3 ran by 15 yards from him, he fired twice, missing both shots. I asked what the 3rd shot was. It was a desperation shot by L.B. (using his Sig) at a javelina running directly away from them at 60 yards. That was the day we invented catch and release hunting. Later, I told one of my dad's Army buddies (like a dad to me now) the story and he hung his head shook it at me like I deserved. It was pure Keystone Cops out there that day.

Last edited:
I think I have got the best story ever..back in my first year of deer hunting, in 1998...My dad shot 2 bucks with one shot, well as awesome as that was, of course there went my tag...loaded them up in the back of the truck, hauled them 5 miles to hang them up...all of the 20+ guys were standing around when we pulled in and surrounded the truck...my dad pulls the first one out of the truck, and goes to grab the second one. Well when the first one hit the ground, he woke up, stood up, and ran out of the yard..he slid up against the truck and left a big blood streak, and ran straight to the woods. Now, 20+ guys standing around, and no one moves...we all just bust out laughing...the other deer was dead, and that was the one with my tag...luckily, we did get that deer shortly into the woods, and my dad got his tag back...haha

I'm gonna start "Double Tapping" my deer from here on out.. :way:

i had an experience a couple years back hunting the oaks here in Wis. I was back in the hardwood about a mile from anything just enjoying the afternoon hunt..I started to notice that there were acorns dropping around the tree that i was sitting in and i thought that was pretty cool. about a half hour went by and i noticed that the bluejays were cutting them off in the trees right next to my stand... i just happend to look up at the precise time one of the suckers cut one off and it hit me right on my left cheekbone about a inch below my eye socket...it happened so fast that i actually saw the stinking thing bounce about six feet in the air off of my face...if it hadnt hurt so bad i would have wet myself laughing at how that would have looked to someone watching...it also taught me to never look up when the jays are cutting acorns off around you. i had a visual about what could have happened if that acorn would have hit a inch higher...prob would have blinded me

A guy i work with went to his parents place to turkey hunt this past spring. When the weekend was over he was chatting with his mom while packing his car. They noticed a large doe in the yard...when said doe realized they were watching she freaked out and ran away...towards the road, where a dump truck happen to coming by.

They heard the impact and went to investigate. When they got there all they saw was a fetus in the middle of the road.

What sucks is the only pics he had of it were on his cell phone and he doesn't have them anymore. Swear to god, I saw the pic...otherwise this is a story too far fetched to believe:way:

My favorite hunting story: It was a cold and snowy december day when our group of guys got together for shotgun deer hunting. We went to the first spot and I went to post at a corner post in a fencline. I sat for a couple of minutes when all of the sudden, the biscuits and gravy decided not to agree with me! Having no choice, I proceed to dump in a snow bank right there. Having no TP, my only option was sacrificing one of my brown jersey gloves to wipe with.

I wasn't able to hunt the rest of the week, but several guys in our group went out. When they hunted that particular spot, another guy went to sit where I had been. I saw him the following weekend and he said, "Hey did you lose a glove when you sat by the corner post? I have it in my truck if you want it!"

I told him why it was left there and that no, I did not want it back! He had carried it around in his truck all week!

Best story I have was shotgun hunting about 5 years ago. We were set up sitting when we heard WWIII break out a mile over. We were getting ready to call it a day and I was on my way to pick up my dad and uncle. They were sitting in terraces on our property expecting the neighbors to get the deer in the open. I picked up my uncle when we saw deer heading into the field passed my dad. The buck in the group, a old 13 point, was limping pretty bad and my dad assumed he was hit. My dad took a shot broadside and missed, and the deer started running away. My dad fired twice more assuming the deer was wounded the deer crossed a rolling hill and my dad stopped shooting. He went to the place where the deer was and there was no blood at all so he started walking to the road. Me and my uncle saw the deer drop just over the hill and wondered why my dad stopped tracking him. When we picked him up my uncle asked him why he didn't go get the dead deer. My dad thought he was giving him a hard time and got defensive. My uncle then told him that the deer was died just over the hill. My dad shrugged it off and thought it was just some ribbin'. He told my uncle there was no blood at all, and the deer wasn't wounded. I proceeded to sit there in amusement as my dad and uncle almost got into a fist fight over this deer, until we decided to drive out in the field and my uncle would "show him the deer." We pulled up and the deer was deaded than a doornail. My dad sat in amazement. We looked in the snow and there was absolutely no blood. None at all. We started rolling the deer over looking for an entry or exit wound. None were found. So we proceeded to field dressing, there was alot of internal injury, but no hole could be found. Then my dad lifted up the tail to make the cut around the deer's "exit hole" and you could see a little bit of damage. The bullet ended up entering the deer in the corn hole and we found the 20 gauge slug lodged in the deer's heart. It was the craziest thing I have ever seen. Dad still has that old Remington Slugger on the kitchen window sill to remind him of that day. We get quite a few laughs out of that story every year.

My favorite hunting story: It was a cold and snowy december day when our group of guys got together for shotgun deer hunting. We went to the first spot and I went to post at a corner post in a fencline. I sat for a couple of minutes when all of the sudden, the biscuits and gravy decided not to agree with me! Having no choice, I proceed to dump in a snow bank right there. Having no TP, my only option was sacrificing one of my brown jersey gloves to wipe with.

I wasn't able to hunt the rest of the week, but several guys in our group went out. When they hunted that particular spot, another guy went to sit where I had been. I saw him the following weekend and he said, "Hey did you lose a glove when you sat by the corner post? I have it in my truck if you want it!"

I told him why it was left there and that no, I did not want it back! He had carried it around in his truck all week!

Now that is absolutley hilarious!:D

I missed about 20 Rooster Pheasants before finally getting my 1st one. I got so nervous and pumped when they went up I always scrambled and popped shots off as fast I as I could. I was maybe 13? SO, with the family, I'm using a semi-auto with full choke & walking a ditch, bird flies up right by my feet and I got my gun up and ready SO FAST the bird was maybe 6-10' away at the most. I shoot the thing SO CLOSE that the bird shot didn't expand and CUT his head right off... It didn't BLOW IT OFF, it CUT IT OFF, RIGHT BELOW THE RING OF THE PHEASANT. The thing sat in the corn field and bounced like a basketball. I picked up the bird and picked up a perfectly cut off head as proof to my buddies- I brought the head into class the next day- I was probably in about 7th grade. I was proud but dang was that funny.
*Believe it or not..... I did this ONE other time about 2 years later. I pissed everyone off I ever hunted with cause I was so fast on the shot. A third one I had shot at out a little further where the shot was able to expand a LITTLE more and I exploded a whole bird, nothing but a bunch of mush & feathers and immediately just dumped the mess that looked like it got hit with an airplane propeller.

DEER: - Heck, might as well add a quick deer story, little different BUT.... I started hunting by just walking around trying to find a deer. No one taught me anything & it showed, I was an idiot! After my 1st year of hunting almost every day, I was able to get within 80 yards of a group of does that ran out of the timber from me, I pointed my bow about 10-15' above the group and released at maybe a 100 yard shot?? I probably missed the whole group of deer by oh, 20, 30 feet???? I got home and called all my buddies and said "You'll never believe this, I almost got one today!!!!!" :)

Last edited:
I have a few.

The first was I hunting pheasant in NW Iowa with a couple of roomates. The first bird got up and I shot him before the other guys even knew there was a bird there. The great thing was I shot his head clean off and it landed on the one side of the creek and his bodied landed on the other side. Those guys still talk about that day.

Another time I was duck hunting. I was standing belly button deep in water with my 870, robo decoys, and a bag in my left arm and I had my buddies Super X2 in my right arm. A flock of ducks flew over up there quite a ways and my buddy yells shoot. I shot his X2 one handed and brought down the first 3 lead ducks. Everyone including myself couldn't believe it.

One time on a deer drive I was a stander. I was sitting on a hay bale when a doe ran out, saw me then took off straight away. I carefully aimed at her and shot right when she was jumping a fence. The deer cart wheeled over the fence. I thought awesome!~! I was only 12 or so at the time. When I walked up to her my dad and I were talking and she started to catch her feet and stand back up. I shot her again. After further inspection I just grazed her head from teh first shot and put a crease right down the center of it knocking her out. the slug barely even broke the skin. That was kind of crazy.

One night when I was about eleven I shot 15 times at one deer feeding out in a field and didn't even touch her. She didn't even hardly move after each shot. I ended up running out of shells.

One year late muzzleloader when it was -30 out I had a big buck come out at 30 yards. I put the gun on him and HANG FIRE hitting him in the back leg. The buck ran out into the middle of the field about 150 yards away. I only had one little hole to shoot through. I shot two more times missing him then on the 4th shot I hit him right in the neck and killed him.

I could go all night with weird stories LOL.

this is absolutely the winner..i cant stop laughing at this one

I believe DOR had a good one once about some new gloves he used as back up down a fence line and a guy and wife came and picked them up, smelled them, dropped them, then picked them back up and kept them. Was that you DOR? maybe it was someone else but I remember dying laughing.

My story isn't really funny, but interesting. Last winter I was shed hunting and was coming up to the road in a thin strip of crp a long ways away from any timber and was ready to just be done. I'm about 40 yards from the road and there is a car coming from the right and all of a sudden a doe jumps up out of the crp and starts off at the road. I could just tell the car and deer werer going to meet at the same time and could just see it coming. I stood and watched and was just like, "uh-oh uh-oh, oh $h1t," and bam, the deer ran right into the side of the car! It was a new Toyota Highlander by the way. Perfect smack caused by me shed hunting. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty neat to watch, but I felt bad at the same time. The car just kept on going and didn't even stop.

Also, AirAssualt, that is the most B.A. avator I have ever seen!!!

Just thought of one I had forgotten about. Quite a few years ago, my broither, a good friend and I were doing a little pheasant hunting and stumbled upon a dead, mostly intact basket rack 8 point. Being the same as most of you we couldn't just leave that rack there but we didn't have a knife with us to cut the head off. So we found out that about 15 or so close range shots of 12gauge 6 shot will take a deers head off! No we didn't get a salvage tag as we should have, but I still get a chuckle thinking back on my buddy and I blowing away at this dead deers neck trying to get the head off. Kinda gross, but it worked.

My story isn't really funny, but interesting. Last winter I was shed hunting and was coming up to the road in a thin strip of crp a long ways away from any timber and was ready to just be done. I'm about 40 yards from the road and there is a car coming from the right and all of a sudden a doe jumps up out of the crp and starts off at the road. I could just tell the car and deer werer going to meet at the same time and could just see it coming. I stood and watched and was just like, "uh-oh uh-oh, oh $h1t," and bam, the deer ran right into the side of the car! It was a new Toyota Highlander by the way. Perfect smack caused by me shed hunting. I'm not going to lie, it was pretty neat to watch, but I felt bad at the same time. The car just kept on going and didn't even stop.

Also, AirAssualt, that is the most B.A. avator I have ever seen!!!

I made the avatar pic like 3 years ago when I was bored out of my mind in egypt.. I always planned on getting it as a tattoo or something but finally just decided to make it my avatar... just copied and pasted the IW logo onto the hawk symbol and cleaned up the edges with microsft paint ;)

This one reminded me of another wild scene I witnessed. I live in the Iowa City area and used to drive back and forth to Cedar Rapids every day for work. I was heading to work one morning in the northbound lanes of I-380 and had just crossed the Coralville Res when I saw a doe coming out of the timber that lays just west and uphill of the two southbound lanes, just about 200 yards north the bridge over the Res. Mama deer was sprinting downhill towards the traffic for all she was worth and it didn't look like she was going to stop! :eek:

The traffic was pretty thick and I knew that thing was going to get demolished when it ran up on the freeway, but here she came anyway. A semi, whose driver I am sure never saw her coming, hit her at warp speed and it literally looked like a beach ball got kicked into the air! That doe was shot up 25+ feet in the air and the back legs were paralyzed by the initial impact with the semi, but the front legs were going 100 mph in the air.

BAMMM! Down it came on the hood of the car that was driving right along side the semi. It then flopped into the center ditch and appeared to be dead. It was a wild sight and it all happened in less than 10 seconds, but the thing that struck me is that the poor lady driving the car that was the second hit could NEVER have seen it coming until it literally landed on her hood. (Talk about crapping your pants! :D I am sure that lady put that rooster I spoke of earlier to shame! :D)

I kept envisioning her trying to tell her husband that, "Seriously, I never saw it coming, it fell out of the sky, right on the hood...", and him saying, "Yeah, riiiiight.". Only she was telling him the truth. :D

Keep the stories coming guys, these are all good and truth is stranger than fiction.

Top Bottom