Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Farm Bureau

"Slimy way it was spoon-fed to the public?" This was as open to public scrutiny as you could get. Two years to get thru the legislative process, all above board and nearly a unanimous vote to put it on the ballot. 130 statewide and local organizations in favor of it. For once our tax money would be ear-marked for everything outdoors and environmentally important. I see a lot of tax money spent in ways and for things I disagree with. This isn't one of them. I'm voting yes.

It's a win win for me Turkeyriver. If it don't pass we escape another tax and spend bureaucratic money pit, and if it passes, it will never flood again, land erosion will be no more, clean water to drink(this one has me concerned), I won't have to look at empty nightcrawler containers when I fish the river, public hunting just around the corner and more bike trails for my family to ride while I'm hunting the public ground. I think maybe our Legacy should be to leave our kids out of debt and our country in a financially stable condition.

I didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday, it was last week. And as such I still have some faith in my lawmakers. I know in this era of bashing our elected officials, sometimes rightfully so and sometimes not, we lose sight of the fact that we can change who sits in the seat.

Having said that, I realize that through political chicanery the money constitutionally guaranteed for Iowa’s Water and Land Legacy could be moved to other areas. THIS WILL NOT BE DONE IN A VACUUM. Any time appropriations are changed they have to go though a vote in the legislature. That means the person from your district is gonna vote. That means you can inform your representative of how you want to be represented.

I also wonder what group is gonna try to change the way the monies from this constitutionally guaranteed fund, approved by the popular vote of the people, could be spent. They would be disserving the will of the people.

In regards to voting for and spending an as of yet nonexistent revenue stream, aren’t the state’s budgets based of next year’s tax incomes estimates? isn’t that why we have such a problem because projected tax revenues were down?

Again, call me naive, but why would the DNR spend money before they know it is in their budget? If it passes next week the DNR will not start another Honey Creek boondoggle with yet to be realized budgetary funds.

The legislature can cut the DNR’s budget tomorrow, well if they were in session they could, and then what would the DNR fall back on to keep the level of service to the people? In the future they may cut the budget but the department will always have the Fund to fall back on.

The voters in 2010 should guarantee a future revenue stream to help protect the only thing God isn’t making any more of, Iowa soil.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom