Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite smoker recipes

190 ? I usually only do my pork loins to 150 , am I under cooking it ? Always seems plenty done . Just a novice as well . I like smoking chicken breasts with calendars Greek seasoning on it. Get it to that 150 range and call it good.

Wondering if the difference between your temps is the cut of meat. I usually do loin to the 150-160 mark, for slicing. Pork butt (shoulder roast) to make pulled pork, I'd do the 190-200 mark.

I just did probably the best brisket I have ever done a few weeks ago. Dry brined with salt (supposed to use kosher, I used sea salt). Dry brine is basically sprinkle the meat with salt, cover, and let sit in fridge for a few hours to overnight (I did overnight). Then took out, put a rub on it (homemade this time, but whatever you like -- just watch the salt content as you already salted the meat -- the homemade I used didn't have any salt). Smoked at around 200-225 for 6.5-7 hours total (was using a 3 lb chunk of the flat). Wrapped it in foil when it hit around 155 (didn't have time for the stall). Took it off at 210 degrees (was at like 199, so thought I'd wait about 15-20 minutes for it to hit 205, came back and it was at 210). Stuck it in a cooler lined with towels for about an hour (usually like to go 2-3 hours in the cooler, but it was lunch time).

Another tasty treat is philly chicken roll ups. Butterfly chicken breasts (could use turkey), pound out to about 1/4" thick. Season with rub of your choice (I did Cookie's Flavor Enhancer). Slice up green/red bell pepper (use poblano for some heat -- recommend charring and then peeling skin off) and onions (add mushrooms if you like). Place a slice of provolone cheese on the chicken, then peppers/onions/mushrooms. Roll jelly roll style (bacon lovers could wrap in bacon at this point) and pin with toothpicks or tie with kitchen string. Smoke at 200-225 until juices run clear (don't remember how long, but thinking a couple of hours for average chicken breasts). Really, any filling you like could be good.

Also did these a while back:
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49589&highlight=deer+balls

And these:
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54433&highlight=smoked+pheasant

And these:
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53783&highlight=smoked+salmon

Now I'm thinking about smoking again this weekend. Hard habit to quit! Gonna have to try some of the other ideas above sometime.

Last edited:
I do a lot of sausage on the smoker. Summer sausage with venison (cheddar and jalepeno is good stuff). Make andouille, brats, and sticks. I've done chickens too. Two of my favorites are bacon and pork butts. Bacon turns out awesome and is easy to do.
Butts are super easy and turned out really good. Mine go for roughly 11-14 hours at 230 degrees until they hit 205. I pull them and rest for an hour. Last time I put a foil pan under it and caught the juices that dripped off. PUt that into the fridge overnight. Once the fat rises and hardens, you can scrape it off and put the "pig jelly" back into the pulled pork. Adds a ton of wonderful flavor. We serve on rolls with some Alabama white sauce. Yum!
Andouille with Venison
IMG_0017_zpsrulvu4t2.jpg

Bacon
IMG_0644_zps1lau86yj.jpg

IMG_1740%202_zpso4u3j9rd.jpg

Last edited:
I do a lot of sausage on the smoker. Summer sausage with venison (cheddar and jalepeno is good stuff). Make andouille, brats, and sticks. I've done chickens too. Two of my favorites are bacon and pork butts. Bacon turns out awesome and is easy to do.
Butts are super easy and turned out really good. Mine go for roughly 11-14 hours at 230 degrees until they hit 205. I pull them and rest for an hour. Last time I put a foil pan under it and caught the juices that dripped off. PUt that into the fridge overnight. Once the fat rises and hardens, you can scrape it off and put the "pig jelly" back into the pulled pork. Adds a ton of wonderful flavor. We serve on rolls with some Alabama white sauce. Yum!
Andouille with Venison
IMG_0017_zpsrulvu4t2.jpg

Bacon
IMG_0644_zps1lau86yj.jpg

IMG_1740%202_zpso4u3j9rd.jpg

Looks great!

What smoker do you use CYBBALL?

Top Bottom