Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Favorite way to cook venison?

Old Buck

Life Member
I've just finished boning two does my son and I took this weekend.

We had the tenderloins one of my favorite ways...saute diced onion in olive oil, push to the side, then quickly fry 1/4" slices of venison tenderloin which has been marinated in soy sauce. Cook hot and fast. Eat immediately.

The question is, what is your favorite way to prepare venison? After 30+ years of eating whitetail I'd like to try some new ideas.

3-5 lb venison roast
Two cans cheddar cheese soup
One packet lipton onion soup

combine the above in a crock pot before work. When you get home, cook up a large batch of fettucini nooldes and stir 1/2 pint sour cream into the crock pot. Serve over noodles.

I may be a little boring, but I like the tenderloins grilled with a small amount of steak sause and some of the rest of the deer meat we grind 1/2 and 1/2 with a good grade of beef; makes for some really lean hamburger. AL

Old Buck, I'll have to give your's a try. It sounds good.
tongue.gif
I like to cut the backstraps about 1/2 inch thick. Dredge in flour, salt and pepper and cook fast in vegetable oil. After I turn them I give it some BAM!!! Emerils original spice. It kicks them up a notch.
flaming.gif

I would also like to know if any of you guys have had any luck with any of the Venison recipe books? I was thinking of getting jim Zumbo's " Amazing Venison Recipes." Let me know what you guys think.
SD Buck

Venison stroganoff! Just find a good beef straganoff recipe and replace the beef with venison. Awesome by far my favorite.

Then my second favorite is just to marinate in Hy-vee italian dressing (I use Hy-Vee because it doesn't seperate like all other dressings) and grill. mmmmm good.

As far as the Jim Zumbo cook book, I do know he likes to use a lot of ketchup, tomatoes, and tomatoe type juices in his recipes. Not really my forte, but I know people that love that type of cooking.

Good topic Old Buck!

Pupster

fill a jar with cubed meat, place in a pressure cooker, cook on 15 pounds for the correct amount of time for your jar size, let it seal. the absolute best, you can take the meat out and use it in anything or just eat it right out of the jar!

other than that i'm a simple guy, medium rare off the grill with some seasoning or else inject some steak sauce into the center of it before grilling. yum.

Any part of the deer, prefer loins or roast. Just cube the meat. Lay out a strip of bacon with lawrys, garlic salt, and mrs. dash onion flavor. put meat cube on bacon strip roll up and but on shis ka bob. grill and eat whole, a little bit of work, but the best way to ever eat any deer!!

Another way take 2 cans of mushroom soup some roast or loin again, one onion, and six red potatoes cook in crock pot all day. Add salt and pepper and your done.

Here's my favorite . . . Some of our members that made it to last years Rendezvous tried this recipe.

5lb roast with a dry rub (Canadian Steak Seasoning is my favorite)

Cook on the grill over indirect heat & cover. (place meat off to the side of the flames.)

Also place some water in a heat resistant container in the grill.

Cook until internal temp of roast is 135 degrees.

My mouth is watering just reading all these ideas. I've still got a couple of chunks of loin in the frig and will try something new.

Deer stir fry! Replace whatever meat you normally use with venison & eat. My wife goes nuts for this stuff. Personally, I can never make a big enough batch of the stuff because any leftovers are gone the very next meal! Maggs.

Yours sounds good old buck. Here's one of my family's favorites:

Take a 3-5 pound roast and put it in a crock pot with about 1 1/2 cups of water and two or three beef buillion cubes. Add some onion and a sprinkle of garlic, then a good dose of Lawrys seasoned salt on top of the roast. Cook until it flakes off the bones, then mash us some potatoes and make gravy out of the crock pot juice. Put the gravy on both the taters and the roast. You cannot believe how fast the plates get cleaned up at my house.

I LG venison roast-no fat or silver skin
6 potatoes peeled
1LB carrots peeled
1LG onion quartered
1 can mushrooms
1 can beef broth 15oz
1 can water
salt & pepper
Cook in crock pot on low all day!

This is a great marinade for deer loin,dove,quail,pheasant,duck, goose and hell pretty much anything.

1/2 cup veggie oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 tablespoon pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder {not salt}
1 teaspoon salt

marinate overnight. cook on grill. do not overcook. I've also been known to experiment with winsor canadian, tabasco sauce, and chili powder to spice it up a bit. guarentead satisfaction!

Top Bottom