Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fellow Sportsman

OneCam

If you are not a resident of Iowa and you visit this site regularly you probably posses the following traits:

#1 - You are in the upper echelon of whitetail hunters - your obsession with whitetails, mature bucks, conservation and ethics have steered you here.

#2 - You are probably thick skinned, so to speak, as this site at times is a hot bed for Iowa non-resident hunting regulations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1, our passion for the hunting whitetails, brings us all together no matter the state or country we are from. Yet controversy of Iowa non-resident hunting regulations all to often alienates members not residing in Iowa.

Iowa by comparison to it's neighboring states concerning non-resident hunting regulations and resident hunters territorialism is not construed as friendly. I'll be the first to admit this and apologize for alienating anyone - especially on this site. Yet these very same rules, expressions etc are the reason that Iowa has world-class whitetail hunting and available land access.

Non-resident Iowa tag allocation doesn't meet its demand and many great people are turned away each year. It's hard to explain or justify to a landowner that he can't hunt his own land. It' hard to tell a father that his son can't come home and hunt with the family every year. It's just plain hard to tell a fellow sportsman "NO". Yet these regulations and tag allocations are the core reasons that we still have readily available land access compared to other states. It's these regulations and tag allocations that still make it affordable to purchase land within Iowa's boundaries. It's these regulations and tag allocations that provide us with world-class whitetail hunting and this is why they are so sacred to the majority of Iowa hunters.

We discuss Iowa hunting issues here and because of so much controversy concerning our tag allocations etc at this time of the year the term "non-residents" is thrown around loosely. I myself am guilty of this as I created the "Temptation Tag" which understandably doesn't sit well with some. For this I'm sorry as my goal was not to offend (ie open mouth insert foot) but to help reform the current regulations - sorry to all for that statement. I guess my point overall is that it is tough to discuss these issues without making people feel alienated, however the Iowawhitetail staff will do it's best at making everyone feel at home.

You are a fellow Sportsman and deserve that respect. Stay thick skinned and I'll leave you with our Mission statement.

Iowawhitetail.com - Iowa's information resource for whitetail deer

At Iowawhitetail.com, it is our mission to promote, protect and maintain the integrity of hunting, provide timely and accurate information for hunters and outdoor enthusiasts everywhere while creating an environment that is friendly and educational for all members of our outdoor community.

OneCam, As a NR landowner, I strongly disagree with many posts on here. On the core issue, I agree that too many tags could jepordize the very reason we come to Iowa. Even though we often disagree, I RESPECT all the opinions offered up in a civil manner. I will suffice it to say a sincere THANK YOU for this eloquent post.

Thanks - sometimes the realization of quality hunting in Iowa 10 or 20 years from now will require you to own or lease land is a hard pill to swallow for most residents.

I want to catch up on the legislative proposal. Is it on the DNR site? I want to catch up on ideas that have been presented.
I have enough ground to hunt through friends and family that I wouldn't have to hunt the same ground twice all season. I am very lucky and appreciate it.
It wasnt always this way. I am a native Iowan, born in Marshall County. I remember we had few deer, no geese or turkey, or many coyote, lots of pheasant and a fair amount of quail.
Hunting has always been a family thing and I grew up with it.
During the late sixties and early seventies bad hunting practices by a few and the ability to take a landowner to court for hunting related issues caused Iowans to become very cautious about who was allowed on their land. Many just plain stopped all access to their land.
During the late seventies and through the eighties I didnt bother with hunting. It was tough to find someone, regardless if they knew you that would grant hunting access.
Luckily things have changed. The conservation practices and game management in Iowa for the last 30-40 years are producing good hunting. I have friends and neighbors that have requested that I help reduce their local deer population. Easier said than done. But a good deal all the same.
Am I in a small percentage of hunters with good access?

Great Mission Statement! Being a non-resident I'm not bothered or insulted by anything posted on this site relating to this subject. I can empathize with the locals but we are all sportsman with the same passion & we must stick together as sportsman to protect the future of this great passion of ours.

I have never hunted Iowa & probably never will. I was drawn to this site by my obsession to whitetail deer & visit it every day. I do hunt Illinois & am working on trying out Ohio. The only way for me, living in Pa., to fullfill that obsessive passion to hunt mature trophy whitetail buck, is to hunt where they are. I'm envious of anyone who was fortunate enough to be born & raised in the mid-west where the big boys thrive. Hopefully those who dis-like non-resident hunters use a little empathy also & we stand united for protecting our passion.

Top Bottom