Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Fertilizer ???

shrek1

PMA Member
I just got the O.K. from a landowner to put in a couple acres of food plots. So heres the ?? I doubt I have time to get a soil sample back in time to see whats reccommended so what would be a good all purpose fertilezer for corn and beans. Part of it was beans last year that were completely destroyed and the ground is fairly sandy. Would a 13-13-13 be good or should I go higher in Nitrogen?

I put in 800lbs of 0 20 20 this morning on my clover plot.
or you could go with more pounds of a 19 19 19.

that should work.

doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">19 19 19. </div></div>

Corn requires 100-150#'s of nitrogen per acre, it's one of those things where more is better. Corn like any grass needs nitrogen to thrive and produce well.

I would typically put 500#'s per acre of triple 19 on my corn ground and make sure to till it under after applying it. Urea will denitrify and vaporize quickly if left on a warm soil surface without at least a 1/2" of rain to push it into the soil.

Read the thread on RR corn and soybeans for more detailed information on this subject. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Where do you find that low Nitrogen fert? The couple of elevators I have asked seem not to know. Do they have to special order it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: loneranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do you find that low Nitrogen fert? The couple of elevators I have asked seem not to know. Do they have to special order it? </div></div>

Most mix bulk fertlizer and can put together any imaginable combination, but bagged fertlizer might be another story.

Usually 6-24-24 is available but I haven't bought bagged fertilizer in years. Just have to keep checking around I suppose

Most co-ops or elevators will have DAP (18-46-00) or MAP (11-52-00). You may have better luck finding a bagged mix at a place like Orchlens (sp?) or a tractor supply company type of store. Alot of local feed stores carry bagged fertilizer for lawns, just make SURE it doesn't have anything in it like crab grass preventive or anything like that.

Top Bottom