Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field Dressing Gloves

NebraskaWhitetail

I like to wear some sort of gloves while field dressing deer to make clean up easier and to prevent any chance of a blood-related infection. In previous years I have used surgical latex gloves, and while they worked OK, they weren't quite long enough at the wrist as I would have liked and they were easy to puncture. This year I thought I'd try something different, so I picked up a couple pairs of those yellow rubberized gloves that they sell for washing dishes. They extend past your wrist the right length and they are made of a little tougher material. I used a pair this year when dressing out my archery buck and they worked great. The textured palms made it really easy to hang onto the knife. When I was done I took them home, washed them inside and out with soap, and they are ready to go for the next time.

Just wanted to share the tip with everyone here. Cheap, easy, and reusuable solution to the problem.

I second the yellow dish washing gloves. They clean up and are reusable. HINT: Put some baby powder in them and they slide on much easier. I mainly like them for gutting when its cold. Keep your hands a lot warmer. I would get done and then use snow to clean off my hands and just freeze. Now I use them and take them off and stay much warmer. Good tip!!!

I like the Hunters Specialty (Guttin Gloves) they go up to your shoulder with built in elastic to hold them in place. about $2 a pair.

I'll second the shoulder length Hunter's Specialties gloves. There are two pairs of gloves, one pair is a shoulder length plastic glove and the other is a tighter fitting latex glove that covers the hands. Also, when you are finished you can just roll them down your arms over themselves and your bare hands never have to contact the blood, etc. This beats having bloody hands and looking like an axe murderer when you stop at the convenience store on the way home too.
grin.gif

i bet shredder can get some of the LOOOONG gloves, for going up cow's butts, maybe he will send you some and you can wash, and re-use them

grin.gif

If it's really cold out (like it was first shotgun), I wear a pair of thin polypro liner gloves under a pair of the purple nitrile gloves. The nitrile is tough and the liner gloves keep your hands warm enough that you can keep a good grip on the deer and your knife.

Top Bottom