Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Field Judging Whitetail

blake

Life Member
Field Judging Whitetail

Estimating antler size in the field is done by comparing the features of the antlers against other features of known dimensions on a mature deer. Here are some general rules that I go by:

The ears of a mature buck are generally 6 to 8 inches long

The spread between the tips of the ears is, 16 to 18 inches.

The nose-to-eye distance on most mature bucks is 7 to 8 inches

The circumference of the eye is about 4 inches.

The best training for field-judging antlers is to study photographs and, more important, mounted heads of known score,

I like to practice by studying mounted heads from different angles, estimating the antler measurements by comparing them to their features.

I also offer to boil out every deer rack that I can get my hands on from hunting friend’s and hunting parties.

After I have the racks boiled out my buddy Jesse and I put the tape to them. We find this helps us a great deal when field judging bucks on the hoof. We then photograph the racks and writer the score on the back of the photo. The score is then written on the under side of the skull cap for reference for the rack owner. This system seems to be well received by those kind enough to allow use to measure they racks.

Another method that I have found helpful is measuring shed antlers.
Memorize how a 22-inch-wide rack looks from the front compared to an 18-inch rack.

Notice how a long main beam reaches back, swings wide, and then curls forward toward the deer's nose while a shorter beam usually remains straight at the tips.
If you find a set of antlers that curls in at the tips, measure them for beam length, you'll be surprised to discover these curved antlers are much longer than they appear.

Another method that I like is to go the Iowa Deer Classic & the Nebraska Big Buck Expo. I look at the racks hanging in the booths there for display and try very hard not to look at the posted score by them until I have guessed what I think they will score.

You will be surprised at how effective the above mentioned methods will help you to become better at field judging deer on the hoof.

Give it try, and good luck!

Top Bottom