Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Filled my anterless only bow tag for Johnson Co.

bugs11

Took a nice healthy doe last Friday AM, meat for the freezer. Here’s the story; just so you know, maybe 30 seconds passed from the time I saw her to the time I shot. Testament to the adage always be ready (which I almost wasn’t).

Was in the stand nice and early, didn’t see anything but squirrels and a family of coons den up for the day. About 7:40 I decide to pop one of the many squirrels running around below me, so I put away the Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade, and nock the single Zwikey judo point I have in my quiver just for such an occasion. I’m getting ready to draw on a big red squirrel when I hear something running through the timber behind me. A glance over my shoulder confirmed a doe heading my way at a slow trot. I quick put away the judo point, nock the Muzzy, she’s below me, quickly draw, give a low whistle, she stops right in front of me at about 8 yards, quartering away at the perfect angle, pick a spot, bend slightly at the waist, smooth release and follow through. She jumps and runs off about 30-40 yards and stops, tail twitching and mouth open. I see my arrow sticking in the ground covered with blood. I get the binoculars on her; she’s dripping blood from her chest. Five minutes later she’s lays down, five minutes after that she’s dead. Before she died 2 bucks, a fork horn and an 8 with a banged up rack (all the tines on the left side are missing), came in and hung around her, the bigger one bedded down next to her after she died. The bucks ended up going to sleep like a pair of dogs in front of the fireplace. After an hour, I needed to get going so I pack up, lower my bow, climb down and the bucks never woke up. The smaller one was sleeping about 15 yards from me. So I ran at them jumping up and down yelling “ boogety-boogety-boogety” while waving my arms, I figure if I got to spook them I want them to not know it was a man (maybe they’ll think I was Saquatch). I go to the truck get my cart and when I get back to the doe, the bigger buck has come back, I had to run him off again.

When I got home I cleaned up the Muzzy tipped Axis arrow and it is pristine, like it never flew threw the chest cavity of the doe. I took a permanent marker and put a 1 on the cock fletch, ready for the next hunt.

Bugs

Top Bottom