Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finally

Fishbonker

Life Member
The deer are finally hitting my turnips. Too bad they waitied till there was almost 18 inches of hard snow to dig through.

Snow_shoes_003.jpg

They are still chewin on the stumps of what I think were marrow stem kale. I'da posted a pic of that too, but my camera card was full.

The 'Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool but you mean you haven't been shoveling the snow?</div></div>

Well, actually I did go over the turnips with the Rhino snow plow several times this winter to keep them exposed. They got a few hits. There is too much snow on the ground now for me to get to the turnips with the plow, but they are absolutely pounding them now. Don't know what finally turned them on, but something did.

The 'Bonker

Noticed the same thing here. Not near the amount of snow as to the north, but just now starting to see a lot of pawing for the nips'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't know what finally turned them on, but something did.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

The threat of starvation?

The lack of anything else to eat?

The cost to benefit ratio (energy expended for the food value of turnips, rather than random pawing for acorns/waste corn)?

If they didn't touch them when other food stuffs were available, are turnips that desirable of a plot plant?

Just some random questions that pop to mind. I'm not that far from Bonker and the deer have devastated my cedars, so I think they are looking for last resorts.

Are turnips a last resort?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't know what finally turned them on, but something did.

The 'Bonker </div></div>

The threat of starvation?

The lack of anything else to eat?

The cost to benefit ratio (energy expended for the food value of turnips, rather than random pawing for acorns/waste corn)?

If they didn't touch them when other food stuffs were available, are turnips that desirable of a plot plant?

Just some random questions that pop to mind. I'm not that far from Bonker and the deer have devastated my cedars, so I think they are looking for last resorts.

Are turnips a last resort? </div></div>

Randy,
Good questions.

When I am able to walk again I will head North and see what they are doing to my turnips also. We had ice though before anything else hit and they hardly touched them. That first thaw really loosened them up though. They were hitting my cedars in the food plot the first weekend in December and not even touching the turnips.

Watched them also hit the clover right next to the turnips and then walk thru the turnips with out a nibble.

Saw them decimate one of my turnip plots though right behind my barn.

Yea I am rambling because half the time I do not think they know what they want. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The deer are finally hitting my turnips. </div></div>

Cool! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom