Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Finished off a sick Buck.

pete

This morning I was walking back to my truck from bowhunting, on my way out I heard a bunch of noise coming from the bottom of a ditch. I snuck up there to see what was making all of the noise, I peaked over the ridge and just got a peek of a nice set of antlers. I krept back and posted up against a tree and grunted a few times to see if I could lure the buck within shooting range. After 30 minutes I gave up I figured the buck went back into the adjoining cornfield. I walked back over to the ditch, where the buck was to see if there was maybe a big rub or scrape there that he was working. When got over the small hill, the buck was still there, and he was just walking in circles. I was about 20 yds. from him and decided to put him out of his misery. I called the County Conservation Officer and he came and removed the head to send it in for CWD testing. The buck probably grossed around 150" he was a mainfraim 5 X 5 with a double brow tine on the right side and a 4" kicker coming of the left mainbeam. Beatiful rack.

That was my question too. When the head was removed, was it caped to allow for you to get it back for mounting?

Not Likely....CWD is a contageous and reportable disease that the state is keeping tabs on (no cases in IA....yet) The will probably destroy the skull plate harvesting the testing sample. Most likely situation was a case of vestibular disease (a portion of the brain that controls equilibreum...) COuld have been due to fighting, infection, growth, viral disease, or even CWD

I'm not sure, but I think since he shot it, in order to keep the rack he'd have to use his tag. Congrats on doing the right thing though
waytogo.gif

NWBuck

The C.O. took the rack, and told me if I wanted it I could get it back in a couple of weeks. He said that CWD was probably not the problem with this buck because he had a healthy looking body, he said he may have broken his skull plate fighting or have some sort of parasite.

Wow 150!! You always hear of someone finding bucks Locked in battle, but never going in circles, hope you get the rack back!!! the meat was in Q, probably coyote feed now!

A buddy of mine had the exact same deal a few years back during shotgun season. He was driving down the road, and saw a nice buck out in the feild walking in a small circle seemingly dumbfounded. As it turns out he walked nearly right up to it before putting it down. He brought the rack up to me at work to show it to me, HEAVY 11 pt on the down hill side of his life. All the tines were pretty short vs. mass and the spread was way wide. I had always wondered what might have been wrong with this deer.

It's good to see a honest hunter who did the proper thing.I know without a doubt,some hunters here would of shot the buck, and fabricated some type of story on how they killed it.Hopefully your good deed will be rewarded with a bigger buck.
waytogo.gif

very good job, nice to see a hunter that uses his good judgement.
applause.gif
applause.gif
Hope you are rewarded for doing the right thing....

Top Bottom